Dog cruelty

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by kiko, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Like I said, No need to have posted that because I fully understand everyones feelings on the subject. That is exactly what I meant. You are correct the roosters would kill one another regardless of man being involved or not. I know they are bred intentionally to not quit but beyond that it is 100% natural. The bulldogs are Game.. that cannot be trained or beaten or abused into an animal. they are born with it..... IF the fighting was forced ( either dogs or roosters) I would agree with everything you said. I know that the rules of both are set up to see which animal will not quit. That requires the animal being given every opportunity TO quit at any time. Again never seen a dog fight.. probably would not be my cup of tea. I do not see cruelty in the fight itself. I know in the roosters what I considered to be cruel was not having a rooster perfectly healthy and expecting it to fight for its life. Half doing their care all year because you are too lazy to feed and water regularly and then pitting him against an opponent that HAS had excellent care its entire life..... ONCE again I am not attempting to convert anyone to think as I do... just having a discussion.......BTW if all I knew about the dogs and the roosters was what I saw on TV. I would feel the same way all of you guys do also.

2. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

nothing sickens me as much as animal cruelty.

Fiat Lux and Olds442 like this.
  3. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

"No need to get into that"?
    "No need to have posted that"?

So you came into a thread about dog cruelty to numerous times say you support dog fighting - which I just reread the thread, never came up, you brought it up - admitting you have never seen it and it's not your cup of tea, but that it should legal, and to not get into it and not trying to convert anyone. Great contribution. Maybe instead, YOU should not get into that or posted that. Jesus.

4. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

same here.

5. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Yeah, I’m out.

Olds442 and Death Incarnate like this.
  6. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

What scenario are you envisioning where a dog is allowed to quit a dog fight? A paw taps out and a little chihuahua wearing the ref stripes stops the fight?

pnuggett likes this.
  7. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Not a scenario..its the rules. If during the fight a dog turns his head away, the fight is stopped and the dogs seperated. They are put at opposite corners of the pit and at the refs command the dog that turned is released. If he is pushed or shoved it is a foul and he loses. He is released and he must willingly cross the pit and engage the other dog. If he doesnt he loses. If he turns andnleaves the pit he loses.

8. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

You know a lot of specific details for a guy who's never been to a dog fight

filtersweep likes this.
  9. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I read a lot....fought thousands of roosters and know the rules are very similar.

10. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

There are of course worse things that people do, mass shooting for example, but those are usually crazy people, Animal abuse seems to mostly be from the ignorant and cruel.

While I really hate that someone did this, there really are people who simple don't know any better. They actually think it is okay to do this to an animal, and sometimes even children. That these forms of abuse are acceptable forms of punishment or even training for an animal.

I'm not trying to defend him, just pointing out it may possibly be due to ignorance more then cruelty. Then again, he just may be a mean a-hole.

Hope he gets what he deserves, and I hope he learns this isn't okay and also maybe those around him will learn something too.

The worst of this is that for every one of these that you hear about, there are likely hundreds if not 10's of thousands of this happening you never hear about.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  11. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Thanks for that bit of info. Didn't realize it was such a noble sport. :wow:

filtersweep and PeteK like this.
  12. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

Human cruelty bothers me more, but Animal isn't far behind.

13. Marshall & Moonshine

As children, cruelty seems built in, like its a phase we go through, discover its evils, and hopefully outgrow. As boys, we lock the nerds in the wall locker, give swirlies, beat up the weaker kids. Looking back, we did horrible things to each other. I don’t know if all kids do it, or do it to the same degree, but cruelty for its own sake seems almost natural in children, as part of development. I could be wrong. Maybe we were just asshole kids.
    But as an adult, cruelty for entertainment or any other self-serving emotion is nothing to be admired. I think that if a man can be cruel to an animal, he’s capable of being cruel to his family and others, to whatever degree. It’s in his heart. It’s just a matter of time.

pnuggett, Matt_21 and Malikon like this.
  14. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

I think compassion and empathy is (somewhat) a learned behavior. I have no evidence to back that up other than to agree with what you're saying, I learned compassion and empathy.

When you're a kid it seems you're very selfish and self motivated and you just don't care much about other peoples feelings. But getting hurt, teaches you about pain,..then hopefully you realize you don't want to cause pain in others.

But some people like causing pain,..it's probably somewhat in our wiring. Even if you have compassion and empathy like most well adjusted humans,...you'd still probably want to see a child molester get the sht kicked out of him/her,..so there's still some of that primal animal inside us that likes seeing others in pain if we feel they deserve it.

I've often thought maybe the point of life is learning to outgrow your instincts, to mature and become better than your most base desires.

..but some people just embrace their base desires and (imo) never really grow or mature.

When I was a kid I thought it'd be great to be a kid forever. Now I think it'd be pretty sad to be 30, 40, 50 years old and still think and act like a kid. You might like childish "stuff", some would argue even the guitar is a 'toy',..but don't think and act like a child.

But some do, some never grow up. They're probably the kinds of people that would pour boiling water on a dog because it's making too much noise.

Matt_21 and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  15. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

Where's the rationale in that though?
    Pour boiling water on a dog because it's making too much noise.
    Any idiot with two brain cells to rub together should have enough sense to know that pouring something hot onto a living breathing thing is going to cause it to make more noise.
    And that's just taking it back to the 'bare wood' there.
    Then of course you put on the facts that you're hurting this poor animal tremendously...
    I just don't get it.
    It's a terrible thing.

kiko and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  16. Marshall & Moonshine

If pouring boiling water on a noisy dog is really a thing, I’d think it’s more of a rage issue than cruelty, or perhaps a mixture of the two.
    Water doesn’t boil instantly. So just imagine how long he’s standing there, waiting for the kettle to whistle, getting more and more angry while the dog barks at something that would very naturally make a dog bark. Dogs don’t bark at nothing. Just because we don’t see the reason doesn’t mean there isn’t one. And there are plenty of proven methods of training (and shock collars, all else failing) to get a dog to stop barking.
    It’s shocking that a grown man can think boiling water will teach the intended lesson. Dogs are supposed to be our friends and our partners in our endeavors, not our punching bags or outlets of anger or cruelty.
    That’s likely a mental health issue.

kiko, Matt_21, PeteK and 1 other person like this.
  17. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I can't even read the idiotic comments in news sites. Before anyone is convicted, people shout out for death.

It should be reason enough to keep the accused names out of the media.

I hate animal cruelty- but at least wait until conviction before calling for his execution.

18. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

I think it's time we thin the herd. We don't need all these stupid folk here while we probably pay for them.

Sometimes, I let my son's dog out back and he'll trot out, get into this proud stance, and bark. It's weird. I have no idea what or who he's barking at. He's lucky he's cute.

19. Marshall & Moonshine

Sometimes they’re just barking for you, or because they’re excited about something and don’t know what to do with their energy. We have a few Aussies and the older one goes batshit when the kids are on the swings. He won’t nip them anymore, like he did when he was a new pup, but obviously the draw is still there, so he runs crazy and barks.
    That’s a reason that drives me nucking futs, but it IS a reason, especially to his dumb ass.
    Finding the REASON they bark is how you begin to stop it, if stopping it is your goal.
    Obviously, some dogs are there to alert the owners.
    Anyway, its sad what people will do to dogs because THEY don’t understand the animal.

penguinchit and Matt_21 like this.
  20. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

All GREAT points.