Does playing with crusty strings increase fret wear?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Guitarest, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Guitarest

Guitarest Banned

To the point where the three highest strings are black.

2. guitarbob123

guitarbob123 Senior Member

Change them.

7 people like this.
  3. dvir

dvir Senior Member

it's not good for the guitar and it's not good for you, i can't slide when my strings become crusty.

4. bobarino

bobarino Senior Member

well, when they're new, the plain strings feel silky smooth. when they're rusty they feel coarse, kinda like sandpaper. i wouldn't be surprised if they actually scraped the frets more heavily than fresh strings.

2 people like this.
  5. Kirrt

Kirrt Guest

Yes they are, I once play a set of strings for 4 months and find the frets are all rough just like some kids scrape it with sand paper
    Replace your string after 2 months at most, your hand and your guitar will be thankful

6. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Scott_UK

Scott_UK Senior Member

I never let mine get that bad and change them as soon as they start to sound "dull", usually about every three-four weeks or so. Sometimes less, depending on how busy the band is (I'm tarnished with really sweaty hands at gigs). I do clean and lube them after ever gig and "heavy practice" to prelong the string life, which also helps them keep that bright sound. I found when I wasn't looking after my strings, I was breaking them much more often.

I recommend you change them which I'm sure your ears will prefer too :)

8. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

:slap:
    Dirty dirty boy...:eek2:

9. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Well of course it does. :shock: It also increases wear and gunk build-up on your fingerboard and not to mention what it does to your fingers. Do you have green mold behind your frets too?

You can pick up a set of new strings at Best Buy for $3.79.

Give that poor guitar a break and put some new strings on it, and change your underwear while your at it. :cool:

10. Guitarest

Guitarest Banned

In Australia a pack of Ernie ball coated strings are $23

11. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

Tell you what else i noticed when I was there; the beer is mega expensive compared to here in the UK...:wow:

12. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Ouch! :wow: I see your dilemma.

The MSRP for them here is around $17, but I've never bothered with coated strings (or any strings priced that high). What would just a standard set of EBs or GHS Boomers cost there?

Check out this site. I don't know if the shipping charges would work out to a better deal or not, but he has pretty good prices for 10 sets or more.

Shipping Information

13. Kirrt

Kirrt Guest

I don't want to live there
    How about find some local string brand? I'm sure it won't be as expensive

14. Guitarest

Guitarest Banned

Ooo standard Ernie Balls for $3??? Thats good. Are those Cobalt ones worth $10?

15. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

Buy srings by the 10 pack or case to save money.

16. 02589

02589 Senior Member

I can't believe it. I have a list of useless questions that I hope never get asked, but probably will. One of them was "Is it okay to play with rusty strings".

2 people like this.
  17. formula73

formula73 Senior Member

It does. I have an extremely bad pH problem. I was pretty much born to destroy guitar strings, gold plating, and tarnish the hell out of frets. Back before the Elixir Plated Plain sets, I used to go through a set of Daddarios every 3 days. I used to just buy the 25 set bulk packs in the cardboard dispenser because it was faster and cheaper than buying even the 10 set boxes. On the guitars I played the most, it absolutely showed increased fret wear.

It's called verdigris, btw. It's not mold. It's a particular kind of corrosion. Wash hands before playing, wipe down strings, use those snake oil string oils...none of it helped.

18. zontar

zontar Senior Member

Don't be lazy.
    Can't be good for the fretboard either--especially if it's an unfinished board.

How often you change your strings will depend on your skin and body chemistry (Some people exude oils or sweat, etc that kills strings--most of us don't do it to an extreme, but even the driest skin will kill a string eventually) as well as how often you play and how often you clean your hands and strings.

If you wipe your strings after you play that will help as well.

My skin is dry, I have more than one guitar and I'm not gigging, so my strings will last longer, but they get changed well before they get gunked up.

If cost is an issue, don't use coated strings.
    Some people love them, but I wonder how often the extra cost pays for itself with fewer string changes and fewer sets bought.
    That may work out for some, but not all.
    I don't use them, because I don't like the feel of them.

19. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

That's still less than what a fret dressing (or a re-fret) will cost you. Are there other strings that are cheaper there? I'm getting D'Addario 9s for $3.00 a set if I buy them in 10 packs off Amazon. Might be worth investing in a bulk purchase, perhaps going in on it with another guitarist that uses the same string and gauge?

20. River

River Senior Member

It's so nice to have Chromatic back.

3 people like this.