Double NGD!! Storytime

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Zarg, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Hi Guys!

I always think its awesome when you have a story to go along with your guitar. I put up my Charvel Pro Mod on local classifieds because even if it's a great guitar, I just wasn't feeling it. Sound was good, feel was good but it wasn't special (hint, never buy online, always play it first!)
    It wasn't a "sell it as fast as possible" thing, rather me being firm on a fair price.

Since the price was a bit high, but the guitar in mint condition I waited a while until I got a message last saturday. A guy from a town half an hour away suggested a trade. I didn't have anything to do so I just went to his place to at least try them out, what could go wrong? A little jam couldn't hurt.

I pull up to his house and see him.... big dude, mean looking, with tatoos all over, even "ACAB" on his body. He was holding the leash to his english bulldog ... it was pretty scary at first! Turns out he's about the nicest guy ever though.

He offered me a '13 limited edition Fender HSS strat and an Ibanez RGA32. As soon as I played the first riffs on the Fender, I felt a connection.... it's a special guitar to me already. It feels very right and since its a pretty rare guitar with a completely unique paint job to each guitar it feels special to own one. (dont know why, but "collector" items are something cool and special to me)
    Plays wonderful, has barely any wear or scratches and with all the original hangtags and documents. I loved it!
    (plus: blue is my favorite color and I wanted a blue guitar for a long time, just not straight up blue, but something interesting with some figured wood or similiar (which this one is, totally bitchin'!!))
    I wasn't too fond of the Ibanez at first, had pretty bad experiences with Ibanez before (sharp fret ends, bad quality overall) but this one plays wonderful and sound pretty good! The bound headstock is very pretty and the fixed bridge is nice. I don't like actives though. Fun fact about it: instead of being powered by a 9V Block as we know it, this one has 2 AA Batteries in the back, funny!

After he played some Pantera riffs on my charvel, he fell in love with it... it was perfect!

After some jamming we shook hands and the trade was made. He even got me a plastic bag to carry the instruments to my car. Such a great guy, I will keep in touch with him!

Future plans:
    Fender gets a new humbucker (possibly DiMarzio Dominion)
    Ibanez gets a "wrap" (like a car basically, since just plain white is boring to me)
    Ibanez might get a set of duncans or similiar (passive, if I find some used ones for cheap)

Overall:
    I'm very happy, I already feel much more emotionally connected to the fender than I did to my charvel (charvel's are badass guitars though, amazing brand!) and I hope it will finally be my main guitar that I keep for years. The Ibanez is a great backup and plays stellar.... a wrap is already ordered and it will look killer!
    Talking about value: the Charvel was about 770€ new (mint condition, MIM). The Fender (also MIM) was (original receipt is there) 550€ when new and the Ibanez (made in indonesia) used to go for around 350€ (both in mint condition.) Doesn't take a genius to see that I theoretically made a trade up, too! (although just getting this amazing Fender is worth so much to me already)

thanks for reading if you made it this far, cheers!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    TravisCZ, truckermde, Stuff and 9 others like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Stories are good, and glad this one had a happy ending!!

Nice guitars, too!

I totally get you about not being bonded to an instrument. I have gotten to the point, as well, where if I just don't dig it - even if it is a "nice" guitar - it moves on to someone who will use and/or enjoy it. The hording days are over!!

Anyway, congrats and enjoy your instruments!

rjwilson37 and Zarg like this.
  3. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I like that strat!

Zarg likes this.
  4. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

Nice strat

5. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

Awesome story. Pretty brave setting your guitars in poison ivy. I'd have rashes all over after playing them!

6. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Boy, for a half a second I had a feeling this story was going all "It puts the lotion on it's skin". Glad it turned out all good. Cool guitars, congrats on the swap.

Zarg and Malikon like this.
  7. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

That strat is sick! I've never seen one like that.

truckermde likes this.