Early 60's jr vs 09 61 reissue

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by JT34, Jul 15, 2015.

1. JT34

JT34 Junior Member

Hey guys, I've been a lurker here for awhile and wanted to sign up and ask your opinion on a matter. I recently purchased a 335 thinking that was a "dream" guitar for me. After a few weeks I not a fan of the guitar I bought and don't want to put in new pups to hope I like the sound better, since I'm still within the return window.

Back in 05 I had an SG standard that I really loved but ended up selling because I was strapped for cash. I was debating between the 335 and SG and now just trying to find the SG for me.

I found a good deal on an 09 61 reissue for under 1k which is cool, but I've also seen a few cool early 60's Les Paul jrs with the SG shape for around 2k, which is the sale price of the 335 I bought.

What would be the better play? Go for the reissue, save the extra cash? Or go with the jr and have something old?

Thanks!

2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I think you need to consider whether you prefer dual humbuckers or a single P-90. If you think you would like the P-90 at least as much as having humbuckers, I would go with a vintage Junior over the more modern production Gibson USA model.

Good luck either way!

3. IGRocker

IGRocker Senior Member

Vintage gets my vote!

4. dsolse

dsolse Senior Member

Grab that Jr. Those P-90's cover A LOT of ground. And if the pickup is original to the guitar, they sound fantastic with that old wood.

Do it!

5. JT34

JT34 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply man! I had a Les Paul jr from a couple years back and I do like that p-90 sound.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. JT34

JT34 Junior Member

Good point man, think I'll have to go the old school route!

1 person likes this.