Early MIC Epiphones

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by noobyXD, Nov 22, 2017.

1. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

So I came across this listing of a very early MIC Epiphone. Made in Deawon Plant, China
    on October, 2003.

How are the Epiphones made then? Are they close/good to the MIK ones or the morden MIC Epiphones you get in the shop are far superior to those made in 2003. Would like to get as much information as possible.

The electronics are all stock btw.

Furthermore, does anyone knows how much its worth? The listing states $350 but I can trade it for a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX and hoping he could do a $100 top up (all in SGD).

Send help. In dilemma right now.

- Another Les Paul Lover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

I have a 2003 MIC Les Paul that is super. Better fit and finish than my '96 MIK. Price wise, that equates to about $260 USD, so that's consistent with good US used prices.

3. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

Sound wise how does it sound? Also, are the stock pickups good?

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

The pickups are typical Epiphone 57 ch . They clean up nicely with the tone at 9-10 and the volume backed off a little. I personally like them, but they are not "as good" as Gibson 57s clean. They dirty up great, though. I actually swapped in a pair of them into a Gibson LP that I use for jamming with my brother. In 15 years no one has ever said,"That sounds like an Epiphone."

medic24 and El Greco like this.
  5. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

The only Chinese Epis I got on with were the Qingdao plant models post 2003, their first runs seemed to be hit and miss.

6. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

IME, the Chinese made Epis have always been just as good as the Korean or Indonesian made ones.

There is xenophobia in the rumor that Chinese made products are inherently inferior.

7. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

No, there really isn't; The #1 recommended Epiphone here is the tribute plus which funnily enough is made in China.

The issue here is that Saein, Unsung, Fine I, and for the most part Samick have an excellent reputation for making quality instruments for good reason. That's without even mentioning Peerless who's build quality is arguably the best outside of Japan.

Epiphone used a lot of different factories in China I can name around 6 but I'd bet there is more. The QC of the Epiphones coming out of China in general were hit and miss not only between factories but between production runs.

The consensus years ago when I frequented this forum was the Indonesian made Epis were of superior quality but I have found the opposite to be true. I have gone through a lot of Epiphones myself and handled an infinite amount more, and I always get what I am expecting with the Korean built instruments, which I'd argue you will also get with modern built Chinese instruments which are way more consistent than even the better made Korean models.

8. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Sure it is. I didn't say that noone but me recognizes the quality of the Chinese made Epiphones, but rather, that those vitriolic comments about China, along with the out-of-hand dismissals of Chinese-made products often voiced in this forum, and elsewhere, are largely based on a prevailing feeling of animosity toward who is considered to be an enemy of America, and not based upon objective assessment of the instruments in question.

Again, not claiming it's the majority of people, but that the majority of people expressing this opinion are being influenced, either knowingly or unknowingly, by this general prevalent feeling of unease with the Chinese.

Agreed. Just like in the other factories hired out to build guitars in the other Asian countries.

This has not been the case in my personal, hands on experience. I acknowledge that you are talking about YOUR personal hands-on experiences, and they are just as valid as mine. No challenge there.

I agree here. The current crop of Epiphones are the best they've offered.

I find the MIK, MII, and early MIC offerings to be similarly hit-n-miss, and see no advantage to the MIK over the others.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Their 'tuner alignments' are legendary......:naughty:

Biddlin, truckermde and 07rogersg like this.
  10. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

lolz :laugh2: