Dragon Fire Pickups.. I am stunned..

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by blakem, Sep 20, 2010.

1. blakem

blakem Senior Member

Ed hunter likes this.
  2. rick13

rick13 Senior Member

Who winds the Dragonfires?
    Rick

3. blakem

blakem Senior Member

no clue....

4. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

I hear they are wound on old sewing machines... :D

[​IMG]

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

They're made with the cheapest possible parts.

I wouldn't even touch'em with a 12 foot pole! :naughty:

6. blakem

blakem Senior Member

How do you know? Just curious, and if they sound as good as they do, I really dont care.:)

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

You can see it from the photos. Cheap ceramic magnet glued to the bottom, cheap brass baseplate... what else do you need?

Anyway, what's "good" for you, may NOT be "good" for others...

HTH,

8. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

And what's not good enough gor you, can be good enough for others. Is there a point you're trying to make on Blakem's thread...?

9. blakem

blakem Senior Member

Wow you sound like an overly critical person with a lame attitude... I am glad you have your opinion... not everyone can afford $150 to $200 pickups.. these sound great and cost little...... isn't that a good thing? Geeeeeez...

Who and noNameUsername like this.
  10. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Not agreeing with you on how "great" those p'ups are makes me lame?

Hearing the demo you did and not liking the outcome makes me lame?

Alright, then. Those are NOT great sounding. You demo was NOT good sounding. $ 39,00 plus shipment thrown out the window. You're not able to hear the difference from barely acceptable to great.

signed: Lt. Kojak aka The lame one.

Happy now...? :naughty:

NYC LP player likes this.
  11. blakem

blakem Senior Member

Very, I didnt say you were lame by not likeing them, it was the way you came across... I didnt say eveyone had to like them, but they are good and sound good. I should know, I've been playing guitar for 25+ years and have played tons of great ones, I know when something sounds good. These Do. You can honestly say they sound bad in that clean Demo??? I dont think its me who is having trouble hearing.

noNameUsername likes this.
  12. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

So you say...

So you say...

BTW, the automatic level of the recording camera doubles the reverb you're using so the sound is completely washed-out by it... but you knew that, right?

Anyway, I didn't say it was BAD. I just don't think they're so GREAT as you want'em to appair. And the demo you made just confirmed that. At least to me.

The way you opened TWO threads raving and pushin' people to buy'em looked like you were spamming.

If you honestly think those are great sounding, I do agree with you that we both definately don't hear things in the same way. What can I say? More power to you!

And last but not least: you can be an excellent player and being tone deaf at the same time. One thing doesn't automatically excludes the other. Not that I'm saying you actually are, mind you.

De gustibus non disputandum est Look it up. It's latin, just in case you didn't know.

Have fun with your Dragonfire p'ups, man. Really!

In my case, I'll just bring my own guitar if it ever happens we both shall meet to jam in the same stage.

HTH,

13. blakem

blakem Senior Member

I agree, these probably dont come close to a boutique pickup that costs hundreds more, but I really think they sound fantastic for $39.... anyways no hard feelings, just wanted to post what I think is a great deal... My amp reverb was pretty high..thats true.. oh well.. if we all thought the same it would be a boring world...

14. blakem

blakem Senior Member

De gustibus non disputandum est.... How true! :)

15. blakem

blakem Senior Member

In another thread I just read your a huge GFS pickup supporter... I find that funny... after giving me so much crap about these...:laugh2::laugh2: I purchased some GFS TV jones models, they were the worst pickups I have ever had.... not sure about their other ones... probably both made at the same factory... funny.

16. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Of course now you're just gunning after me... you couldn't live with the truce I've so kindly and subtletly offered you, couldn't you?

Anyway, just for the record; after thirty-two years of professional guitar playing (I'm in my early fifties) I'm a hobby guitar tech in my town, so when the job calls for cheap but decent parts, for the past three years I've been dealing with Jay at GFS with excellent results.

The only p'up I've raved about is the Mean 90, which is very well made, with good parts made with good alloys, and have that P-90 vibe that most other p'ups don't have, boutique and not. And this comes from the experience of comparing'em in the same guitar with other similar including Gibson P-94s which, BTW, were the most expensive AND worst sounding of the bunch I've tried.

GFS p'ups are made in Korea by the Artec Co. but custom order made after specific formulae specified by Jay.

Dragonfire p'ups are made somewhere in the People's Republic of China, in a huge factory that provides the cheapest possible products to OEMs all over Asia for the entry-level market (sub $ 50.00 guitars).

If you say GFS' TV Jones p'ups are the worst, weighing in your earlier statements I'd say I'll take your word for it! :naughty:

Now just let it go, pal.

NYC LP player likes this.
  17. blakem

blakem Senior Member

Come on, lighten up, just having fun with you... but if you are insinuating that I am tone deaf by your last statement then I'll just sit back and chuckle... because thats the funniest thing I have heard all day...... and those GFS pickups did suck... not saying their other ones are bad,Im sure those mean 90's sound great, but the TV jones ones were horrible for sure... thats awesome you played professionally for years, thats my goal but for now it's a local gig with a killer band... anyway, have a good night... peace.

AJ6strinsgsting likes this.
  18. dragonfireguitars.com

dragonfireguitars.com Junior Member

Lt. Kojak,
    Ken here, Owner of TNT Guitars and Dragonfire Pickups. I am sorry, but I did not know you where on my payroll. Only my employees would have ANY clue where my pickups are made. And I can tell you that they are not made in China by factories that produce sub $50 guitars. When people like yourself speak of things that they do not know, you just sound like an idiot. Really, I am not saying you are an idiot, but statements like that with no backing of proof or knowledge makes you sound like an idiot.

For the record, like GFS, our pickups are made in the same factory in Korea. And of this I do have proof, with the same magnets, same baseplates, same wire, same everything.

The difference between Dragonfire and GFS is the custom winds. Jay does his styles, and we do ours. GFS are great pickups, and the Dragonfires are on the same level. So please respect yourself and others enough to not speak of things you know nothing about. And if you really care, you should actually try our pickups. The ones that blakem used for his video is our CHEAPEST set. blakem has since ordered our Blues Kat prewired Pro Series guard. Wait for that video to see our higher end pickups.

Compare apples to apples here.

Thank you,
    Ken Aguiar
    TNT Custom Guitars
    Home of Dragonfire Pickups
    Guitar Parts, Bass Parts, Custom Guitar Parts and more for your Fender, Jackson, Gibson and otherguitars and basses! - Guitar Parts Online

19. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I'm very glad that the Owner / representative of a pickup brand is in the forum. We have some independent (''boutique'' as some call them) makers in here as well, Frank Flabo from SD, among others...

It's good to see we're getting our facts straight and that we can also get some background info.

Again, I'm very glad.

20. blakem

blakem Senior Member

Cool!!!!! Glad to have you here Ken!

AJ6strinsgsting likes this.