DSL40C end of the line

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tzd, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I think it's an amp that will be legendary with the modern generation of young guitar players. It will be their jcm 800 simply because it's what they grew up on. I will predict in 15, 20 years that generation will be older and you will see posts asking for Marshall to reissue the dsl line.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

I played one from the sweetwater version with a cream back this past monday, amazing amp, easy to dial tipical classic marshall tones, its punchy, not that heavy and records very easily too.

Hopping to get one in the future.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  3. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

I was very tempted by this amp to pair with my 2017 Standard. It's in my budget but I Also gave the Fender Delux Reverb '65 reissue a long listen and I'm extremely torn. Ultimately leaning towards the insanely amazing clean tones of the Fender and adding a pedal versus the seemingly more versatile Marshall. Love the dirty sound the Marshall can achieve but can't get those Fender tones out of my head! The Marshall is the white version and is certainly a classy looking amp.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  4. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Yeah, if you play clean, a Fender is the way to go, though the DSL clean is pretty darn good. But if you want tube breakup, DSL is hard to beat in its price range.

Rhust and thatF-INGflyingVguy like this.
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

The biggest and only real issues I have found with the whole DSL series (except the 100, which I've not tried) are as follows:
    A) While both "channels" are capable of fantastic sounds/tones, they cannot do so with the same EQ/tone control settings. When a great sound is achieved in the "Ultra Channel" if you switch to the "Classic Channel" it is too bassy and tubby. If a great sound is achieved in the "Classic Channel" and switch to the "Ultra" there is not enough beef/bass! What I have done to every DSL I've owned (DSL 5, 15 and 40) is to modify the "Ultra Channel" circuitry to more closely mimc that of a JCM 800 while leaving the "Classic Channel" stock. This helps both channels play more nicely with each other, while still retaining the different tonal, gain, dynamic and overdrive characteristics of each!
    B) The asinine deletion of a good effects loop on the DSL15 on both the head and combo. Heck, even the "lowly" DSL5 has a loop.
    C) Not including reverb on the head version of the DSL15. I could see the difficulty, if it were actually a "real" spring reverb, but c'mon, it's just a small circuit board containing the digital reverb chip and it's associated components.
    D) Also deleting reverb and presence control from the DSL5 was idiotic! Just because some folks want a lighter, more compact and lower wattage amp, does not mean that they want fewer features!
    E) The DSL40 and DSL5 should have been available in head versions, as well as having reverb and loops across the whole series!
    It is my considered opinion that if Marshall had addressed the above issues, the DSL15C & H and DSL5C would have been the best selling combos/low wattage amps Marshall has ever made, even rivaling the DSL40C! To reiterate, the desire for smaller, lighter packages and lower wattage does not equate to a desire for fewer features!

Rant Over,
    Gene

6. gball

gball Senior Member

^^ I would have gotten a DSL-15 head years ago if it had a loop. I like the sound and the power level but it's useless to me without a loop. Don't like or use reverb so that's no deal breaker.

7. Zepp76

Zepp76 Senior Member

Until they've saved up for a real amp? What constitutes a real amp then? The DSL40C is a fantastic amp for the money only let down by the speaker which is easily rectified. It's also not made in China but Vietnam and has no reliability issues whatsoever so where you got the idea from that it's not built to last I don't know! I've had mine a few years now with no problems at all, it compliments my JTM45 perfectly. You seem to have a poor opinion of an amp that you've probably never owned/tried.

8. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

This right here was my issue with the DSL40C. I disagree the the main issue with the amp was the speaker. I ran mine with a couple of different cabs, with and without the internal speaker and the basic problem above remained. In comparison to V30 loaded cabs, I didn't feel the speaker was really a shortcoming of the amp.

As to the "Legendary" assertion, I see no basis to claim that particular amp as "legendary". The amp was not used by any major artist I'm aware of. The amp was not used on any recording destined to become a timeless classic that I am aware of. The amp did not have a long production run (See Peavey Classic 30 for definition of long production run). The only place a DSL40C is legendary is in Marshall's marketing. Being the most decent amp they have done for less than a grand really doesn't qualify for "legendary" status given the level of competition today.

My DSL40C came and went faster than any amp I've ever owned - keep in mind I'm more of a buy and hold type than one that is constantly changing amps. It just was not the amp for me.

Rhust likes this.
  9. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Perhaps Marshall will reissue the Vintage Modern (with cleaner guts)... I believe that was a huge mistake of discontinuing it....

I still have hopes of Milton Keynes not fucking up again with new product releasses....like what they did with the Astoria and Code... Disasters before launch...

10. Gmal

Gmal Senior Member

What can I say? I've had the DSL40C for three years now, and I absolutely love it. Even in a band setting it's got more than enough umpf and sounds great while doing it.

Actually I was a little saddened by the news of it beeing discontinued.

As for the legendary status, it hasn't earned that, but when the kids that grew up playing them today grows up, I can certainly see a demand for them happening in the future.

11. CN24

CN24 Premium Member

Marshall has confirmed the DSL line is still in production.

12. Pwrmac7600

Just took a look at their website and I gotta say I was surprised to see they reissued the jcm900 had no idea. Lol

13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

They'll be obsolete by tomorrow! Marshall, Fender, Orange, et. al. are doomed! People will have to pay people to take away their 'useless' tube amps! You'll NEVER find tube replacements!

How do I know all this? Amp-modelling fans told me, while letting me know I don't know anything about the future of tube amps. ;)

Rhust likes this.
  14. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Some modeling fans might tell you this, but I won't. It's an absurd concept.

Play what gets you there.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Aw, shit. Just having some fun. Little poke to those who will never play a tube amp again, but also need to be 'correct' that their tube amp doom prophecies are gospel.

jdto and hbucker like this.
  16. Pwrmac7600

Just don't let them know that I still own my voodoo vrock and my mesa boogie even though I own an axe fx!

17. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

A Marshall clone, or other British voiced amp is the way to go IMHO.

However, if you want great tone at a great price, then the DSL40c was your best bet. I know it gets picked on because it's reccomended so much, but there's a good reason for it. I recommend it and I don't even own one. I've only played it a couple times, and liked what I heard for the most part. The only reason I don't have one is because I don't need 40 watts. I also have a Bogner. I might not ever find an amp I like more than my Bogner.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  18. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I didn't know they re-issued the JCM900 either... but why? may as well reissue the valvestate.

19. Pwrmac7600

Lol there are some players in the metal community who really like that amp. Lol I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

maybe after being modded? I was always a fan of the modded JCM 800... and you look back at the metal albums of the day, they were all JCM 800s (probably all modded) : Slayer, metallica, anthrax, megadeth, etc... not the 900.. when the 900 came out everyone was like "eww... hey, there's a mesa, let's try that!"