DSL40C end of the line

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tzd, Aug 24, 2017.

1. tzd

tzd Senior Member

According to this new video

2. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Legendary?

Whatever.

3. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Why would Marshall do this? They must have something awesome in store if they are discontinuing this amp. It's not legendary (well it is on the Marshall forum) like a JCM800, but its a solid amp for the money and provides very nice Marhshall goodness.

kiko likes this.
  4. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I was coming to post this.

It really is legendary, at least among home players. An affordable Marshall that gets you all the EL34/12AX7 goodness. It was a game changer. RIP little buddy. Can't wait to see what Marshall tries to follow it up with.

Rocco Crocco, kiko and Rhust like this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

it was a great little amp for the average/home user... in some ways didn't get enough love... maybe they have something better...

you know orange discontinued the tiny terror, which was also loved... only to introduce the rocker 15 and 32 which are loads better... maybe marshall is following suit?

6. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

It seems from what I read in the Orange amp forum, a lot of Marshall players have thought about going Orange or have switched. Still, there are several members there who play both. Amplification is changing at the speed of light from my gleanings. I started a discussion (brief) this past week re: FRFR speakers and I was surprised with a couple of users of those connected to modelers and amp simulator type pedals i.e. the tech 21 Liverpool.

Classicplayer

northernguitarguy and Rhust like this.
  7. alstev

alstev Senior Member

It's Marshall's best selling combo ever I'm pretty sure I remember reading.

Rocco Crocco, Guitar Rod and Rhust like this.
  8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I'm not discounting the value of the amp for players, but "legendary" is a bit over the top.

It just reads like hyperbole and in many ways an untrue statement, or at least misleading.

Very few amps qualify as legendary.

lakeburst and bulletproof like this.
  9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I think legendary is fair. It's all about impact that makes a particular amp "legendary." JTM 45, 1959, 2203/4. JCM800. Their legend came from the music made by them, the people who played them, and the change it made to music. But I think the DSL40C made its own little modern legend by being a good, affordable Marshall for the masses. Mocked for being made in Asia in the beginning, I read the initial posts that wouldn't even give it a chance. But it won people over and made a huge impact to home players as well as gigging musicians. No one really cares if a TSL or JVM moves onto another model. That hasn't really happened since the end of the JCM800. But the discontinuation of the DSL40C seems to bring out the caring in people that owned one or were looking to own one. So it created it's own little legend that will sit it with its more accomplished brethren, perhaps at the kiddie table. It's another signpost in Marshall's history when it probably wasn't anticipated to be.

kiko likes this.
  10. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

I was going to comment hopefully they introduce a decent product line to replace it but ha! It is amazing how much business this company looses to clones/not offering the damn product

A compact 20 watt JTM or JMP etc....

Never!

lakeburst, bulletproof and Guitar Rod like this.
  11. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I wouldn't exactly call the DSL40 a legendary amp either. I think that's a bit overly sensationalist. I'd only consider an amp to warrant being put on the pedestal of 'legendary' based on the music that was famously recorded with it.

With that said its a shame its been discontinued. Its the cheapest Marshall money can buy that doesn't exist as merely a stepping stone that the owner 'makes do' with until they can afford something better.

This is all just my opinion of course.

I'm cautiously optimistic about what Marshall comes up with to replace it. Hopefully it is at least as good.

12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Maybe Marshall can finally come up with a less fizzy buzzy version of the DSL line..

Or

25-watts version of the Super Lead Plexi or JCM800....

13. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  14. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

I've been wanting to purchase a DSL40c.... will be interesting to see what the future holds...

15. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

They are everywhere on the used market and I'm sure will continue to be for quite some time.

I would LOVE a 25 watt version of a JCM800! But I still want the 20 watt Jubilee!

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Knowing Milton Keynes, they'll fuck it up somehow....

17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Omg a 25w jcm800 would be heaven. But for the price they'd charge, why not get a Friedman 20w... that would win in the competition for my dollar.

18. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Lengendary? Hardly! A decent amp for what you pay for it, but "Legendary" is a stretch! It's a British design - made in china (and not built to last, typical of chinese stuff). It gave folks a way to get a taste of what a Marshall could sound like for under a grand - until they saved up enough to get a real amp. I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but that's my two pence!

19. alstev

alstev Senior Member

They're made in Viet Nam.

20. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Come on, now. Why let facts get in the way of a good rant against China?

northernguitarguy likes this.