Does Age Matter?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Alan Atmeh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Alan Atmeh

Alan Atmeh Junior Member

Hey peeps, I really want to start teaching my 4 year old how to play the guitar but some friends are telling that he may not be ready yet! I checked out some online articles about this (Here's one) and I really think that I should at least try. What do you think???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

At that age, I don't think the instrument is what is important. In general, the earlier you expose children to just about anything, and certainly music, the easier it is for them to learn. There are some real advantages to exposing very young children to music as far as their future music potential is concerned. In some ways even a 4 year old is getting old for developing some music skills (such as perfect pitch).

I think the key thing is having them listen to all sorts of music. Not just rock, or blues, or country. But every type, even some pretty far out jazz stuff. It develops their "ear". Singing is super helpful too.

As far as actually learning a musical instrument, I don't think there is any age that is too young unless they physically can't do it. But what I think matters is how the parents approach it. Forcing a child to do something turns it into a chore and they will learn to hate it. I'm not sure a 4 year old could actually get very far even on a child size guitar. But I could be wrong.

But hey, you could tune one up in an open tuning and teach them to bar or even use a slide. An inexpensive keyboard would be great. That's much easier to play than a guitar.

Bottom line, I don't think it would work well to try to actually teach a 4 year old how to play say a C, F, G, D chord etc on a guitar. Remember how frigging hard that was at first. I'd look at easing them into into music anyway you can. Let their own interest be the guide.

FYI, your link was to something completely unrelated.

judson, Sct13 and Alan Atmeh like this.
  3. JonR

JonR Senior Member

At that age, I suggest a ukulele. It's about the right size for a 4-year-old, is easy and fun to play, and makes a good intro to guitar technique. And cheap too!

If you really want to start him on guitar, get a half-size - acoustic ideally. Don't give him lessons, just let him play with it, and show him stuff when he wants.

EDIT: corrected gender!

kiko likes this.
  4. electricfactory

electricfactory Senior Member

This.
    I started playing at 6 and had my first 'real' guitar at 8yrs old, a Sears/ Silvertone electric guitar-in-amp-carrying-case..

Alan Atmeh likes this.
  5. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

sharing the love and passion for music goes a long way. That's even more important than the instrument itself.

6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I think "as early as possible" for anything you want them to learn. I would look for someone who specializes in young children, though.

They may not be Mozart by 6, but by 12 or 14, they will have a much deeper understanding of music and how it works than if you wait.

7. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Get him started in the ukelele first. It is small, less strings, and easier fingering.

Alan Atmeh likes this.
  8. parts

parts Senior Member

Just no Mel Bay books...

Sct13, Malikon and Alan Atmeh like this.
  9. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yep, no books - and no teacher either - just plenty of singing and listening to music.

I teach kids myself, btw, starting at 6 or 7. They can just about handle books (and a teacher) at that age, but the book has to be designed for kids that age, with fun games.
    Music itself is a fun game, of course, for all of us!

What I've noticed with the kids I teach is that the ones that do best, who progress fastest - who appear to be "talented" - are the ones with a musical parent (or uncle/aunt, or older sibling). So yours has a good start there! It's not a genetic thing, it's just about making music a normal daily activity. Not something that only "special" people can do.

mdubya likes this.
  10. gadafi

gadafi Senior Member

Only one way to know, what have you got to lose?

If he'd rather be playing with his lego you'll soon find out....On the other hand we look forward to seeing his note perfect rendition of 'Sweet Child of Mine" by is 6th birthday!

Alan Atmeh likes this.
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Junior Member

Never too young or old. I have grandkids from 1 -14 years old. Okay, maybe I'm too old. Point is they've all had time "playing" papa's guitars. I may have to clean my gear more than most but thats a small price to pay to help develop a kids interest in music

Eddie 70 likes this.
  12. FiguredMaple

FiguredMaple Junior Member

What books do you recommend?

13. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Seeing you play, and listening to good music is probably better. Sit a 3/4 sized guitar or uke in his room and let him play with it like a toy. I did that with my three kids, now aged 30, 27, and 25. One took up guitar and bass, builds his own guitars and pedals, and is a better player than I am. One is a trumpet player, quite good. And one has no interest at all in playing music. For the two that play, once they got hooked, you couldn't get the instruments away from them. My guitar playing son took every guitar I owned from about 1995 on and made them his own. I was OK with that. Paid me back a year ago by presenting me with a brand new custom built Baja Tele.

Bob the builder and Eddie 70 like this.
  14. mangus

mangus Senior Member

May I suggest a guitalele? Same number of strings as a guitar but different tuning and much much smaller.
    Try including it in the child's environment letting him play with, maybe join him to motivate the behaviour. At that age everything is a toy, let him fall in love with the instrument.(that's what I plan to do with my princess when the time comes).

Sct13 and Larcos_Unal like this.
  15. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Guitalele?
    Kazookeylele!

16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

All of the really gifted guitar players I know started on piano. And started young. Just a thought.

17. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Started my grandaughter who is now 9 months old, with percussion... banging in time on an empty 5lb coffee can.... hands and wood spoon. She also uses the body of my acoustic guitar as percussion. Tapping the upper bout gives higher tones than the lower bout down below the bridge. She is noticeably developing tighter beats and a good sense of rhythm.

It's never too old or young to join in music making.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  18. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I leave my guitars all over the house, there is a piano (electric) and a Hammond organ available, the grandkids are allowed to touch and play anything they want (within reason) Recently she picked up a plastic Barbie guitar and started strumming...so I tuned it to open E ....she strummed it and her face brightened up ....like the open chord really struck ....a chord....That's when I knew she had interest and it was worth trying to teach her...

So exposure, see if there is interest, give them winning moments and it will go pretty far, I just bought her a half scale acoustic....

mdubya and parts like this.