Don Felder 1959 Les Paul

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by lassie, Dec 31, 2017.

1. lassie

lassie Member

Hey folks, anybody here who owns one or played one? How’s the neck shape? Should I care about the difference in specs to newer historics? What would you pay for one?

Long story short:
    I’ve ordered a CC 39 for a good price recently, which will be here in one week or so, but now 2 Felder’s came up on EBay in Europe. When I started getting into historics those Felder’s fascinated me. Love the burst and the grain of the tops, and of course, both the Hotel California song and album are amazing, so there’s some special aura surrounding these.
    When the CC39 doesn’t suit me in all regards I will definitely ship it back to the seller and maybe I would get one of these instead.

hidebai likes this.
  2. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

What does “Special aura” mean?

3. lassie

lassie Member

Something special sorrounding them. That kind of feeling of song connected to that guitar. Sounds ridiculous :fingersx:

4. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I think he means it is a personal thing to him.

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Seems like you have already discredited the CC39, so why buy it in the first place and waste the seller's time/money?

Felders did not do well because most people do not want a Nashville bridge on their historic.

6. lassie

lassie Member

The CC39 is still the one I want, because it ticks all the boxes for me, but as I already stated I feel somehow connected to the Felder.
    Haven’t seen that they come with a Nashville bridge, so thanks for the information.

7. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

I had a repurposed Felder (they repurposed unsold Felders into stinger R8s). It was a nice guitar with a nice top. The neck was skinnier than the R8s I had owned. I didn’t mind as I adjust to any neck size. I think I paid somewhere a little over 2k? 5 or 6 years ago ( I don’t remember exactly either the date or price). It was a good sounding guitar that I just couldn’t get to sound the way I wanted through my Marshall clones so I sold it. If I recall correctly the neck pickup was hotter than the bridge pickup as well.

I didn’t like the Nashville bridge on it either. I switched it to an ABR that fit the Nashville posts from Fabar.

lassie likes this.
  8. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

I had one of these too and agree about the neck being slightly on the thin side. I thought it was really great. Started at moderate thickness at the lower frets, but didn't increase all that much when you got to the upper frets.

They should have already been fitted by the Custom Shop with a reamed ABR-1 to fit the Nashville posts.

9. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

You’re right about the reamed ABR, it’s been awhile since I had it so I forgot about that. Another reason I would have put a Fabar on it is because I like the locking mechanism of the Fabar. I put them on all my LP’s and my es-335.