Dragon Fire Pickups.. I am stunned..

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by blakem, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Charle2kx

Charle2kx Junior Member

Created an account to reply to this thread...

Saw some raging on this thread, just wanted to let you guys know that I picked up a set of HSS active pickups (for 30 bucks on craigslist!) to fit into my project guitar, and it is a significant improvement. Highly recommend, you may have the educated opinion of the elite lt kojak here, but for what it's worth I really like them. Ultimately, I feel like you should just test things out for yourself without regard to price or reputation and see how you like them (blind testing). I bought these on an impulse and I really like them.

Also, I like supporting brands like this whose main goal is to make the customer happy by producing inexpensive decent quality materials. Good for poor people like me.

1 person likes this.
  2. AJ6strinsgsting

AJ6strinsgsting Member

I've ordered both GFS and Dragon Fire pickups. I've been playing guitar for 34 years, got the high priced Bare Knuckle, Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncan's, Fender Custom Shop Pick ups and Bill Lawrence. I don't care what brand the pick up is, as long as it has great tone.... I'm buying it, no matter what brand it is. Kojack, you are just sipping on on your Hater aide too fast and eating a big bowl of stupid , so fast your going to choke. :lol: :laugh2:
    The Dragon Fire Hot Rail is like a cross between a Bill Lawrence L-250, Dimarzio Chopper and the Dimarzio YJM. I put it in the neck position ( rated at 12.28 k ohms) in a a Super Strat set up ..... it's tone to die for, very close in tone with John Sykes's solo in the "Still Of the Night" from his work with White Snake. The other Dragon Fire Hot Rail pick up ( rated at 11.94 k ohms), is in a traditional Strat in the bridge position with Fender Custom Shop, Texas Special in the neck and mid position. This pick up sounds different with the type of wood the guitar is made of and the electronics in it. I can get an S.R.V. Tone or an Yngwie tone when I get in to hyper staccato picking or go into a smooth Allan Holdsworth legato hammer and pulling in full distortion mode. And the clean tones are a bell like tone that rival Chopper or a YJM ( now called a HS-4). The Dragon Fire Screamers are like a Dimarzio X2N, an Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, with the sensitivity to harmonics that are very Evolution sounding. The GFS "Little Killers" are great too ( Rated at 15k ohms), that pick up ended my desire for the Dimarzio Fast Track 2, since the "Little Killer has more treble response, cleaner mids and more focused bass response than a Fast Track 2. :dude:. Go ahead Kojack you can shop for Big Brand names, some of us are after tones that individual sounding.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I know how the OP feels finding pu's that were inexpensive and really great sounding to HIM!
    I recently had the same experience for a $65 investment when i took a chance on a set of used MHD handwounds that i knew nothing about.
    These MHD's turned out for me to be the very best sounding and feeling under the fingers pu's I have tried in over 25 years this i will put on my gravestone!:slash:

2 people like this.
  4. Davio

Davio Alchemist Extraordinaire Premium Member

Very late to this little meeting (must have missed the memo).

Let me say that in addition to pickups by Seymour Duncan (pearly gates), Gibson various t's and r's and one dirty fingers, stock fender single coils (MIM and USA), a set of Lace sensors, a Dimarzio SD, etc. etc., I also have several sets of both GFS (vintage 59's, Alnico Tele Bridge Vintage Voiced, Alnico Boutique Overwound Strat, Alnico Fat Pat Boutique Humbucker, and others) and DragonFire (vintage buckers, power rails, and screamers) pickups.

I have not been disappointed in ANY of them. I admit to having been not satisfied with a few of my applications for certain ones, but they all seem to find a happy home in the right position of the right instrument eventually (or soon).

Just my authentic $.02 USD

1 person likes this.
  5. kasu

kasu Senior Member

Great thread. Very informative. Nice to read the comments from Dragonfire. Ive also used both Dragonfires, Artecs and GFS, alongside with Gibson PUPs, duncan and so on. I find all the three "budget alternatives" above extremely well made with high quality parts. I for one, have stopped using more expensive PUPs. With these options I can afford to switch and experiment freely with different PUP sounds. I especially appreciate the dragonfire humbuckers. Ive been using a set of these lately:
    Dragonfire Guitars
    Sorry to wander off but other underrated PUPs in my opinion are the Epiphone -57 alnico classics, not as well made as for example the dragonfire but I do like the sound...but its all in the ear (and mind) of the behearer :dude:

Party on :)

My dragonfires:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. AJ6strinsgsting

AJ6strinsgsting Member

I just installed a Dragon Fire Gold covered Vintage Gold Bucker at the bridge (16.9k ohms) and put my old bridge pick up in the neck ( 13,6k ohms). MyEpi Les Paul Custom is has never sounded better.... now my 1974 Gibby Les Paul Custom is jealous :wow:

7. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

The capt speaketh!!!!:dude:

REMEMBER EDWARD VAN HALEN RECORDED MOST OF THE FIRST RECORD WITH A CHEAP MIGHTY MITE SCREAMER MM1300 AND WE KNOW THE OUTCOME OF THAT!:wave::thumb::slash:

8. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

While you are definitely entitled to your own opinion can i ask why you would want to rain on this guy's parade?
    HE is HAPPY! why ruin it for him?,all he did was share his findings not say these are IT and there is no better... matter of fact for that price i will check one out myself...:slash:

2 people like this.
  9. ijustwntit

ijustwntit Member

He made that post nearly 2 years ago...

I think he learned his lesson

10. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I got to start looking at the post dates:doh: I forget that just because the thread finds its way back to the top does not mean it is a newer thread:D
    anyway to make this count,i ordered a set of the screamers for $38 shipped
    http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=124_129&products_id=382
    i will find out myself if i like them or not:slash:

11. ijustwntit

ijustwntit Member

Cool! Be sure to post your results!

12. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

I am just experimenting right now, I really just want to load my guitars all with MHD's anyway.:D

13. unspun

unspun Junior Member

Had to get in on this thread. I had got a set for a cheap tele build I did for my son and pick-ups did ok for what I was after. Then I got an SG kit from them - guitarpartsonle - aka TNT guitars and had a really bad experience. Neck was 'dog-legged' sideways bad. I sent email and mailed back body and neck. The replacement they send dog-legged in the oposite direction. Really bad quality. I tried to work it out with them. They said they do not take returns or do refunds. I want to be clear that had done nothing with the kit but open it to check out the parts. Again - I tried to work with them and was willing to exchange for a cheaper kit and take the loss. (The SG kit from them was $249.95 and I was willing to exchange staight across for a kit that they sell for $109.95. They were not willing to do anything for me. He was kinda rude on the phone to me too, even though I was being very even toned and factual in our conversation. He also told me he put the first one BACK ON THE SHELF TO BE RESOLD. Although I did not have a problem with the first purchase of pick-ups, I won't be purchasing from them again now that I found out if you have a problem they do not stand behind what they sell. BEWARE of this company/seller.

14. funkybunch

funkybunch Senior Member

Just found this thread. Let me chime in as well. I have purchased a few of kens "inexpensive" pickups. two sets of screamers, a set of power rails, and a set of actives. I also own one set of seymour duncans. (that would be the boutique pickups) I like the dragonfires better in all cases except the actives. However the active pickups are a whole other animal and since I really dont have a set of emg 80's to compare to I will have to just assume that I am just not partial to active pickups. Now I admit I am not anywhere near as all knowing as some on here when it comes to tone and such but the pickups I have sound very good to me and also customer service at tnt custom guitars is very good. disclaimer I am not a spammer either just telling my experience with these pickups. I like em who cares what some pickup snob thinks.

1 person likes this.
  15. drudinpc

drudinpc Junior Member

I literally joined this site just to say **** OFF to Ltkojak. I don't care if I get banned, I don't care if I never post here again. I was looking around to see what people thought of Dragonfire pickups before purchasing some, and I see this high and mighty prick. He gets proven wrong time and again, and has to say "I might try some. Not all of the guitars I service are high end." Aw **** you, you pompous prick.

Major props to everyone else in this thread (yes I know it's 3 years old) for being so cordial in the presence of such an insecure jackass that's more worried about the brand on the front of his shirt than enjoying life. So, since nobody else would say it (though I'm sure many thought it), **** YOU kojack, you flaming jackass. Way to derail a thread in which real discussion might have actually taken place had you not had to inject you "32 years of professional opinion". Eat a dick, you turd.

2 people like this.
  16. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Wow! Total rant! This is an entertaining thread every year it pops up. I've thought about trying some but have never gotten around to it. I do have a set of GFS 59s and they're decent sounding pickups (especially the bridge pup). No harm in trying lower $$ pickups; they can be surprisingly good!

1 person likes this.
  17. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Please enlighten us on your gear ?,style ? & how long you have been playing ?...Just trying to "read you ears" sort to speak !
    .....[​IMG]

18. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Sometimes it's hard to realize for me that what I write may somehow touch and influence the lives of so many different people all over the world. I'm almost emotional right now. ;)

5 people like this.
  19. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Senior Member

It seems you're pretty good at insulting people or spitting judgements.

Well, typical Italian behaviour indeed. :(

20. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I find it highly ironic that YOU, of all people, has chosen to go down this path.

Your Honor, I rest my case.