Does Your SG Stay in Tune?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Jack S., Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

I'm considering buying an SG I played at Guitar Center. It seemed to stay in tune well while I was playing it. I'm hesitant to buy because when I used to teach guitar, my students with SGs often had tuning issues. That may be because they weren't putting strings on correctly though. Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance,

-Jack

2. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

My SG guitars stay in tune.

Why an SG shouldn' t stay in tune ? If you have the answer that' s nice.

3. skydog

skydog Senior Member

Trem bridge or hard tail? I've only had hard tails and I wrap one over, the rest under at the posts. I've never had a problem.

4. WayneLawKid

WayneLawKid Member

My 64' SG Standard with maestro vibrola stays in tune like a champ. However, I do not use the vibrola. Not even my strats stay in tune with heavy trem action. I think that's to be expected. Are you thinking stop tail or vibrola?

5. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

All Gibsons have that pesky G string that's difficult to tune right? I usually bend it hard then retune it. Seems to work. I've had to do that on every Gibson I've ever had.

6. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

I figured it was because the neck joint sometimes isn't as stable as on single cutaway guitars. I know SGs are more predisposed to neck joint breaks too. One of the guitar players in my band frequently has tuning issues when he plays his SG. I noticed a crack on the neck joint of his guitar though. I've heard some pros complaining about tuning too. That may be because of the trem tailpeices though. I'd go with a stoptail. That's good to hear you guys aren't having issues.

7. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

I own a number of Les Pauls and Big Bends Nut sauce took care of that issue. You might be hip to that already, but I thought I'd mention that just in case:)

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I've owned three SGs, two Gibbys and a great old Epi. All of them held tune with properly-stretched strings, with the Epi surprisingly being the best for that given the brand's position as budget Gibbys.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

https://youtu.be/BU0hMu2XcWw
    All of my SGs hold tune just fine. On the non min-E-tune models, I stretch the strings to tighten the winds when I change them and have no problems.

10. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Is it a vintage guitar with vintage Kluson tuners. They are all a little temperamental which is why a lot get changed over to Grover's etc.