Does my Tokai les paul have some kind of maple cap?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by afro, Aug 24, 2017.

1. afro

afro Junior Member

Hey guys,

This is my first ever post on this forum. I've read many other posts but now I need your help...
    I've recently bought a Tokai ALC55 in wine red finish. It's an awesome guitar that sounds and plays fantastic! If I'm not mistaking this guitar was made in China in 2015.

I bought the guitar second hand at a music store in Holland. Unfortunately there wasn't much information provided when I bought this guitar and since Tokai has one of the most ridiculous model-numbering systems, i can't seem to find the right information... As far as I knew, this guitar had a mahogany body. Until recently, when my eye caught a slight discolouration in the cutaway.

My question: Does this mean that my guitar has some sort of cap on it?

I've already opened the pickup-cavities but the inside of the guitar has been painted with a black coat so I'm not able to see if this guitar has a cap, just by looking inside the cavities.

Please help me out with this one!

Attached Files:

2. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

The lighter line that runs horizontal to the body does appear to be a different wood indicating it has a cap! Nice looker!

3. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Yes. Your guitar is very likely to have a maple cap.

That discolouration in the cutaway is not a discolouration at all. What you're seeing is the maple cap underneath the finish (which is lighter in colour than the mahogany) and its totally normal for Gibson LP's to have this. For the binding to have a uniform thickness all around the guitar's body, some of the maple will be seen under the binding where the cap increases in thickness to meet with the neck.

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Yes,Probably Maple..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. afro

afro Junior Member

funny thing is that this guitar is a Chinese made tokai that didn't cost me more than 400 dollars! I was curious because i thought that cheaper Chinese made les pauls didn't have a cap and that this feature only belonged to les pauls that are to be found in the higher price ranges (Gibson, Japanes Tokai's etc.)

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

The first image in my post is an Epiphone.

7. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Almost all solid body les pauls have a separate cap made from some sort of material so the wiring channel leading to the toggle switch rout can be made. The caps on the cheapies just aren't necessarily made out of maple.

Sure it's feasible for the wiring channel to be cut out without making the top of the guitar a separate piece, by using a really, really long spade drill bit. But it's a lot messier and more difficult to cut the wiring channel out that way. So it isn't commonly done.

8. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

Indeed. I'm reliably informed that the top on my Chinese Tokai LP is flamed sycamore.

SAM_4796.JPG

9. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Yes, on some models, they do use different woods other than the Gibby LP maple/mahogany combo. The top is probably a veneer.

All these should not matter if you like the guitar and it sounds good.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. afro

afro Junior Member

yeah it's a great guitar. I was confused because i read about veneer tops that were frequently used on cheaper guitars. I gues I switched up a veneer top and maple cap. Thanks for the info!