DRY Z's V SCREAMIN 82's

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by bsharpflat, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jacco

jacco Senior Member

I have understood from reading about magnet types from Tom Holmes and Dave Stephens that the composition of 50s alnico magnets is quite different from current alnico.
    Don't know when changes occurred but probably before Dry Zs were developed for Tom already experimented with magnet alloys in the 70s to get the right composition. Though it might very well be that Dry Z alnico composition is different from current magnets too.
    What I do know is that Dry Zs had original 50s enamel wire, which they ran out of in 1981. So maybe it's the wire (as Stephens also suggests).

3 people like this.
  2. muccax

muccax Senior Member

i have a few guitars with screaming .... and i dont think they sound thin :hmm:
    i got dry 1982 - pu 2 - dirty tricks - u1000 -u 2000 -screaming 1982
    and i think the amp has as much to say about how the pickup sound
    how can we compare pickup sound when we dont play the same guitar and amp
    and yes i do belive some pickups are much much better than other pickups
    just saying looking at youtube to see a man play this guitar with this pickup dont say any thing about how it sound becourse of the poor quality of youtube
    all the best
    otto

2 people like this.
  3. Thomas/Sweden

Thomas/Sweden Senior Member

I've got the Screamin's in my EG59-50 with a magnet swap, a guitar tech did something but they sounded quite good before too when I rolled back the tone a little bit, which I usually do on most guitars, especially the strats. You can do a lot with the amp settings too like Otto says. The Dry-Z's sound great, can't say anything else but I also really like the SD SH-1 and SH-5 combination.

1 person likes this.
  4. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Banned

Screamin seem to sound different in different guitars. I have found that heavy LP's they sound great in... but a little muddy

5. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

How do you compare the Pu-2 to the Dry Z's...?
    I was very surprised after I switched the 300/80 pots and the caps from my 850 EGF to CTS TVT's Customs and NOS Russian K40-y9 caps. Completely different sound and very good...

1 person likes this.
  6. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

I think the PU-2 have less high end definition and more roundness. At least that is my experience. More output too. If you roll back the volume a bit the PU-2s can be close to Dry-Z.

2 people like this.
  7. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

Thanks Harold, that is fine... I am quite happy with my EGF now...

8. Nostalgia

Nostalgia Senior Member

PU-2's are good pickups. Those Screamin' 82's could sound great too. I had a bunch of them before. I had a particular Screamin' 82 that was very good sounding one after I replaced the magnets to Alnico 2's. When I opened it up to check why that particular pickup sounded as good as my Dry-z's. I found out that it read a little higher than the regular Screamin 82's. And I found out that the wax did not penetrate through the coils.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Banned

Thanks for posting a great picture, Doctor

10. Nostalgia

Nostalgia Senior Member

From what I can remember, I replaced the Pole screws on the Screamin' 82 pickups. The muddiness and nasal tone just disappeared after the mod.

11. brizzle

brizzle Senior Member

No expert here, but have test driven a few of these...tried a 1962ish SG with PAF's(well they were patent sticker, but same guts) in a shop near SF as well as a mid 60s gibson hollowbody that wolf owns(a glorious guitar) and currently have a 79 greco eg900 with swapped in Dry Z's. I've also had pu2's and the original Dimarzios in the greco. Never tried screamin 82's but want to.

First, let me just say they all sounded great, really great. Here's my humble attempt at describing how they sounded.

PAF's - both sets had upper harmonics, a pleasing brightness whether the guitar volume was at 5 or 10. Both clean and overdrive sounded really good and just had a musical sweetness and presence.

Dry Z's - these definitely have the harmonics happening, bright but not as bright. Less present sounding. But nice, musical, distort very well and very similar to the PAF's. Turning down the volume they clean up nice and stay musical, again not as bright as PAF's but still pretty bright. These and Wizz pickups wolf let me try were closest to PAF's I've played.

PU2's - a lot of mid range, overdrives well, think clapton w/ the sg in cream. Cleans are still midrangy but some highs, overdrives very nice. Less musical sounding but nice. Still an awesome pickup I was very happy to gig.

Dimarzio's - Very present, nice and bright, very musical, very beautiful cleans. I still miss the neck pickup's tone 4 years after I pulled them out. Struggled to get overdriven tones to sound right, sometimes too bassy. Phenomenal sounding in middle position.

Sorry for the long post. Just figured I'd try to provide some differences I heard.

8 people like this.
  12. victeve12

victeve12 Junior Member

Hi All. I have Screamin 82 in an EG1000 Custom with long neck tenon, FEB, and the Screamin pickups are the bomb. Great for clean, and overdriven they rock. I have original PAFs and would never swap those screamin. They have this great sound to them. Don't swap magnets, if you don't like them waste your money and get Alnico's from anyone of the pickup makers.

13. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

All I have to say is ... if Screamin's aren't to your liking, try $5 eBay alnico swaps before flogging your $100 Screamin 82's.
    Ceramics work better with 14k ohm bobbins in terms of useful volume + tone control ranges, IMHO .. YRMV.
    If you use the same control settings all the time, my comments might not apply.

14. wulfman

Perhaps you have an EC68-50 if the custom has a long tenon, FEB and Screamins?

1 person likes this.
  15. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I tried a couple sets of S82s and never really bonded with them. I was always under the impression they were a mass production version of the DZs built after Boogie J stopped winding them for Maxon... because he didn't like the results of mass production, and winding them by hand, as is his wont, just took way too long for the quantity needed. :hmm:

Back in those days true spec wire was fairly easy to come by... now it is virtually impossible. I think that is where the main difference between the two lies. It would indeed be nice to have them dis-assembled and analyzed... or better yet, someone should stop by BJs shop in Shibuya and ask him. :naughty:

16. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Short lead Greco DRY Z for sale if someone wants to rip it apart... :cool:

17. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

That short grey lead doesn't look like it originated from a Dry Z pickup.

18. wulfman

I just cracked open a pair of DRY-Z with grey wiring that were in a strat and I think JDB had a single with plastic shielding.

Duane, who is Boogie J? Jun Takano? I'm pretty sure from his blog entry on DRY-Z development that he didn't handwind all the DRY-Zs, only prototype them with Greco/Fujigen for production by Maxon though reliable info is hard to come by.

19. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Yeah... Boogie J is Jun Takano... "Boogie J" is his performing nickname. I thought that information was on his blog, but it is kind of cryptic... and my over-reliance on Yahoo Translate makes it more so! :hmm:

A standardized definition of what "hand winding" actually entails is also quite fleeting... so a face to face would probably be required to get any details... I've tried contacting him on his website, but never got a response. His shop is not far from one of our members digs... but he doesn't seem so interested in DZ or K&T... :(

20. wulfman

Too busy smoking cigarettes I guess...

1 person likes this.