Does anyone here own an Ibanez AEL2012E?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Donal, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I like Ibanez, but were I you I'd take a serious look at Yamaha. I just bought an FG820-12, and after 5 days I'm completely thrilled with it out of the box. If I was still performing it would be a Guild, undisputed king of 12 strings.

3. SoManyGuitars

SoManyGuitars Senior Member

With acoustics, you get what you pay for... Spend as much as you can afford, and buy fewer (good) guitars, not more (cheaper) guitars.

4. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I had a six string in the same line. I traded it in because the top kept on getting softer and softer. I loved it and hated to see it go. A 12 string that top will fold real fast.

Donal likes this.
  5. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

guitar pics 12-31-07 006.jpg I have a 6 string in the AEL line and its a great guitar. I don't think you can go wrong with Ibanez.

kevinpaul and Donal like this.
  6. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

BC5C9815-407D-4336-9AF8-0A63051A9CEE.JPG This the Ibanez I spoke of. A great guitar but it had the Chinese flu. It was a gift from Lina and I would never dump a gift. If someone thought enough about me to get me something nice, I'll keep it forever. This was turning into a pancake.

MooCheng and Donal like this.
  7. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I had an Ibanez 12 string in the 80's. the only issue was the bridge started lifting.

Donal likes this.
  8. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I've only owned Ibanez solid bodies, and were the higher end of the 80s. Great guitars.
    The Yamaha acoustics I've had from the 70s were great guitars with no issues, kind of sorry I let them go but that was a long time ago. As I said, this new one really impresses me.
    I also have a couple of Washburn acoustics, An 85 Woodstock Artist(think Nancy Wilson and Bob Weir), and a 01 Cumberland Jumbo with Quilted Maple back and sides, and solid spruce top. I wouldn't trade them for anything, they get it done.
    Best of luck on your search.

Donal likes this.
  9. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

If you're wanting something to use with a band for just a few songs, you could always go with this.

I've been thinking about picking one up to make a few Beatles tunes sound a bit more authentic.
    It could be used with either an electric or amplified acoustic, and it's way easier to carry around.:D

Otherwise......Yamaha would be the way to go over the Ibanez every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Donal and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I have a 6 string AEF. Acoustically it's a little boxy, but amplified sounds fine.

Donal likes this.
  11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I dunno squat about Ibanez, but I agree you can't go wrong with any decent Yamaha acoustic. They are just the best bang for the buck guitar, and get better as you spend more. They also litter the used market.

Donal, you use an amp modeller, correct? Is there no decent acoustic simulator onboard? I was super skeptical about them, especially after trying a student's BOSS AC-3. Maybe it was the amp we were using, but I just did not get the feelz for it.

However, a while back I ordered a JOYO Ironman Wow Waw and was sent a Wooden Sound instead. I dunno what pedal it's a copy of (do JOYO actually develop their own pedals?), but it works like a charm in a band setting. I run it before my DOD Chorus for a fine 12 string sim. The first time I presented it to the band, they thought it sounded fantastic, and it certainly sits well in whatever I use it for. We just started performing Band On The Run and I got tasked with the acoustic part on the last part of the song. Makes the cover sound more authentic, and saves the need to bring another guitar, set up a DI, etc. You can check it out here (skip to 0:50 for the sample).

Donal likes this.
  12. Donal

Thanks all :thumb:

Yes I currently run my Les Paul (mostly the 12 String) through the Helix for songs like Wish you were here or What`s up and it sounds 99% like an Acoustic 12 String. The Sound is great.

I have got to the stage with the Helix and my LP(s) that I could play every song on our setlist without swapping guitar and it would be more than acceptable soundwise.

It`s really more about playing an acoustic on those songs that were origionally recorded with Acoustics rather than on the the LP, that`s all really.

(Like I switch to my SG for the AC/DC Songs, of cource they would be more than ok on the LP as well).

13. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Look for bridge hump. I have a Japanese made Yamaha Red label and I reset the neck and I put wet towels in it and weight on it to get the top flat again. To me it was worth it. I have never heard another 12 acoustic sound like it. Made in 1969 the golden years of Yamaha Guitars.

northernguitarguy and MooCheng like this.
  14. Donal

Couldn`t find one to try anywhere so I just ordered one :fingersx:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017