Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid vs. Duncan Custom Custom

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rocco Crocco, May 2, 2016.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I would like opinions on the differences of these two pickups.

I already have the Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid in a Les Paul type of guitar and I am very happy with it.

I want to swap the bridge PU out of my Epi Les Paul Florentine semi-hollow because I would like something a little hotter, but I am thinking that maybe having the same exact PU in another guitar could be redundant.

I would like to keep the sound of the pickups close, though. My rig is a Line 6 Helix and I want to keep all my patches the same and have either guitar I use sound great, but not necessarily the same.

I play in a Classic Rock/Metal cover band. Bowie to Sabbath to Metallica.

Here's a screenshot of the specs...

[​IMG]

Any opinions?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The CC is quite dark. The beauty of the Custom series is that with a simple mag swap you have the entire series as an option.

1 person likes this.
  3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

IME, the lower the guitar's input fed to the modeler, the better it works in creating custom patches.

HTH,

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Yeah you're probably right. The Helix has an input pad, but it is off when I use the guitar with the 59/Custom Hybrid bridge pu. Another guitar which sports a JB also sounds good with the patches I have set up for the 59/custom hybrid. My Super Distortion equipped Dean sounds like sh!t unless I build a patch from scratch for it.:hmm:

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Mob Rules! I am actually listening to that now...

The Hybrid and CC are nowhere alike to my ears. The CC is all mids, and the Hybrid is way more open. I like and own both. If your ears are used to the Hybrid, the CC will sound strikingly congested, but that is why it works so well in some guitars. I use mine in an alder-bodied Music Man.

1 person likes this.
  6. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Sorry for reviving an old post but for my understanding, a pickup that is "all mids" will cut through the mix better?

I just ordered a 59 Custom/Hybrid to replace the stock PUP on my 2013 Traditional LP. The stock bridge 57 just seems dull, and my fingers fatigue more when soloing with it than any of my other guitars (lacking sustain possibly?). It's frustrating for me to try and explain, so I hope that makes sense. I like a scooped mid sound for leads but as I've learned that's not favorable in a band mix and boosting mids and highs loses something for me. The stock neck PUP seem too muddy so if the 59 C/H works I may give a 59 neck a shot. I went with the 59 C/H due to the mid boost to help with cutting through the mix issue I'm also having. Kind of wondering if the Custom Custom would have been a better choice for that :dunno: Oh well.

Of course after placing the order for the new pickup I see posts touting the benefits of switching to 500k pots :hmm: :facepalm:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Upper mids is where cut resides. Lower mids like in the CC causes congestion where the drive can get flubby, but also in the bass guitar crossover.

Neck pickups will always sound muddy if you set up your guitar and amp specifically for the bridge pickup. If indeed you have a 57 classic for the neck then I'm not surprised. Maybe the Duncan Jazz would be the trick.

jep1210 likes this.
  8. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Oh good another pickup option, hahaha. I kid of course, I'll look into the Duncan Jazz as soon as I see how the 59 works out.

Good to know about the different mids...there's so much to getting tone right. :dunno:

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

59's are typically a muddy pickup in the neck. The wind and the A5 mag make for a boomy bass. Quite frankly I see the 59 as their most overhyped pickup in stock form......and I will never buy another one.

Benjammin likes this.
  10. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Well... a stock '59n or any neck p'up for that matter, can be muddy... but only if not set up right. But, this specific wind's been known to gracefully take magnet swaps for almost four decades, so, if mud is your problem, just try it with an A4, an A3, an UOA5 and even an A2 will help to solve the mud problem. All it takes is to set the height right for every single magnet. Even my least favorite, the stock A5, which I abhor.

My actual #1 guitar for a Smooth Jazz project is an ES-339 w/ an A3n/A2b-modded, nickel-covered '59 set. And, for the record, the neck p'up is the polar opposite of mud.

As I often say: it's not the hammer, it's how you use it.

HTH,

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    BlueCajun likes this.
  11. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Neal Schon uses a Custom Custom in his hollowbody PRSs. I don't know how he does it, it's so warm already. I think he does it now because his tone used to be so bright with his processing gear that now it balances it out. I just saw Journey this year and his tone was sick, but for me I think the CC would be too dark. But then again, I do run through Blackface/Silverface amps, so...

I love the hybrid, I think for me it's a great bridge pickup. I'm torn between do I love low output pickups and gassing it up with higher gain pedals and amps, or do I like a hotter but not scorching pickup. So I have guitars with both options. That said, the Hybrid really is the best for bridging that gap between a PAF-y pickup and something a tick more modern like a Custom/JB.

I have a Duncan Custom (not to be confused with the Custom Custom) in one of my PRS guitars but I think I might swap it for the slightly less hot 59/Custom Hybrid. I think that will happen.

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

A Custom Custom is a great pickup if you are the only guitarist in the band. It doesn't blend well with many other guitars (maybe a Tele player), but takes up lots of sonic space.

jep1210 likes this.
  13. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Whoof, that's good to know. There are two other guitarists in the band...I know, I know :mad2: but it can't be helped. I had considered that PUP but I'll scratch it off the list.

14. jktxs

jktxs Junior Member

I think the SD tone chart is spot on regarding the Custom Custom.
    Lots of mids and smooth highs, bright and fat. The low end lacks power and is too squishy for precise metal riffing.

15. JLT73

JLT73 Senior Member

Another one to check out is the Duncan Pegasus. Its essentially a tamed down JB but tighter. Great all around pickup

Zoobiedood likes this.
  16. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

some people seem to think that it bares little resemblance to an actual '59 PAF. I know that I seemed to be disappointed by the relative newer ones with the ROHS style stickers on them. I picked up a set of older ones with the old 'stamped sticker' commonly found in the 80s and it was like a different set of pickups.

it can be the case with a lot of models from that company and there are players that appear to be finding tones that suit them better from tracking down the older models. even the ones with ceramic magnets, which don't degauss like alnico.