Dumped the Graph Tech bridge. Sounds better, looks better.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Ayton, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Never quite trusted the Graph Tech bridge that came on my old 'graintop' when I bought it used. The saddles, no matter what graphite-infused jargon you use, look and feel like black plastic. Doesn't seem like a great contact point for the strings.

Sunday, I finally got around to switching it out for something more traditional. Had a nice ABR with brass saddles in the parts box for at least two years, so I just drilled the post holes out to 4.5mm and it fit nice and flush on the Nashville posts. The guitar is immediately louder and more open. Looks sexy, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: This isn't a conversion, I know I'm not getting the benefit of an ABR with direct body mounted posts etc. It's about getting rid of those String Saver saddles for something made out of metal.

joe_1970, rdbear7d, jcsk8 and 6 others like this.
  2. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Want to sell me the graphtech bridge? Message me, I'd like to have it.

mdubya likes this.
  3. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

That’s a seriously cool plaintop...wow
    :drool:

-Chris

jaycoyoyo and mdubya like this.
  4. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Sure. Was going to eBay it.

Can you say what you like about them?

XpensiveWino likes this.
  5. hamerfan

hamerfan Senior Member

The resomax bridge come with different kinds of saddles. This one comes with string saver saddles. I have the same combination and i like it very much on a ES clone. A bit less spikey highs like nylon saddles.

RichBrew likes this.
  6. XpensiveWino

Thanks, I'll message you.

For a few years now, I've used them and graph tech nuts on my guitars when I can find them at a reasonable price. Strings don't break, they help with staying in tune, and I do find them to be warmer and more resonant. I tend to aim for a Dickie Betts warm tone, so they suit me well.

That's my two cents. The tone part people could dismiss as more snake-oil tone genie nonsense, and that's fine. I do firmly believe I could quantify less broken strings and better tuning stability when using them.

I can't speak to the composition from a chemical or scientific standpoint other than to say graphite is certainly a metal, and MANY great tones came out of non metal nylon nuts and saddles. Not looking to debate your preference, I'll always say use what works best for you.

I have a new Traditional I've been wanting to put one on. They work for me.

RichBrew and mdubya like this.
  7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

In my experience, both Graphtek and Tusq products are "solutions" for problems that don't exist. They yield slight degradation in exchange for "fixing" situations I never experience anyway. If yu're constantly breaking strings with an ABR, your doing something way wrong, or have improperly notched saddles. As for improving tone, if absorbing high overtones is an improvement, then, well, I guess so. But the rest of us know how to use a tone knob, and prefer to retain those highs even if we don't always use them. I'll take bone nuts over Tusq any day, and brass or steel saddles over "graphite" any time. I'd love to meet those guitarists who find themselves breaking strings all the time. Intense whammy users are an honest exception. Everyone else -- just don't play with a hacksaw.

northernguitarguy and jcsk8 like this.
  8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

+1. +1!!!!!!!

:drool: :wow:

Christosterone likes this.
  9. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Cheers, lads. Here's a nice one from the NGD some time back.

Christosterone and mdubya like this.
  10. XpensiveWino

Well, there it is. End of discussion.

I'm glad you're confident in your beliefs when it comes to something as subjective as an individual player's tone. I am equally confident in my assessment. The difference is, I am concerned with my tone, not someone else's that I've never heard play. As I noted in my post "use what works best for you".

I know how to use my tone knob just fine, and do so to make my tone work. Good day to you.

endial and RichBrew like this.
  11. vetteman

vetteman Member

I put Graphtech saddles on an adjustable bridge on my old PRS and made the mistake of trying to adjust the intonation screws without loosening the strings and the graphite saddles crumbled. My error, but maybe this can save someone else's day.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  12. Latearrival

Latearrival Senior Member

Firstly - Graphite certainly is NOT a metal! Graphite is a form of carbon, where the atoms are arranged in layers which can slide over each other, giving good lubricant properties, and allowing the conduction of electricity...

Secondly (despite the name) Graphtech products use a composition consisting mostly of PTFE (Polytetraflouroethane) - as used on non-stick frying pans (Teflon) and claimed to be 500% more slippery than Graphite!

XpensiveWino and Ayton like this.
  13. Latearrival

Latearrival Senior Member

It's funny how people always thing "the old materials are always best"!

I agree that graphtech saddles could change the tone, in fact they claim as much on their website - claiming more mids (which is obviously what the OP likes), however I prefer a bright tone, and stick with steel for saddles.

But I had the original nut replaced with a tusq nut, and I think it is better than bone. It's certainly better than the original "corian" material Gibson use! I know it's not the most scientific test, but my guitar tech demonstrated how different nut materials sound (for open strings at least!) by dropping them onto a concrete floor! The tusq was the brightest and most resonant mateial - more so than bone. A corian nut landed with a dull thump......

People who break strings regularly most likely have a sharp edge or irregularity on the saddle (something that doesn't happen with Graphtech saddles) or are simply hitting them too hard! I break about 3 or 4 strings a year, and it is always after they have been on a few weeks.....

14. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

Ahh. It's good to learn something about what's actually in these products. Do you happen to know what's in their ResoMax alloy, which is what they build bridges etc from? With the saddles, I could just tell that they're not cold to the touch like metal, but room temp, plasticky, and I thought this might be responsible for the softer tone. (Which seems to be true. On their site, Graph Tech makes note that you will lose the familiar 2kHz spike of metal.)

However it's become clear to me that I shouldn't have used the word "better" for metal saddles in the title. We're all looking for something – I've probably had six sets of pickups in this guitar alone – and tone is so subjective. I don't like that anyone feels as if they're on the back foot for preferring the GT, or nylon, or whatever gets your sound! I'm shooting for something like Gary Moore's Stripe, and sometimes I forget that not everyone has the same idea of perfect LP tone.

endial and XpensiveWino like this.
  15. XpensiveWino

Hmm, interesting. I'm always happy to learn, and be corrected. Now I have to go learn what constitutes a metal. Thanks for the correction and insight.

endial likes this.
  16. XpensiveWino

@Ayton and I got a deal worked out. I finally got around to installing it. Boom! IMG_20171215_224628127~2.jpg

Donal, Ayton and rdbear7d like this.
  17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I install the supercharger kit on all my guitars. Don’t care what it does, don’t care if it snake oil, for me, I like how it looks

XpensiveWino likes this.
  18. Ayton

Ayton Senior Member

It's great that, thanks to MLP, I can see my old bridge get a new job on a sexy Trad, rather than going to some random on eBay or more likely living in my parts bin for years.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  19. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

No opinion on the bridge discussion, but MAN that is a pretty guitar!

20. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Chris took the words right out of my mouth!! Gorgeous top!! Love the subtle burst! :applause: