Drove A Marshall Code. Keeping The Katana.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by wildhawk1, Feb 21, 2018.

1. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Friend brought his Marshall Code 50 over a couple days ago for a jam.

I have a Katana 50.

LOVED the wireless phone app for the Marshall. So easy to use. They deffinately got that part right. Something the Katana doesn't offer.

That's where the love stopped.

It didn't sound bad but nowhere as good as the Katana. To my ears it wasn't a huge step from Fender Mustangs.

He plugged in and proceeded to play on the Brown and Lead settings of the Katana for a good hour adding and tweaking effects and another fan was made.

Maybe when we get to a larger venue where it can be cranked my mind will change but for now I'll pass.

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I think one of the biggest problem is not the amp but the cheap speakers they use. the 4x12 cabinets are $250 new. I cant imagine they are even ok speakers.

I wonder if it would be better to use a full range or guitar speaker with these amps :hmm:

wildhawk1 likes this.
  3. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Maybe.

Noticed it's a closed back unlike the open back Katana. Even the power cord connects to the bottom back corner of the Code. Kinda weird placement.

Can't remember but don't think I noticed a line out. Maybe?

The last thing I want to do with a amp is rip speakers out and try hit or miss replacements in hope of getting it to sound great.

Always teasing the wife about getting a Marshall stack.

She mentioned the Marshall logo as my friend was leaving and I couldn't help but think..... not even close.

:slash: