Dry Z

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by weiht, Nov 6, 2013.

1. weiht

weiht Member

Hey Guys,

I was always under the notion that the vh-1 are the "best" pups from the lawsuit era. Now it seems the Dry Z has a cult following and the prices are insae as well.

Anyone tried both and would like to share their experiences?

2. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Opinions vary between Maxons (including Dry Z's ), VH-1's and Dimarzio vintage PAF's,
    but most agree there are much cheaper alternatives to Dry Z's, that sound pretty good.

Although not hi fidelity, have you considered you-tube demos of each, and of boutique brands ?

3. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

From my understanding and experience the original pickups in Burnys from 1980-1981 are not the same as the later ones called VH-1. Our MIJGuru Jacco will be able to clarify.
    I like the DRY-Z but the L8001 pickups in my Burny FLG are very nice too.

4. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

Dry-Z's for me.......

5. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

I'm fairly certain mine has L8001s, although I know it had VH1s in it at one point and that it still might. They sound awesome. Very balanced set of pups. I could really care less about pickup snobbery, if it gets the job done, I will like it.

6. JDB

JDB Senior Member

A lot of difference in which guitar they are in. 3 sets, 3 different guitars, all sound different.

Jock, classic, MauiCliff and 2 others like this.
  7. villager

villager Senior Member

thats what i like about dryz, they sound good in every guitar, but different...

always the cleanest most defined of the neck pickups though..

1 person likes this.
  8. mertzy

mertzy Senior Member

I love my Dry-Z's in my SA-1200 but the PU-2's in my (long gone) SA-900 would have given the Dry-Z's a run for their money. I wish I had them at the same time so I could compare.

Although very good I don't hear the same magic in my DiMarzio PAFs.

1 person likes this.
  9. EFK

EFK Senior Member

Has anyone taken a Dry Z apart? Reason I ask is because I'd like to know how they compare construction-wise to PU2.

I just took some PU2 apart to check them out, they're nickel baseplate and covers and all of them measure 8K. The magnets are short (T-top length) A5 with a full charge. Also, they're wax potted but only very lightly: it's obvious they were just "dunked" and it was done *before* the covers were installed, so they sound like an unpotted pickup without all the wax gooped up under the cover. These PU2 are very well made pickups.

Dry Z tend to read a little lower, in the mid to high 7K range, and supposedly they are not potted but I've never taken one apart. Is this the only difference from the PU2? Don't know what magnets are used in the Zs.

2 people like this.
  10. villager

villager Senior Member

dryz are usually potted..

11. o0mobius0o

o0mobius0o Senior Member

12. luis

luis Senior Member

Don Mare got a set and made a review some time ago I guess.

13. weiht

weiht Member

Very cool info here..

5 yrs ago, it seems like VH-1 were the bomb, but it seems now that the Dry Z are higher esteemed.

14. PuroMojo

PuroMojo Senior Member

I have now the chance to own two sets of Dry Zs and one set of Dry82s, I like them equally, they have the same character, but 82s are hotter, really nice for some heavier hard rock. Neck is really round perfect sound and bridge,has a spectacular and natural nasal quality.
    Have two sets of VH1 on a double neck Burny that sound really good too, different animals but with a special warmth on them for sure. I d love to try Tokais vintage DiMarzio PAFs one day.

1 person likes this.
  15. EFK

EFK Senior Member

o0mobius0o picture above looks unpotted, can't quite tell. But that's how the PU2 look also - can barely see any wax unless you pull the assembly off the baseplate a little bit, just a hint of a film on the tape. The picture above looks unpotted to my eye.

So do the Z have long mags or short mags, and what alloy?

16. villager

villager Senior Member

factory dry-Z were potted..

17. muccax

muccax Senior Member

hi
    the vh 1 ( the real ones ) are not easy to id
    and there are different models of the vh 1
    so maybe there are a big difference in how people think they sound
    the dry Z are easy to id ,,, and easy to compare to other pickups
    all the best
    otto

1 person likes this.
  18. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

it seems there is different vh1 generations. i know one from the beginning of the "90" with the sticker on the back which is a very poor pickup. sure it is not the same as the first one. dry-z always good.

19. brizzle

brizzle Senior Member

the prices are pretty ridiculous I'll admit. but if you're thinking about it so much you should just get a pair if you can. Sell that mexican strat sitting in the corner or a couple pedals. There are ton of great pickups out there that sounds great. But I've never read somebody had buyers remorse with dry z's. I loved my greco eg900 with the stock dimarzios, tried pu2's and still loved it though it was more midrange. The dimarzios were glorious clean but breakup was just ok. PU2's wanted to breakup fast, almost a fuzzy edge when clean. But with those two sets I had to work a bit to dial in tone I liked. I finally got some dry z pickups and then had a guitar I loved that I didn't have to work too much to get tone I liked. I like it with the volume rolled down or full out, or the tone rolled off a bit, or on 10. Everything just seemed to work the way it should. Clean is very nice. But the breakup is awesome...as good as any beano tone blah blah. Overdrive is awesome with them. I'm sure there are lots of pickups that do that though. Just a first for me. The only thing I miss is the middle position selected with the dimarzios.

1 person likes this.
  20. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

:applause: ....... Totally Agree !! ..... :slash:

1 person likes this.