Does hanging a guitar from the neck/headstock do damage?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by LesPaulHDXPro, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LesPaulHDXPro

LesPaulHDXPro Junior Member

Here's something that has puzzled me for quite some time about guitar stores and the way that they hang or display their priceless guitar on a hook wrapped around the neck/headstock of a guitar.

A LP weighs about 8 to 11 pounds, depending on the model, size, # of pickups, tremolo, etc., not to mention the amount of tension from the strings which may counteract the weight, but who knows?

So why do they insist on hanging these guitars from the neck/headstock area and add added stress to this area of the guitar? Isn't there a better way to hang these guitars that doesn't put so much stress on that particular area?

How many guitars have you seen where the neck/headstock area is damaged or the finish has marred due to the anchor around that area? To me, this is a waste. Plus, those hangers are a bit dangerous and one bad move and the guitar can come crashing down and ruin a guitar.

Somebody has got to come up with a better way to display and hang these marvels of beauty. Any ideas or inventors out there?

I just cringe when I see a $6k Les Paul AAAA-top hanging on a display like that! If that were my guitar, I would hold it from the body and never put weight or stress on that part of the guitar. Makes no sense to me.

Comments?

Unadan, circles and ADangerToMyself like this.
  2. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

Well if guitar stores do it with $7000 guitars 20feet off the ground, then I guess I can trust it's ok to do at home. I don't know about finish issues, I myself put a polishing rag on the hook then the guitar so that it doesn't contact the finish. As far as the structural issue, I don't know I guess. I will say that they sort of seem to stay in tune better sitting on a stand, but I don't know if its a "real" correlation. I hear what you're saying though. When you think about it, it probably isn't the best because you are putting tension on the truss rod the more bow you have in the neck. I'm planning on using wall mounts soon that actually hang the guitar sideways so as to not put tension on the neck. I think its pretty safe, but maybe not the best. Long term, who knows but again since all guitar stores do it, it can't be that bad. When you see a $7000 Les Paul or a $3000 Martin acoustic hanging on the wall, You'd thin like I said it can't be that bad.

3. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

Guitars are more durable than people think.

4. red2rider

red2rider Senior Member

I've got ibanezes with very thin wizard necks and the guitars are fully loaded with 3 pickups, floyds and straps hanging on them for more than 6 months, not any issues so far. I love the wall hangers for ease of access, but I don't hang my custom on em. When I go after it, it's coming out of the case. I keep it there just for more safety and security....

RB.

5. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

i only hang my guitars with bolt necks.

6. GibsonGuitars119

GibsonGuitars119 Member

Ive been hanging my guitars for a couple years now, nothing happened yet, but im going to put a polishing rag around the hanger, so it doesnt do anything to the finish, like ArchEtech said.

7. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

This is absolutely true. Ever see a baseball bat warp after being thrown in the closet or garage for winter? Wood is tough. People build houses out of it, I'm sure it can handle holding its own body weight.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. Pushead

Pushead Senior Member

The tension of the strings is so high that the additional stress of holding it's weight isn't noticable.

9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

There is very little stress on the headstock from hanging. Most headstock damage is caused from a blow to the upper backside of the headstock where the serial# is. Also, (something you should never do) if you rest your LP on the floor flat with no support under the body, the weight on the headstock is much, much more likely to cause damage compared to hanging.

10. BobbyK

BobbyK Senior Member

very true.

I only cringe when I see a les paul laying on it's back !

I put a pillow under the neck, to keep the headstock off the ground. or bed.

11. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Would it be fine to put it upside down?(like on a bed) Whenever mines out of the case its in my hands, but I'm wondering now. I've got friend that always rests his guitar on things with the strings touching. Then again, he is the friend with a $500 guitar with no hardshell case.

12. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

one thing i did notice on my classic was two divots on the headstock veneer where it hung in the store. but i dont think thre are any concerns as far as it supporting its own weight!

13. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

for one your lucky their about 9-12 grand over here in australia and i hang all my guitars on wall hangers and i have seen no problems what so ever i would be more worried about having guiatrs on a guitar rack leaning it on one side on the neck its liable to bend the neck sideways under the weight of the guitar over a long period of time at least hanging the guiatr keeps the neck straight.

i'v seen headstocks snapped allong the middel from the stress of the strings allone allong witht he headstock compleatly snapped off from the tension of the strings.

it is allways best to stoore your guitar in its case when your not using it.

but guitar stoors arent going to spend tonnes on guitar racks that just support the body. my gibson dealer has all of their guitars hanging on hooks which lock and wrap around the neck at the headstock but they cost a fair bit and take a bit to get the guiatr off the wall. imagine all the space you would need if they used floor stands that supported the bottom and back of the guitar.

14. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I just yesterday watched the videos about the Stradavarius
    violins and a luthier said the worst thing that musicians do
    was hang thier instruments up by thier neck and heads,
    so maybe the same advise would be good for guitars???

Maybe thats only because a violin is so small though

15. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Yeah, well that STRAD guy is dead, so what the hell does he know.

:wave:

FLH likes this.
  16. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

strad-who-varius?

17. mojofilter

mojofilter Senior Member

:shock:as long as I have been playing i have never seen anything happen to a guitar unless it fell out the hanger /which is not likely

18. mmk8283

mmk8283 Junior Member

Hi there, I was thinking about hanging my guitars and was worried about these same issues. I am a mechanical designer and I think I might design my own style of hanger. any input will be considered, I'm planning on using the lower strap hook and supporting the guitar mainly from the bottom. I will be sure to share what I come up with.

markjmalin and X–Ray like this.
  19. bullpentherapy

bullpentherapy Senior Member

i have had many a problem haging mine i went back to a 7 guitar syand after three day experiment i am tellin you its just better to keep any tension off the joint!

20. LPGeoff

LPGeoff Senior Member

I doubt it hurts them as long as wall hangers have been around.

The Alpine White Les Paul I saw at GC had black stains in the finish from the hanger that wouldn't rub off.