Dumb questions...I want to add a 3 position mini toggle to a humbucker...

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by old mark, Jun 27, 2017.

1. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I have a 1986 Carvin solid body guitar that has 2 of their humbuckers in it...I want to remove the neck pup, and add a 3 position mini toggle switch for the bridge humbucker...both coils on normal, both coils on out of phase, single coil only. I'm not sure if this is doable with the original pup...
    Any thoughts or experience? OR will I need a pickup designed to do this?I'm NO electrical guy.

Thanks

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Might be the easiest way to go...
    Seymour Duncan for example makes pickups that are splitable, and they have wiring diagrams to show how to split and reverse phase them.

Win/Win!

3. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Looking at a hot humbucker from Stew Mac, available with coil split already on it...I might just settle for that.

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

dig around here a little for some possible solutions
    http://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/

5. carydad

carydad Senior Member

A pickup out of phase with itself would be...odd. You can't even drop the volume on one coil to mellow out the opposition. I'd recommend serial(normal)/parallel/single by far.

smk506 and old mark like this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

You will need a 4 conductor pickup. A good idea which doesn't require you to add additional switches is the Triple Shot ring, which has small switches to select series/parallel and switch either coil or both.

7. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

The carvin I had came with 4 conducted pickups, I think all their buckers are IIRC.

he triple shot is a good idea, but I think you have to clip the wires on the pickup fairly short don't you? May not be an issue.
    You will also probably need to identify the wires on the carvin pickups and seymore duncan pickups since I doubt they are the same colors. This is fairly easy with a bit of online sleuthing though.

Also, I would listen to carydad. That's the best advice so far in the thread IMO.

8. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I don't clip the wires short, I just wind them and stick them in the pickup cavity. They fit. And yes, you have to figure out the wire colors on the Carvin and translate.