Does ESP Eclipse feel plastic-y?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Andy California, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I checked out an ESP E-II Eclipse in a store, and it just felt plastic-y to me. I can't put a finger on it, but something about the way it felt when holding the guitar and strumming it unplugged felt less natural than what I'm used to. I don't have much experience with guitars, but this is what I expected a lower end guitar, namely, an LTD, to feel like. That feeling combined with the way it looked (matte black finish and EMG pickups) made it seem as if it was made to be plugged into an ultra high gain br00talz amp where guitar personality is deleted from the equation.

I also checked one out in 2014 and I don't remember how it felt back then, but I remember I wasn't exactly impressed with it either.

I owned a couple of ESP M-IIs and they actually felt more natural to me, even though they were black and with EMGs (and I'm not talking about the sound when plugged in).

So I wonder what it is. I wonder what other people who play non-metal-oriented guitars think of the ESP Eclipse in terms of feel.

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Probably the polyurethane finish.

Malikon likes this.
  3. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

Other than Les Pauls (nitro finish) and certain Strats and Teles that are (nitro finished, like Road Worns),..most guitars feel that way because they're coated in polyurethane.

I've never thought they felt like plastic because to me Toys feel like plastic and guitars don't feel like toys,..but they do have a certain waxy feeling I guess, sort of like a freshly polished gym floor that your shoes squeak on. It never really bothered me though because that's just how most guitars feel.

Nitro coats are the anomaly. Poly is the norm.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

Simply yes kind of. I had an E-II for a while, great guitar for the money but you hit the nail on the head. Plastic feeling. Doesn't feel like wood. Finish is perfect and very thick. It's kind of disconnected.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I love how the 2018 LP Standard HP is actually closer than to an Eclipse or an Axcess than a normal Les Paul.

6. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

I wouldn't say it feels like plastic any more than any other gloss finished poly guitar. Even the PRS V12 gloss would feel the same. No, it doesn't feel like nitrocellulose. But, what I did with my ESPs was use a green abrasive pad (used for cleaning) and lightly scuff up the back of the neck. Feels super smooth now.

7. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I think an ESP M-II and Tokai LS75 and 98 that I owned in the past didn't feel as whatever that Eclipse felt like. But I agree that maybe some of that might have been slightly psychological because of the visual aspect of the Eclipse.

8. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I believe they are good in what they are made for.. I think the plastic feeling caught you because of the look not the feel.. even before you touch the guitar.. that matte black finish makes you feel it is not wood I agree... but I like that finish on a superstrat shredder..

Besides the Gibson and Fender, I have an Ibanez and played a lot of Ltd, E-II, Jackson, Schecter, etc.. I believe they have a totally different direction that classic guitars like Gibson and Fender..

When I try one of those shredders, I don't hold the guitar tight, strumming a chord unplugged to see how the guitar resonates.. no.. I plug it to a high gain amp and see how it plays.. For these guitars, i care about playability and look more than tone and resonance !