DRY Z's V SCREAMIN 82's

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by bsharpflat, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bsharpflat

bsharpflat Senior Member

Having been mainly a strat and teel man and relatively new to Les pauls
    what the big difference between the Dry Z and Screamin 82 Greco pickups.

Is one that much better than the other and can you mix and match them if you wanted to

2. rastafred

rastafred Senior Member

prices are x10 so have a guess... Many people here swap the ceramic (?) magnets to alnico from Screaming 82. My personal experience is that the Screaming82 are some kind of muddy and don't define at all.

I had them in a EG59-65 and swapped those stock pickups with old Heerby pickups (I guess Alnico magnets) and the guitar became a monster tone. :D

But as most Greco electronics it's well made. Or at leat well intentioned. Everything is finished with vintage braided wire.

So Dry-Z are worth 400 euros? I guess yes. When you have the money.

3. vintageJIM

vintageJIM Banned

as they sit stock, a Screamin 1982 has a ceramic based bar magnet, very likely Ferrite based, and the Dry has some type of AlNiCo bar magnet, reportedly to be AlNiCo 3 but then who really knows.

I have had matched sets of Screamin & Dry, in various guitars, & IMO the difference of tonal properties are night & day.

If you are looking for a more PAF tonal response that is full, rich, and articulate, then the Dry is for U.

If you are looking for a hotter tonal response that is less articulate, often harsh, or brittle, and IMO just cheap sounding, then the Screamin is your girl.

I asked in different forums about the potential for electrical/structural differences between the Screamin & the Dry, other than the bar magnet, and never received a response.
    Are the windings the same, do they have the same # of wraps, do they use the same wire, etc? Who knows .......... I don't .......

Swapping out the ceramic bar mag in a Screamin example, to some grade of AlNiCo mag will likely get you closer to a PAF tone so, that is an option but will it get U a Dry tone?

Who knows ................

Price wise, Screamin pickups can hardly be given away.
    The highest I have seen a matched set of Dry go for is $700, shipping included, from Saint Paul, MN, to Germany ...................

z-clay likes this.
  4. Pinkie

Pinkie Senior Member

The screamin's are quite hot sounding in mine but roll the tone back a touch and they sound pretty good really.Not too muddy to be honest I have heard much worse.
    I'm happy with the screamin 82's

Kris Ford and Udonitron like this.
  5. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Glad to see you are enjoying them StrayCat.
    That is all that matters!

6. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Hit the post once...lag delay, two posts.

7. bsharpflat

bsharpflat Senior Member

So if you already had a vintage Greco MIJ LP with screamin 82's and wanted to swap those out with a pair of Dry Z's is that all that would be necessary to get that Dry Z tone or is there more to it in the pots, wiring, type of wiring etc etc.....

8. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

I think 1982+ Mint Collection Grecos all came with 500k pots and PIO caps and are amongst the better MIJ choices, electronics wise.
    All of mine were wired like this anyway.
    Maybe Wulfman can confirm (or deny) this. He has owned many more than I.
    They compare favorably with CTS pot/Switchcraft wired Les Pauls.
    I understand some earlier budget model Grecos came with 250k pots.

@Udo : Like your new avatar... "Lama Mama" was anatomically disturbing. :D

z-clay likes this.
  9. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

All I have had have 500k pots (linear volume, audio tone) and the EG models have PIO caps. Customs tend to have ceramic caps. I have never thought of changing the pots out of mine or had any pot failures so far.

I'd say the tone of the DRY-Z has very little to do with the construction of the Greco LPs. It has to do with the design of the pickup and wire which were used by Maxon to make them. They used wire imported from the US for the DRY-Z and they were developed especially for the Super Real series by a guy named Jun Takano who still winds pickups under the "K&T" brand. From his blog on the development he was involved up to 1982 but was not involved in the transition to the Fujigen-produced pickups.

Actinic, brizzle and z-clay like this.
  10. Pinkie

Pinkie Senior Member

Such good info here thanks a bunch.

z-clay likes this.
  11. jacco

jacco Senior Member

Nope, I've seen EGF-850s with the 100/300k combo with ceramic caps. My EGC1000 (with stock Dry Zs) has that combo too, as has my EG-800GS (but with PIO caps). MC collection customs can have the 100k/300k combo too with either PIO or ceramic caps.
    PS And lower end 1980/81 500s mostly have 500k pots/PIO cap combo.

z-clay likes this.
  12. supersound

supersound Junior Member

No, I have a 1983 Mint Collection, EG59-65, white custom. It had 300k or maybe 280k pots and ceramic caps. Screamin´82´s, and as said they are pretty harsh sounding. They had somewhat of a good punch to to them, and handled distorted sounds much better than cleans. But although a very warm sounding guitar I hade to turn the tonecontrols down to 3. Can´t remember them being muddy though. Sharp is a better word, in a negative way of you like classic rock. Had a guy compare them to Gibson´s Burstbucker Pro´s at a music store and he rather liked them, "mid-honkey, suitable for early 80´s Accept-metal". The output was slightly below the BBP, but that could as well be due to the Screamin´s having a slightly greater distance to the strings in this case.

As indicated they look very well built, and should be a great frame for a rewind and magnet swap. When talking to a guy who sold a pair he suspected they had a very tight winding, as one of the reasons for the sharp sound. It was after he sold them. In his ad he had described them as "airy". :)

Never tried the Dry´s, but a MIJ-collector told me they were somewhat hyped, and that Gibsons T-Tops were closer to the authentic PAF-sound. I can confirm that, played LP Custom from 1976 recently with T-Tops, and they sounded really good. It had very good sounding wood as well, so that certainly helped, but the neck pickup was the best stock I´ve played.

1 person likes this.
  13. villager

villager Senior Member

DRY-Z are the 2nd best pickups i have ever heard..

2 people like this.
  14. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

Right behind a REAL Gibson PAF

15. Aria

Aria Senior Member

i had once a pair of Dry 1982, i do not know much about them, but they sounded very close to my Dry Z.

4 people like this.
  16. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

I've always been tempted to peel back the outer tape on Dry 82's + Dry Z's to see if
    they are similar and to see if wire is 42 AWG gauge with purple
    enamel insulation like early PAF's, but have resisted so far.

1 person likes this.
  17. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

They both sound very close to my ears...... With the price of Dry-Z's ..... Dry '82's are a bargain.

2 people like this.
  18. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

and the pu-2 too.

3 people like this.
  19. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Short demo => Dry-82's through a Marshall:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLScY-BilOE"]Gibson Les Paul R0 Dry Greco Pickups - YouTube[/ame]

4 people like this.
  20. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

for people how had the chance to play with real paf: are the dry-z really on second position ? or just a bit different.