Don't Millennial Me Bro!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Pal, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Pal

Pal Senior Member

I am 48. I have tons of friends and I don't age discriminate. I have friends my age, half my age and even nearly double my age. We all know Millennials, even some of you reading this fall into this classification.

When I ask someone who is 30 to 35 and older, "Hey are you coming to band practice tonight? Are you meeting us out (at wherever we happen to be going)? I have an extra ticket for the concert/ball game want to come with? I'll be near your place of work or home today, want to meet for lunch?"
    when I do this through social media or by text I generally get a yes or no answer pretty quickly or if they missed it, were busy they will get back to me later with a, "sorry for the late response."

When I ask a Millennial the same question they will either say yes or break off all contact like I never asked the question.

It is sort of funny that the "new no" is just completely ignoring the question. I guess they are so sensitive that they can't take the guilt of telling someone no.

Who, Mr. Pickles, Sct13 and 4 others like this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

It's not just Millennials, it's rude people.

though I get ya,..it might be more prevalent in younger people. But I know older people who are pretty rude too.

Sct13, Matt_21 and Harmony like this.
  3. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

That's AGEIST! or whatever.

Who and TheWGuitar like this.
  4. Malikon

do you even bigot, bro?

:laugh2:

5. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

maybe they don't care enough to respond? or are genuinely busy and got distracted and didn't get around to answering. i'm not a millennial and don't feel the need to immediately respond to everything that comes my way, rude or not. sometimes people are just busy and forget to respond.

6. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Maybe it's not them.

El Pablo likes this.
  7. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

30 to 35 is a millennial :hmm:

*according to most sources

truckermde likes this.
  8. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

That made me laugh!

Scooter2112 likes this.
  9. Malikon

10. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

That kind of thing absolutely drives me nuts. No response is not a response. It isn't millenials. I have a fam member who is nearly 60 and has operated that way for a lifetime. "Hey, this is your mother. Please give me a call." Crickets. The funniest thing is hearing him deride someone else for doing him the exact same way.

Roberteaux likes this.
  11. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I'd rather get no response than the people who immediately call you when you text or IM them... I texted, because I don't want to talk. Don't think it's an age thing though. I'm 35, and a friend who is younger will call and want to talk when I text him something random. A coworker who is a little older, will call me when I IM him a simple question.

12. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Years ago, after sending texts and emails to my oldest son and not getting a response, I posted on his Facebook page, "Text me, you little shit." I got an immediate response, but he's not on FB anymore.

If he doesn't answer right away now, I let it go. He has a job he loves, a girlfriend, a dog and sometimes he remembers birthdays etc. and contacts us.

Matt_21, Roberteaux, Harmony and 6 others like this.
  13. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

When my wife and I moved from my hometown to a town about 45 minutes away, my mom joined Facebook explicitly because she was convinced we were never going to speak to her and have kids and not tell her...

14. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

My son is in mid twenties and a chef. He lives a couple hours away.
    I know he doesn't have time to talk on the phone much....but he will answer my texts...
    He knows how it will work out if he doesn't... He knows I'll call all debts due immediately. :cool:

15. danohat

danohat Senior Member

My brother is 44 and he and his wife are driving us crazy with the non answering. Dinners, birthdays, vacation, helping with mom. Anything. It's like pulling teeth to get an answer.

16. Malikon

the flip side is the friend who responds with 25 texts when you send him 1. :laugh2:

for like 5 minutes your phone is jumping around the table. :laugh2:

I've even told him, "Paragraphs dude! Not three words, send, three words, send, three words, send!"

...that lasts like a day, then he goes back to sending 20 sentences instead of 2 paragraphs.

...seriously it kills your battery (mine anyway) when my phone is constantly getting bombarded with texts.

He's one of my best friends though for like 15 years so, so ..eh whatchagondo?

Matt_21, Roberteaux, Harmony and 2 others like this.
  17. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

It's definitely not just millenials. For whatever reason, a lot of people have a hard time saying no. I find that kind of behavior extremely rude, though.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Matt_21 and Scooter2112 like this.
  18. electric head

electric head Don't answer the phone Premium Member

My daughter is in her late 20's and a chef. That's pretty much how we communicate is by text. If my phone rings and I see its her on caller ID I know something is wrong big time.

Roberteaux, ehb and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  19. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

Pal likes this.
  20. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

You know for a fact they saw the message because they don’t ever put their phone down except to go to sleep.
    The funny thing is, I enjoy saying “no” to invites. I do it politely, but it always feels good to get out of stuff, unless it’s something I genuinely want to do.
    But if you invite me to something YOU really like and I might enjoy it as much or more on TV, I’m staying home if I can manage.
    Now, if Govt Mule and Blackberry Smoke tour again, hit me up if you’re holding extra!
    :)

Matt_21, Harmony, Caleb and 3 others like this.