Don't Millennial Me Bro!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Pal, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Deep, man. Deep.

2. Pal

Pal Senior Member

Don't worry I'll start a Go Fund Me to pay for it.

Carry on.

3. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

:laugh2:

Pal likes this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

That was kinda the point of the post.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

We should be so lucky ...

defcrew likes this.
  6. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Is it too perfect to ask if you take PayPal Gift?

Howard2k likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Who raised Gen Xers? Who went from VW vans to BMW 325s?

Forgive my skepticism, but I think I've heard this before. Didn't care for it then, don't care for it now:

Ironic, considering that he was trying to grab the "sound" that young'uns liked, and failed in such a stiff manner.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  8. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It’s a Mark Twain quote. If you leave out the last three words, it loses its poeticness.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  9. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I don’t know, man. I think hitting #1 on the Billboard is hardly failing. It was also one of only three #1 singles he ever had.
    http://www.billboard.com/music/Billy-Joel/chart-history/hot-100

That song came out when I was 11 and I loved it. I bought his whole catalog on cassette (via good old Columbia House) with my paper route money. I would credit those albums for my interest in constructing songs in the pop music structure. I started taking piano lessons and writing songs. At 11 and 12yo, rock music from classic rock to alternative was still years away and we all start somewhere.

Now that I’m older, I can see why many so many see much of Storm Front corny. It certainly is pale when compared to his albums with Phil Ramone like The Stranger, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, and The Nylon Curtain. But I would still maintain Leningrad and And So It Goes are as good as anything he wrote.

Tim Fezziwig and Malikon like this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

I think the failure happened when he chased the cutting edge. No doubt he sold a shit-ton of that record. I'm no connoisseur of Joel, so I'll take your word on the artistic value of his various albums.

I only know him by songs, and he does indeed have some great songs -- "Just the Way You Are", "Piano Man"-- now that's good music. But dropping that songwriter vibe to chase the MIDI rabbit didn't serve him well. He was, for my money, always better in front of a grand or electric piano than a DX-7. Maybe he was saddled with shitty producers, I dunno.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  11. JimmyT

JimmyT Senior Member

As a British Millennial, I'm not the biggest fan of Boomers.

When the Boomers entered the workforce, we were the second biggest producer of cars in the world, we had dozens of Automotive companies, we set the standard for sports carts and luxury cars, we exported nearly 80% of the cars we made. When the Boomers left the workforce, we were the twelfth biggest producer of cars in the world, all of our large Automotive were bankrupt or foreign owned, most of out cars are imported.

When the Boomers entered the workforce, we were a global leader in aviation with 70 aircraft manufacturers. When the Boomers left the workforce, our aviation industry was almost entirely foreign owned, the only domestically owned aircraft manufacturer remaining being BAe, and they don't technically make planes anymore.

When the boomers entered the workforce, we had a cheap, reliable, nationally owned rail network. When the Boomers left the workforce, our rail network had been reduced by 30%, had been privatised, was one of the most expensive rail services to use in the world and was one of the least well maintained and reliable.

When the Boomers entered the workforce, the average house (£3,400) was four times the average wage (£840), when they left the workforce, the average house (£145,000) was 10 times the average wage (£14,400), though now it's closer to 15 times the average wage.

That's okay though. As you can see, they've definitely earned the right to sneer at us and our iPhones.

I was going to mention the Steel, Coal, Oil and Power industries that have gone from shining beacons to foreign owned jokes, the job market that now requires a PHD in Physics to get a job at Burger King, the loss of free education, the lack of investment in the NHS, and the cost of food and fuel and that fact that wages have barely moved in about 13 years, but for some reason, I come over all depressed whilst writing this...

12. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

13. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

that's an interesting way to phrase it. Succinct.

Sometimes I feel like the older generation handed us a pile of broken sh*t and then sneered and laughed at us when we couldn't make it work.

Too many of us are just trying to survive. And too many of us had awful, rotten childhood/foundations to start with while so many of them had what's been considered by many to arguably be the best childhood/foundation.

Nothing easy comes to any of us. It's hard to understand what they went through. It's hard for us to understand what the younger generation is going through.

...life is hard, for many.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  14. Marshall & Moonshine

The best thing about millenials is that in 20 yrs, someone will walk into a room full of people and ask if there’s a Tristan and almost every guy in the room will raise his hand. Then they’ll ask if McKenzie is here, and every girl will raise her hand, as well as any guy who didn’t raise his hand the first time.

15. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Billy Joel is one of my faves, The Stranger was one of the first lps I ever bought. Changing my diapers? No, I will skydive and "forget" to pull the cord before that happens. I'm always civil to Everybody, why be rude? Some hipster is = some KING. All people are silly.

16. Marshall & Moonshine

If he made a record after “we didn’t start the fire”, I don’t know about it and don’t care to, but his old hits are fantastic car music. My wife and I sing and laugh along with his greatest hits.
    Ack ack ack ack ack ack ack ack!!!

17. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Cool story bro.

18. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

It's funny because my post-millennial teen daughters consider it the height of rudeness to not reply to a text.

So do their friends. This results in every text message spawning an everlasting exchange.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

NSFW

20. Marshall & Moonshine

Hahaha!! I gotta show this to my friend Todd.