Dragon Fire Pickups.. I am stunned..

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by blakem, Sep 20, 2010.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Kinda like Darth Vader... or dare I say it, THE POPE HIMSELF! Use your influence and power wisely my friend because with great power comes great responsibility. (Yes I know that's from Spider-Man but the comparison didn't work for me)

2. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I have found a few that surprised me(entwhistle,GFS,dragonfire and giovanni)
    To be totally honest in a blindfold test most of these would pass for much more popular/expensive pu's and most would not be the wiser.
    asian made pu's these days are much better than they used to be.

3. BulldogXTRM

BulldogXTRM Senior Member

Yep including Epiphone pups. What do you think. Lt.?

4. BulldogXTRM

BulldogXTRM Senior Member

Yep including Epiphone pups. What do you think, LtKojak?:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  5. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I don't know about anyone else but for the most part, the Epi pups I've tried have left a sour taste in my (ears). The only ones I liked were in my Epi Dot Studio. They needed to be rolled to 7-8 on the tone but couldn't be beat for sound in that guitar. Even VS some boutique winds the stock epis won out.

6. bill m

bill m Senior Member

Everyone can argue about how good OVERSEA's pickups are. For the price they are a great BEGINNER pickups. I have nothing to hide and will put my product up against any comparable OVERSEA's pickup. The main downfall with them is the cheesy components and no matter how good the coils are wound the components will always shine through. Any discerning hear will hear it and is why you don't see many, if any, professional musicians using or endorsing these products. I don't know of, personally, any OVERSEAS pickup that uses plain enamel. or heavy formvar for their products, which are 3x's the cost and I stongly believe that these types of wire make a large contribution to the tonal outcome of a pickup along with using quality correct components. Also I cannot compete price wise with someone making $1 an hour who doesn't give a rats ass about the product they are making and it shows in every OVERSEA's pickup that I've ever seen. I take pride in every pickup that I make and you can count on them being consistent.

3 people like this.
  7. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

I don't think anyone sane would compare products like yours to these. Definitely not in the same market. :dude:
    I think the initial intention of the OP was to say hey these $35 pickups are not as bad as you might expect and maybe someone with a limited budget might consider them with less skepticism if they are not getting what they want out of their stock pickups.

For example for my $3k R8 I would much rather save and put a set of ECP's but for my memphis strat copy maybe a $75 loaded guard would work fine.

3 people like this.
  8. bill m

bill m Senior Member

My post was more of a rant and if I offended anyone I humbly apologize.

9. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Your stuff is awesome btw Bill when I am able I'd love to try them.

10. bill m

bill m Senior Member

Thanks Decoy.

11. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

great post and i agree,

1 person likes this.
  12. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

My thoughts on these artec types is this: they usually sound good, rarely great BUT for a beginner or someone new to swapping you can experiment for a fraction of a cost of the big names or boutique. For the cost of 1 Duncan which may not suit you, one could try 3 different styles of dragonfire or gfs. You can start to find if you like alnico 2 or 5 or low or high output...or PAF or modern style pickups. Its a great lower cost learning experience. Besides I've found a few that were keepers. Giovanni and certain GFS models amongst them. I've tried the dragonfire screamers but high output ceramics aren't my thing. Im keeping them tho to use on a guitar I'm rebuilding. I plan to check out some other Artec pups in the future too. I won't put them in my Gibsons...but they're great for import axes. The way I see it tho there are diminishing returns as prices climb. I love my rewinds and am always in awe of the tone...but they arent 3x better than the good GFS...and the 57s werent even 2 times better. The gap between a great pickup and a good pickup is not that wide.

3 people like this.
  13. jeebus2002

jeebus2002 Senior Member

Not to bring this thread back from the dead but I figured I'd chime in JUST about the screamers. I mentioned that I had them in a guitar but found them too modern and, well ceramic...but planned to use them in something else. Well I finally installed em...and I'm a bit impressed this time. The guitar was my first electric. It is an old pre-greg bennet (iirc)Samick UM4 PRS clone that I got in the 90s after having decided to switch from bass guitar. It had been sitting without pickups or strings for years until I took it out and noticed it was actually really well made. Good looking mahogany back and a very thick 3 piece maple cap. I figured I might try to revive it. So in go the screamers and new wiring. Now, I'm not great at setting a guitar up but I got the string heights right and it sounds OK as far as that goes. I'm sure the neck and intonation are wonky but it sounds good enough to test. So I strung it up, tuned it up and plugged it into my Bugera v55hd and peavey cab. Wow! The pickups sound way different. They are smooth and even a bit hollow and woody...but drastically louder than PAF styles. I figured this guitar would be good for metal chugging with my more angsty friends and it doesnt disappoint. With a metal zone pedal engaged on the vintage voiced gain channel and a touch of chorus I was taken back to my moshing days. However surprisingly even with all that gain I could still roll back the volume to get a really pleasant clean sound. I'm really excited about how good this ax sounds not only at metal but I could even manage some classic rock with it. I installed coil tapping which sounds pretty good, but not a big difference. Either way...goes to show that what doesn't work in one guitar may be great in another.

1 person likes this.
  14. fett

fett Premium Member

15. notryt

notryt Junior Member

Just a quick note I had a set of dragonfire screamers in a agile ghost until i put in Zakks and they were good.... the bridge I found a bit lacking but I think I payed $24 for the set... I prefer Giovannis as my preferred humbuckers i have gvh 1s and 2's in several of my guitars.. and for 1/3rd of the cost of duncans I get 2x the performance. My preferred pups before I found these gems were the evolutions, for metal I still may prefer them. I prefer passives over active because they have character and actives all sound generic.

16. jcart

jcart Junior Member

i was going to look at some parts but then i found this...hey Ken can i hear your side?
    Purchased from: TNT Custom Guitars

Features: Assuming made in 2012-13... China Kit. This is a "Build it yourself Kit" advertised as "Apply your own finish" and put it together. 21 fret 25 1/2" scale Maple neck... Doesn't fit 24 3/4" scale body. Thin "Burled" maple veneer on Basswood body, you finish it yourself. This is a "copy" of a Music Man Axis style guitar, with a chrome Floyd Rose unit, one volume control and a 3-way switch. 2 humbucker configuration. Tuners are no-name. Comes with a patch cord and strings. Again, this is a "Build it yourself" kit. // 1

Sound: Once I got this guitar together, there were MAJOR problems (outlined in my "Overall Impression" review). Pickups are hot, but very thin, and aren't anything special at all. No bottom end, no discernible top end... just... bland. I'm running it through a basic amp setup. No effects other than some amp reverb. My Strat and Kramer Striker sound awesome through this amp. The 3 way switch is VERY noisy, and impossible to not hear a 'creak and click' when switching pickups. Volume knob seems ok. Even roll off. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, this is a "Build it yourself" kit, and advertised as "You paint/stain/finish it yourself, and put it together." Everything is supplied, all hardware (screws etc), parts (tuners, Floyd Rose bridge/nut etc) and pre-drilled Body (including binding around edge of body), predrilled and finished Neck (for tuners, not for attaching to body). So where do I begin? Out of the box I saw that the edge binding wasn't applied properly, and had a "bubble" along the bottom edge. Had to be cut an reglued, so it's not a "seamless" install. The predrilled hole for the pickup switch was drilled off center, so in order for the switch to fit, I needed to modify the hole... The Floyd Rose "whammy" arm didn't screw all the way on, so it was impossible to tighten it, so it swings all the time... But these are minor annoyances compared to trying to set the intonation on this kit once built. It is impossible. Drove me nuts for about half an hour, when I realised that I couldn't move the bridge saddles back far enough to get the intonation setup right. So, oout came the ruler. Measured the neck and found it's a 25 1/2" scale neck. But in further measurement, the bridge post holes are predrilled at a spec for a 24 3/4" guitar. So, in order for it to possibly work, I needed to either set the neck farther back about 7/8th's of an inch (!!!) in the neck hole, or get another neck of the proper dimensions. So, basically this is an unplayable kit as it is out of the box. I got around this because I had a spare 24 3/4" neck from another guitar that I fit onto this kit, but I shouldn't have to supply my own parts. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Within a week, the cheap Floyd Rose nut that came with this stripped out a thread hole on one of the clamps (I know not to overtighten FR string clamps, I have one on my Kramer) but this was hardly tightening it. So now I have to get a replacement nut already. Don't think the Floyd will hold up to regular abuse. I doubt that this is indeed a licensed FR, but that's just my speculation. I would need to do major part replacement before I would consider using this live (pickups, switch, etc). The finish should hold up... Heck, I finished it, although the "burled" Maple top on this is as attractive as plywood grain. Just shows "Cheap." // 1

Overall Impression: I play an EVH style, but tend to lean more to the Blues side of playing (SRV, Johnny Winter, ZZ Top etc). I've played for over 20 years, and have several other guitars like my 68 Strat re-issue (which I've beaten to hell and back), Kramer Striker, Gretsch Electromatic, Steinberger "Spirit" and others. I've made my own guitar bodies as well with parts from other guitars (which is why I had the spare neck). I wish I had asked the Youtube guy that I saw these kits used before I bought one. I'm sure he would have steered me away. With all the failings of this guitar, I found the biggest failing to be from Ken, the owner of "Dragonfire Guitars"/TNT Custom Guitars and his customer service. When contacted about the scale/neck problem, his only solution was for me to send the Floyd Rose bridge back (at my expense) and he's send me another Floyd Rose that had "more range of motion." I had to insist that it wasn't a FR problem, as per specs directly from FR's website, the post holes would still be wrong, and I don't know of ANY FR saddle movement that will compensate for almost an inch out of adjustment. While he ignored my request for him to show me a pic of such miracle Floyd Rose, as I wasn't going to drop another penny on this P.O.S. kit, he only replied once I got angry and sent him another email, to which he effectively just wrote me off. No effort to make me happy... No other solution. I've seen other message boards since I've got this kit, with some people loving his stuff, and other hating it, but the most common complaint I see is his Customer Service. I was planning on buying more of his kits later on, but with the experience I got from this one alone, as well as his "non-action" at all to make it right I'll never send this crook another penny again. I would NOT recommend ever buying this Kit, nevermind ever dealing with DragonFire Guitars/TNT Custom Guitars/GuitarPartsOnline.com (all the same company). You have been warned! LOL... Cheers. // 1

17. Boppy

Boppy Senior Member

Always delighted to see this thread bumped again.

18. Flingwing

Flingwing Junior Member

I would like to comment on how good Dragonfire pickups are, but unfortunately I never received them. I ordered them on eBay, and they lost them at Erlanger dispatch centre. Because I'm a patient man, and was unaware of the 45 day rule, eBay and payPal will do nothing about my missing pickups. Now, because I'm a patient man I was in contact with TNT several times about this and they strung me along until the 90 day time was up, so now I can't give negative feed back on them.
    Out come being, eBay STOLE my pickups and said "stiff shit sucker". PayPay said "not our problem, stiff shit sucker!" TNT said "we have your money, stiff shit sucker!"
    So the moral of the story, if you don't receive your items within 10 days, start a resolution early and start giving negative feedback early otherwise theses wankers will screw you without the common decency of giving you a reach around!

19. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

20. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Senior Member

Hello,
    I have been posting on this forum for a while. I have posted as well as lurked on quiet a few other forums longer than that.
    In reference to LtKojak, I stand in his defense. He is as knowledgeable if not more so than anyone on this forum. His response to the post was an honest opinion. He got flamed.
    Now for my opinion, flaming be damned. The responses by jcart and Flingwing are more in line with the most common comments about Dragonfire products and their customer service than any high praise for their products.
    I have never purchased anything from them, reason being all of the negative posts, not only here but on a lot of other forums. Most people recommending them just recite them off a list of vendors they have read.
    As for the owner coming on here with explanations, was it to defend his product ? Or because he broke out in a cold sweat from being exposed
    OK flame on.