Does this pickup combo sound like it will work? What about covers?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dragonbat13, Jul 14, 2017.

1. dragonbat13

dragonbat13 Junior Member

Well, I am gonna try it anyway, but here is what I am planning on doing.

I have a gibson T top with the patent number stamped on the base, with the factory cover on it. I pulled the cover and confirmed it was a t bobbin. From what I understand it should have an Alnico 5 magnet and has a resistance of 7.66. I also have an EVH franky type pickup without a cover. It measures 14.29 and supposedly has a degaussed a2 magnet. A bonus is vintage cloth push back wire with a braided shield just like the T top.

So, basically, Neck: A5/7.66 resistance and Bridge: Degaussed A2/14.29 Resistance.

I am gonna be using The Art of Tones "best wiring kit" for Les Paul and 50's wiring to start off. My biggest concern is the bridge pickup being to hot for the neck. Anybody used a combo similar to this?

EDIT: How much would swapping the T tops cover for a raw nickle effect the sound. I dont know what the cover is made of now, only that it is chrome. I simply like the look of the raw nickle better. Havent decided if I am going to leave the EVH uncovered or not.

These are gonna be for my Les Paul in my Sig.

Thanks for any help.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are a lot of things we don't know that makes it hard for us to answer.

The key one is 'what you like to hear', which is the most important thing to know.....and also an impossibility to know.
    Other than that, K doesn't = output, neck slots always make for more signal than bridge ones, you can adjust pickup height to even out signal strength and magnets don't solely determine pickup tone.

The only thing you can do is try it......even if you got the entire rest of the population of the earth saying its a godlike combo, it still doesn't follow that you will like it. And you'd still need to install the pickups to make that determination.
    As to the cover, the coating makes little tonal difference......but its the steps needed to get the plating on that do. The T-top cover I think is ok and has only a small tonal shift.

3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Not all T-Tops from that era have A5s. Some have thin A2s. If the pickup is original, I can probably tell you from a few CLEAR photos of the magnet. Normally, one can't tell an AlNiCo type from a photo but those thin A2s that Gibson used at that time have a very particular look to them which other Gibson magnets do not.

Is this the Duncan EVH pickup? I had an early one of those here which had similar specs to what you describe. It was a very early one, though, signed by both Seymour and Eddie on the baseplate, which had a high brass content. I'm not sure the production models are the same. It was an ok pickup. I think most of its value was in the signatures, rather than the sound. If we're talking about the same pickup, though, I think you'll have a fine pairing in output/frequency that you can use the adjustment screws to balance out to taste. Especially, if you do have an A5 (more treble) in that T-Top, but perhaps in either case, since those poly wire and brittle steel T-Tops have a very spanky and even jangly sound.

Give it a whirl!