Down Brownie is gonna be mine!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by bulletproof, Mar 21, 2017.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Just put my deposit down for this beautiful amp!!! I have a early May time frame for delivery.
    Its the damndest thing,Ive been hankering for a 6G3 and was stunned by the prices for a good one and dismayed by the prices for one beat to hell and back. And then,there it was. Right there in the Sponsor Classifieds!! Exactly what Ive been looking for.:thumb:

Ron,the owner of Cut Throat Audio is one helluva good guy. Very passionate about what hes doing and building. Great guy to talk to.

At any rate,will be visiting this OP as the amp develops. I cant wait to get my hands on this baby!!!

http://cutthroataudio.com/product/down-brownie/

2. Ampig

Ampig Member

I want!! I just listened to Down Brownie on Spotify to refresh my memory on how killer that tone is. I want that tone!

3. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Senior Member

Such a killer circuit.

Cheers!

4. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Very cool - it's interesting to listen to a Fender that doesn't really do cleans. I like the tones I heard in the clips, and I'll be looking forward to your review.

5. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Congrats. It looks like an awesome little amp. :thumb:

6. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Congrats!!

:applause:

7. bulletproof

Thanks Y'all !!! Very excited and now the damn anticipation has set in:Ohno:

Such is the life of a amp whore:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

DAMN, Brother, I'm not sure that I have ever heerd of one of these. Seems like a SUGHWEEET amp fo' sure. Can't wait for you to get it and give us your impression.

9. RangerJay

RangerJay Glam Bastard Premium Member

You bastard!

Good call.

10. bulletproof

:thumb:

11. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

I haven't heard of this one either. Clips sound amazing and the amp looks fantastic. Win win!

Good luck. I look forward to the updates.

12. Ron W

Ron W Cable Guy MLP Vendor MLP Sponsor

Don't mean to hijack your thread John, but thought this clip might be of interest to some of the MLP'ers here:

Down Brownie

It's a long one, but some good tones in there. Done recently by a fellow who has one.

13. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I like the way turning off the NFB restores the treble and aggression to the sound. Both settings sound very usable.

My old Super Reverb has the ground-lift switch, long since disconnected, but the switch itself is still there in the chassis. I re-purposed it by sending the NFB there, so now my Super Reverb has switchable NFB. It makes a massive difference to that blackface amp. Heaps more treble and distortion at any given setting. Makes it sound f**king rude! :D

I hear that effect in the demo clip. :thumb:

14. bulletproof

That aint no hijack,brother!!! This here is what Im talking about!! :applause: :applause:

DarrellV likes this.
  15. bridger

bridger Senior Member

I received a Down Brownie today from Ron. After 4 non stop hours of playing it I gotta tell you, the posted sound clips do not do this amp justice. The versatility is amazing & the tones out of this amp are unreal.
    Someone on another forum said this amp has zero headroom. However, I play a Tele with single coils & a '56 Les Paul with P-90's and there are tons of "touch sensitive" cleans to be had .
    So far, I'm pleased as punch and my amp GAS is over.
    I can;'t wait to gig with it.

16. bulletproof

Outstanding!! Happy New Amp Day,brother!! :applause:
    Heyyy,where the pics?? :photos:

Any chance of you doing some clips/vids??

17. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Congrats on your upcoming NAD. Can't wait to see pix of your new rig and hear some clips soon.

I'd be interested to compare a 6D3 like this to my 5E3. I have the same Weber spec'd in the DB amp on his website, so it would be a good A/B comparison.

18. Surf

Surf Member

So I mostly hang out in the Historics forum on this site so I didn't see this post until now. I go by Gallery on TGP and I think Ron already linked to my posts, but thought I'd chime in personally.

I have Down Brownie #7 and I couldn't be happier with the amp itself and Ron's customer service. Anyone on the fence should not hesitate. If the 6G3 sound appeals to you, the Down Brownie nails it, but takes the mini Marshall moniker to a whole new level.

The day after I got my DB I recorded 20 minutes of noodling with all of the knobs, switches, push pull pots and my guitar controls. This is the result:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/gallery-4/down-brownie-noodling-with-the-functions[/SC]

Here's a demonstration of the Negative Feedback Switch that lets you change how the amp breaks up.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/gallery-4/cinnamon-bownie[/SC]

And if you are a home player, the master volume on this amp does an incredible job of dropping the volume down to levels that wont disturb the kids sleeping at night.

Normal practice volume that is comfortable
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/gallery-4/low-volume-db[/SC]

Baby sleeping volume
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/gallery-4/whisper-volume-db[/SC]

The craftsmanship is impeccable and I couldn't happier with the tone of the amp. I've done the Tweed Deluxe thing, the Blackface Deluxe thing, but now I know that the Brownface Deluxe is what I always wanted.

I've been meaning write up a full review, but just haven't had the time yet.

Until then here is some eye candy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bridger

bridger Senior Member

Just gigged with the Brownie. Stole the show! Every guitar player in the audience came up to me between sets & wanted to know about the amp. I think Ron is going to have his hands full completing orders because I wound up giving out his info written on napkins & & beer coasters to quite a few.
    I had the channels jumpered , Brown & "British" channel on 6 with the master up about 3/4ths & rode the guitar volume for everything from clean to mean. No pedals except for a tuner & a delay. Very pleased.

20. bulletproof

:applause: :applause: :applause: