eastman guitars single cut (namm)

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by dmoss74, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i went to eastman's namm show booth today, to see what new arrivals they might have. i was looking for new acoustics, but low and behold, they were debuting a new LP sc model. they had two models (with two variants of each). one style was a sunburst nitro finish, while the other style was a hand finished varnish burst, with an aged look to it. here are a couple photos

these were extremely light guitars (8 lbs), but without any weight relief. i played one of the varnish ones, and it played--and sounded--very nice. it comes stock with duncan antiquities.

the prices weren't too astronomical, either. 1500, for the nitro, and 2k for the varnish. the horns are a little funky, but they aren't going for a complete copy.

Attached Files:

DADGAD likes this.
  2. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have a few Eastman guitars, and they are fantastic. These should be great as well.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Look great. I`d love to try one.

4. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

the one i played was exceptional. the neck was a little chunkier than my R0, but came nowhere near baseball bat territory. the weight (or lack thereof) was what i instantly noticed. the overall quality was exceptional as well. i wasn't thrilled with the taper of the pots (they are cts), but that's just me nitpicking.

i have owned (and currently own) quite a few eastman acoustic guitars. forget the fact that they are bargains for the specs...they are fabulous instruments, and these sc axes were no different.

5. Leddyman

Leddyman Senior Member

I'm not sure why every guitar manufacturer has to put SD's in their guitars. I always have to replace them. They have too much treble and sound harsh to my ears. Navigator does it and I have had to replace the pickups in both my Navs.

6. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Wow they look nice. Was that an DOT style hollowbody next to them too?

Any word on pricing?

7. korus

korus Senior Member

I'll play a kind of a guessing game, so anyone can enjoy, no matter if I was right or wrong.

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/sb59v has no spec on hardware but http://www.maxguitarstore.com/products/eastman-sb59v-antique-amber/ helps with it.

'Gotoh relic hardware'. So, it is metric. Bridge is obviously 104B, from the pictures. This bridge have saddles with not enough copper/with too much zinc (white color in slots), but these are not as harsh sounding as Gibson ABR-1 saddles.

It does not matter if the tailpiece is Zamak (heavy) or aluminum(light), Gotoh have brass studs. It will not have piercing highs/treble, but it will sound muddy in neck and thin in bridge, like all Gibson USA LPs since 1975 - not enough punch and definition to cut through any live mix with authority. Bone nut (less mids more highs than Nylon), ebony fretboard (less mids, more attack) and being light (8lbs - less lows and low mids) makes it even worse with this hardware combo. The hardware can be replaced to proper one (although with metric->imperial 'fun' with changing), but not enough mass will always keep it closer to ES than LP, tone wise. It can be turned into a good sounding Gibson 2HB guitar, but not a monster LP, more of ES/SG. There is also a question which wood is used ... but it is simply too light, it is probably a bit thinner than a proper LP.

I obviously did not (have a chance to) play it but at some point in a few months time someone will probably chime in here and comment if my predictions were correct or not. Please, whoever reads this : once you play it, do write a review/your impressions here.

8. BGD

BGD Senior Member

No Gibson Les Paul made since 1975 can "cut through" any live mix? Respectfully, I think this a problem with the FOH people, and not 40 years of guitars. (And I carry no torch for Gibson.)

9. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

nor do i. i assume it has something to do with seymour doing a very nice job of pitching his wares. i can also assume that he can offer a relative value to guitar makers, on a wholesale level.

i played the guitar through a little supro combo, and it sounded very nice. but i, too, would replace the pickups, if i ever bought one.

10. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

After watching a lot of NAMM coverage on facebook last night (by the way Wildwood has been streaming live with Greg Koch and its freakin awesome) and reading some threads its amazing how iconic the gibson and fender brands are in the industry. Its' like here we are, almost 60 years after these guitars were invented and there are still companies trying to make a better les paul or strat. I mean, I know Suhr was at fender for a while, but nearly all of his guitars are fender copies! Nothing wrong with that at all, its just amazing

11. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

here are some more shots of their electrics. they have others (jazz boxes), but these are the lp/335 and a couple others.

Attached Files:

12. korus

korus Senior Member

SD Antiquities have A2 magnets that are not fully charged=magnetized. It does give that vocal quality to single notes, but weak magnet makes riffs sound soft and muddy/undefined, and it gets worse with higher gain. Replaced with fully charged A4 or UOA5, at least in bridge, makes them more universal/suitable for common PAF applications.

It's a $30 and 1 hour job. And pickups do not need to be de-soldered from pots while doing this, but it takes some knowledge and experience. Pretty much like with any job.

13. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

yeah, btdt many times with magnet swaps. the thing is with these duncans, i'd just rather sell them as new, and let someone whom would actually want them to have them. there are any number of pickups i'd rather have in any guitar instead of duncans; but that's just me.

14. Boj

Boj Junior Member

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but wanted to mention that I received one of the prototype Eastman sb59v guitars from the guy who designed it Pepijn Hart. Mine got damaged in transit and the guy offered me the prototype as a gesture of goodwill. Just a great guitar in many ways and I've been collecting for thirty years and have played a variety of Les Paul's in that time. The sound (Duncan antiquities), quality of woods (same source as Collins) and that real old vintage vibe - just love and what superb customer service. Just a great guitar and for the money pretty hard to beat in my humble opinion - I just can't put it down. IMG_1131.JPG

nigelthebald likes this.
  15. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Wow, that is wonderful. The Eastmans are really quality guitars.