DR Strings

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by FunkmastaL, Sep 12, 2018.

1. FunkmastaL

FunkmastaL Junior Member

Anyone else use DR strings?

I've been using Pure Blues 10's for a while and although I really like the way they play and sound, I've come across some problems with the D string. For some reason I start to get little lines or grooves where the frets make contact with the string. Only happens on the D string. A few times the string started to unwind and chip away at these contact points. This happened just two weeks after changing strings, so it isn't just that they were old. I'm thinking of switching strings but other than the D string, I have no problems with them.

Anyone else run into this problem? I've never had it happen with any other strings unless it was on a guitar I hadn't changed strings for a year+.

2. Johnnyslim

Johnnyslim Senior Member

I was a bonafide Pure Blues player and I loved these strings. I had some issues with the D string unwinding just after putting them on. Worse, on more than one occasion, after restringing and sitting over night some ball ends were popping off. I dropped them like a bad habit. I wanted to try D'Addario but the colored ball ends bugged me and I don't really know why. A local repair guy put on a set of D'Addario 9-42 and I planned to change them as soon as I got home. NOPE...been playing D'Addario 9-42's since then and that was years ago.

moreles likes this.
  3. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

I tried them when I was testing some pure nickel strigs on my LPs... they didn' fit my taste much...
    I ended up choosing gibson VR and never come back..

spitfire likes this.
  4. Airplane

Airplane Senior Member

i‘ve used the pure nickel blues ones for years now. never had any problems...

5. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

I've been using their bass strings for over 2 decades now and I'm sold on the sound and how easy they are under my fingertips.

Has anyone who has had issues ever called them to let them know? I bet they would make it right!

Someone posted a DR love thread a while back and during the course of it I looked them up online and cold called them to tell them of the love they were getting on here.

I asked to speak to their marketing / PR guy and they explained they didn't have one.

They are a small USA based shop that just hand winds their strings every day and were thrilled that they were getting some publicity on a web forum.

Really nice guys.

So if I can reach them out of the blue, I wouldn't think there was any reason why someone who has had issues with their strings can't. :dunno:

It's in here...
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/dr-strings-customer-experience.390188/

PSA: Other DR threads...
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/dr-strings-customer-service.246171/
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/dr-strings-comes-through.274997/
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/dr-pure-blues-strings-i-definitely-recommend-trying-them.209480/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    XpensiveWino likes this.
  6. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Been using DR Pure Blues for ~20 years, never had an issue with one of them. They sound great, hold their tune and last forever. :thumb:

jeff_farkas and XpensiveWino like this.
  7. Johnnyslim

Johnnyslim Senior Member

As a matter of fact I did call to complain. They had a booth at the Philly guitar show and gave my name to the guys who would be at the show and they gave me a box of strings. Good enough but some of the same issues continued to happen. Out of a box of 12 sets only three or four were good sets. They did offer that some manufacturing was done in another country and the quality was suffering a bit. I never looked back.

AbbeSauniere and DarrellV like this.
  8. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yeah, there is always that....... Dam out sourcing! :mad:

That's a shame really, I like to see small companies able to survive and compete, but unfortunately a lot of companies out source to stay competitive, and a lot of time quality suffers. They are not the only folks its happened too..

9. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

I'm a big fan of DR Blues strings but I simply cannot use them any longer due to their inconsistencies. They've caused everything from intonation problems to buzzing, all of which were resolved by a simple string change. The last time I strung up with a pair, I got a god-awful D string buzz. So I reached in my drawer and pulled out an Ernie Ball D string of the same gauge and the problem was immediately eliminated. That was it for me. I'm done with them.

10. FunkmastaL

FunkmastaL Junior Member

With problems like this I often think "Well it's probably just me" for too long and now that I see multiple claims of the same problems with these strings, I think I might make the switch. It sucks because when they work well they feel and sound great.

Does anyone have any recommendations on strings that are similar but don't have the quality control issues?

11. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

I used Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel a few times with varying success. The same applies to pretty much every pure nickel string of every brand. The conclusion? Ernie Ball 2222 Hybrid Slinky. Works every time, 100% of the time. Just like Sex Panther cologne. Only better.

12. FunkmastaL

FunkmastaL Junior Member

:rofl:

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I wear the D string the fastest on every brand I have tried. Gibson Vintage RI and D'Addario last the longest for me. I tried Slinky Pure Nickel and they wore out the fastest of anything I had tried, and I was a devout Slinky Nickel Wound user for years. :hmm:

Now I purchase individual strings from Just Strings. I buy 2 or 3 times as many D strings as E and A strings.

I only change plain strings if they break. The wound strings get changed when I wear through the windings.

14. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I used Pure Blues for quite a few years. Never had issues with them, but I tried some Pyramids and made the switch. Been having problems with Pyramids lately and so have switched to Thomastik Infled Blues Sliders. Really expensive, but so far the best pure nickel, round wound strings I’ve used by a mile.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    mdubya likes this.
  15. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yep had a problem with the D sting twice in 10 years. The winding broke
    on each one.

I believe it is recommended to not stretch the DR Nickel Pure Blues in the usual manner.
    They have explicit instructions on stretching their strings on the inside of package.

That seemed to take care of the problem. Also others have said their customer
    service was pretty darn good.

XpensiveWino and DarrellV like this.
  16. FunkmastaL

FunkmastaL Junior Member

Thomastiks are amazing. I've used them on bass before and have always liked them.

I've heard about that too and honestly never thought to open up the packaging. I usually don't stretch strings either but I'll take a look.

17. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

When I used DRs, I stretched them by doing big bends up and down the neck. Never had any issues stretching them this way.

mgenet likes this.
  18. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Been awhile, so I don't remember exactly why I didn't like the DR pure nickle strings. I have also ended up playing the Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickle strings. I use them on all of my LP's and 335's.

19. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

DR Blues pure nickel all day long. I've never had an issue with them, and find them incredibly dependable at a fair price. I follow their instructions. No issues on my end.

mgenet and DarrellV like this.
  20. midnightowl

midnightowl Junior Member

DR strings don't work for me. I've had bad experiences where I've bought a few packs that were rusted out of the box. String tension on the Pure Blues are pretty good tho. Also had a problem with Gibson Vintage RI that broke after an hour. I've had good success with Ernie Ball Rock n Roll 10s and also Fender 150R (10s). Anyone try Rotosound Pure Nickels? I'd like to try Rotos but super expensive compared to the EB RnR or the 150R.