Don't realise which inversion arpeggios I play when I play them

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by To Need a Woman, Feb 4, 2017.

1. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

A nice example of a descending 2nd inversion minor chord, sung with the opening lyrics (first three words). This type of inversion seems rare to come by arpeggiated - I actually mistook it for a descending Eb root inverion.

2. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

[​IMG]

check this out - it does sound like an inversion (type of sound) to me, but also I can hear it as Eb too - and it is written as Eb (and in the key of Eb above) - don't know how accurate this is.

3. To Need a Woman

Thanks

It's played over an Emaj7 as I suspected, but those notes are common to many chords and can be thought of either way. Played without backing music, it'd be viewed as a 2nd minor chord.

At least what you posted is in the right key! I looked up a few versions of 'Misty' and they all were in the key of G! Perhaps the link I posted isn't the main version of the song.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    HogmanA likes this.
  4. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I shut off when I play and just let my creative brain drive the car. I like to say I'm not sure what chord I may be playing, but I know what it tastes like...:rofl:

TheWGuitar, DarrellV and HogmanA like this.
  5. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

I've only just had a chance to sit down with my guitar (easier for me to check it, harder just in mind I need to practice more!) - I agree that the notes on their own definitely sound like 2nd inversion minor chord ie, Gm, but context makes it an EbM7 3rd inversion.

edit* so no - you're not having that one - the prize for first minor chord inversion is still up for grabs!

6. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Do you know how hard that is?! [shut up brain and let me play!!] - I like that about flavours - I see it as colours myself - I like to think of it as blending colours.

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

I do something similar in that I fish for what sounds good till I find it, Then I look it up to see what the heck I'm playing!

8. TheWGuitar

TheWGuitar Senior Member

I learned the first position of the pentatonic by pictures, youtube videos, etc. Til I got comfy with it. After the point where I could hum the pentatonic scale in my head, I started playing around and finding the other positions on the board. That probably wasn't the best way to do it, but I guess it worked!

If you asked me to play the Ionian of whatever root note, I could "Do Re Mi" that one out for you, but you're out of luck if you want a solo. I have no idea how to solo out of that shape :laugh2: Instead, I mix some of those notes into what is otherwise a mainly pentatonic-lick or solo.

9. To Need a Woman

A lovely sounding 1st inv Cmaj at 1:31 -

10. To Need a Woman

And there it is at 1:43 - a Dm, following by the same with Am

11. To Need a Woman

First notes played in this - an arpegiated Dm frist inversion