Duncan Hot Rod set questions

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by JoeM, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JoeM

JoeM Junior Member

Hello,
    I put this question in another thread about my Epiphone Special 2, on second thought it maybe should have gone here.

I bought a Duncan Hot Rod set, after doing a good bit of reading about them.
    So long post short, what value volume, tone, and tone caps are you guys running with this set?
    Do these pickups sound good split? I am running Ernie Ball Cobalt strings and I am hoping for a general purpose guitar.

Thanks
    Joe

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

They have a lot of good sounds...the JB is good split or parallel. I don't mind the Jazz split- some don't like it. I run it with 500k pots all around. You may not have to change your electronics at all, if there is nothing wrong with them.

3. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I didn't like a Jazz neck in my handbuilt all mahogany Special D/C and changed it for a DiM H from H. Paired with the JB ( the H from H) it's great. Splits are good but Ive not tried parallel.
    A Jazz neck is nice in a LP with maple top.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

As said in the other thread:
    500k linear volume, 500k audio taper tone
    22nF tone cap, the 47nF SD recommends is much too dark IMHO

5. Warlag

Warlag Junior Member

I put them in a Fender American Standard Strat... all I changed was my pots to 500k ones. They sound great! Especially the neck pickup playing clean. You get a good oomph outta the bridge pickup while useing distortion too. I'm pretty satisfied with them actually... I was thinking eventually getting another pickguard wired in singles for it also then I can easily switch back and forth depending on my moods! Hahaha

6. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I have them in an 8 pound cherrywood Tele, but with 250K pots, no split. Yeah, I'm an oddball.

Love 'em. :dude:

7. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

check the pots you already have for what post length you'll need.

what sounds "good" is really a personal experience. Seymour's JB model is really good pickup, although some people don't like them in singlecut models. it's just a matter of taste. personally, I don't think the Jazz neck is all that, but it is a fave of Seymour's to pair with the JB.... so it gets marketed as a set. and the company really doesn't offer a "matched" neck production model for the JB.

you'll need to play around with if you like them split or not. one is so much powerful than another that it might get a little uneven for some people. for something in the same ballpark that would be a little better matched and can be split to still get all that varitey, check out the Mojotone PW Hornet set or the DiMarzio Dominion set. both are very overlooked and under-rated sets that are really versatile and should not be written off at face value.

when it comes to pots and caps, check out this outstanding article by Frank Falbo from about 2 years ago. it's a shame that the Duncan company couldn't hold on to a guy like Frank. he's super knowledgeable and well-versed in so many aspects of guitars.

C_Becker likes this.
  8. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Not a huge fan of the SH-2 (Jazz) either, its a bit too underwound for my tastes. But then again, I like the 490R which many feel is too muddy.
    Lower wound neck pickup isn't a problem per se,I like using the neck pickup for lower gain sounds, while having the bridge on full power.
    Its just that the SH-2 sounds a little thin for my tastes.

The JB is a great pickup IMHO, really versatile. Loads of mids, you can get a very warm sound out of it for blues and rock, or you can get a great aggressive metal sound, think Dave Mustaine. It has a little more lower mids compared to the similarly wound 498T, which has more upper mid bite. Both are great, just a matter of taste.

All in all though, the hot rodded set isn't bad at all, especially for the money. There isn't much you can't do with those two pickups.

9. Starman

Starman Senior Member

I love SD pickups have them in most of my LP's but that set, especially the JB, I never liked in a LP. Sounded nasal and overly gritty. The jazz neck, meh.

A Duncan Custom SH-5B bridge with a Duncan Jazz Bridge SH-2B In the neck position is a fantastic setup.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017