Double Cream PAF's by Monty's

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Burty459, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

This is my 2008 R9 VOS, love everything about this guitar but just had a deep desire to get some double creams in there and to try some new tone, in the past this has only ever been ventured with amps and a random pedal occasionally. I looked online at everything in my budget and decided to go for these PAF's by Matt at Monty's Pickups London. I couldn't find a lot on them but what I could find was very positive. I was so excited to get these and the whole experience of receiving them was great, really stylish and a real sense of these are MY pickups made for ME. I installed them myself and I did my best to replicate the stock wiring positions but felt that I needed to leave a little more length on the conductor wire just in case. I have a beaten up old epiphone that I have used for practise and when my skills improve I'll redo the soldering on the parts I removed. Overall though I am really pleased with the tone and look. I was going to pay someone to do this for me but in the end I just went for it and made sure I was very careful. Any tips or tricks for future soldering would be greatly appreciated. Bit of a long post this one but I know some of you out there love pictures and enjoy seeing the insides of these beauties.
    IMG_7659.JPG IMG_7660.JPG IMG_7661.JPG IMG_7667.JPG
    Got these photos whilst removing the stock pick ups.
    IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7669.JPG IMG_7670.JPG
    Original wiring:
    IMG_7662.JPG
    My wiring:
    IMG_7671.JPG
    The original braided wire cloth seemed to be waxed maybe? I couldn't replicate the smooth tight look of it and my braided wire clipping skills are slightly lacking. I tinned the conductor to ensure a good connection also. The extra length was just in case I made a mistake and had to try again.
    IMG_7673.JPG IMG_7675.JPG IMG_7674.JPG IMG_7672.JPG

2. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

How would you describe the differences in tone going from the stock BB's to the Monty's?

3. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

I always find it hard to quantify exactly what it is that I am hearing in the same way that many members can pick out all the subtle nuances of different pick ups, but to me the immediate difference was the bridge pick up seems to have a lot more snap and clarity, in some ways, and please don't take this as a negative, it has a similarity to an American tele I owned with a maple fretboard. When you dig in it really responds and then finger picking, as always, softens it up with bite if you get your nails in there. The neck is just a lovely thick warm tone that seems to have a little more depth and coupled with the bridge depending on how you roll your knobs there's almost a fuzzy quack to be found in there with everything in between. There are a lot of tones on offer and I haven't had any issues finding one I like yet, my main amp is a blues cube artist and they seem to be playing very well together so far. I actually prefer them to the BB's, but that's not to say I didn't like the stock offerings, I just wanted to try something new in a way I hadn't before. I hope that answers your question and I apologise for my lack of knowledge on the subtleties.

Sct13 and alnico59 like this.
  4. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Congrats :) Double-creams look great in that R9. I'm a big fan of Monty's PAFs. I hope you'll be very happy with them for years to come :)

Burty459 likes this.
  5. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

Thanks stuff! It certainly brightens the guitar up, no more black holes in the body :)
    I am also now a massive fan of Montys pickups and I don't envisage changing them in any kind of a hurry. Maybe a new guitar one day will have the chance to try a different offering.

Stuff likes this.
  6. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I love the wax seals....!!!

Hey do a video if you can....

Burty459 likes this.
  7. Lefty Adams

Lefty Adams Senior Member

Massive fan of Monty's packaging already, hope the pickups sound just like you wanted them to, nice one!!

Burty459 likes this.
  8. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

If I can do a video I shall, I'll go through a couple of different amps but I don't have any mic so it will be in the room sound sound only I'm afraid

They do sound great, really happy with them!

Stuff likes this.
  9. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

that's a hell of a sales presentation package with the paper wrap, seals, box and all. If they sound at least half as nice as this, they are perfect.

I wonder if DiMarzio doesn't sue european manufacturers for infringing his "patent" on double whites

Burty459 likes this.
  10. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

I don't think they do sue, I have read some threads on here, that if I remember rightly, said he has a trademark as opposed to a patent on them and that it doesn't pass out of the US.

The whole package was awesome, just a nice touch to some awesome pickups!

11. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

That packaging certainly says a lot about their target market.

RAG7890 likes this.
  12. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

How do you mean? I just thought it was pretty cool. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive pickups so it was a nice surprise to receive such a well thought out package.

13. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

They are guitar pickups. Not diamond rings from Tiffany. I just need a box that protects them during shipping.

14. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

Well... I think it is very cool!

IMHO... someone who puts that much thought and care into the presentation will put as much if not more into the pickups themselves. Congrats on a very cool New Pickup Day!

Burty459 likes this.
  15. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

Hahahaha this is very true, but I don't wear diamond rings so I suppose I need to get my Tiffany fix from somewhere, who is Tiffany?

16. Burty459

Burty459 Junior Member

Me too, I thought it was just a great touch. I agree that it's about attention to detail, and they are great pickups so it obviously transcends the packaging to his work bench.

17. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

That packaging is as cool as it gets. Looks like Dracula boxed them up.