DS-1 Love!!

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Kris Ford, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Only a DS-1 can does what it does, love it or hate it..this is for those who love it!!
    I had been without one, and was using SD-1..but gotta say..I LOVE the hair it puts on my '74 (modded) Super Bass..mine is new and not shrill at all..on 2203 can be if tone is up too high..(I wonder if the fact it has a bright cap and the '74 doesn't has anything to do with that?)
    [​IMG]
    Instant early 80s metal!!

2. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I bought the black & gold 40th Anniversary model. I never had pedals before, so I chose the DS-1 4A as my first distortion pedal. I like the sound of it.

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

I have one that I have modded with a switch to lift the clipping diodes which makes it louder and less distorted - but I find that the mega distortion is better. The mega has basically the same sound, with more gain available - and more importantly an active bass circuit which allows you to put back what the DS tends to cut out.

4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I've had the same DS-1 since I was 14 years old, I've used it at every rehearsal and show. I did a mod to it several years ago ( I don't remember the name or what I did) and now I like it even more, much more natural and open sounding. Best $40 I ever spent

5. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Interesting that the MD is basically the same as the SD. I've never tried either but liking the idea of the MD I got the Behringer 'copy' the HD300 Heavy Dist. It has a huge tonal range but I don't use it much. I may put it on my board for a change.

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

It really adds that metallic keerrrang of 1981 heavy metal tone with a JMP.:headbanger:

bulletproof likes this.
  7. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Always good to have a Boss DS-1 kicking around. Good for "goosin'" the front end of a tube amp or stacking with other dirts. A classic!

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

I got 2 DS-1... 1 I've bought new and modded with CSG mod while the other was a 2nd hand which was fitted with a JCM mod. Looking to buy the anniversary one cos I like the sound of it but Imma see how it goes.

Really love the JCM modded one more and what's funny is that I've found out that it was made in 1984 but in Taiwan... My bet is that it's most probably the 1st production line model in Taiwan.