Do You Prefer Your Les Pauls Worn or in Mint Condition

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by pureanalog, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Brutalisateur

Brutalisateur Senior Member

I prefer my guitars well-worn, doesnt matter if its wear or relicing as long as it feels good. New guitars feel and look like they're made of plastic.

fix6661 and Mr Insane like this.
  2. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Senior Member

I like a guitar that's well played. If that involves causing wear to the finish and hardware, so be it. Pristine guitars have no mojo, as far as I'm concerned. Kind of like girls; I think most guys would agree that they like a girl that's seen more action, over a girl that appears to have never been touched.

This isn't to say that I don't take care of my guitars, because I do. I'm just not obsessive about it. The first ding always hurts, but goes with the territory of playing a guitar.

fix6661 likes this.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Senior Member

Well I guess if you were playing yours, you wouldn't be replying now would ya!!! ?

4. Angrycolon

Angrycolon Junior Member

I'd love my guitars to look mint! But I definitely play better once I get over the newness of a guitar and stop worrying about the finish. It can be a distraction. It's a tool for gosh sakes and made to make music. That's what I tell myself anyways. That said, I'm fortunate enough to have players and investments. The guitars that rarely see polish and all the shine is gone and are laid out in the open on stands all day are the ones that feel most like a part of me.o_O

5. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I play my guitar, when I am done playing, I kick back, relax and check MLP to see what's new. I don't log into MLP to bitch about other people's taste in guitars.

For instance, I am not very fond of Martin acoustic guitars, but I don't spend my time here harassing those who like them.

1all's Pub and PierM like this.
  6. ajay

ajay Senior Member

My guitars are kept pristine. Especially acoustics. When I practice, I put a polishing cloth under the guitar on my knee, And where my arm rests on the lower bout, I put a polishing cloth under my forearm.
    I will say that even though they are truly played in, they usually sell to the first one who sees it. I REALLY love beautiful acoustic guitars.
    If I have a Les Paul with a plus top, I treat it the same as my acoustics unless we're playing a gig. THAT is where my guitars get treated like an instrument, and not a keepsake.

7. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

There's nothing "objective" about "the most expensive guitars are older because people are paying more money for them." In fact, that's most clearly about "subjective" value rather than objective value. I came very close to trading an exotic old Italian sports car for a nearly pristine '59 burst at Rumble Seat in Ithaca a few years ago. I didn't consider it to be even close to "the best" at anything guitar related. It would have been fun to play and show off, of course, but there was nothing about it that made it a better guitar than others that I have. In fact, it wasn't even a better investment than the car, which is why I still have the car (which is now valued at three or four times what the guitar is worth).

8. PeHow3

PeHow3 Junior Member

I like Les Pauls in ANY condition!

1all's Pub likes this.
  9. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I think hat each has it's merits.

10. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

Mojo is Mojo, old, worn, new, pristine. I like them all based on what each has to offer. No right or wrong, just a preference of.......

11. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Member

Natural wear. Sold a PRS Custom 22 10top not so long ago for the simple reason I was scared of spoiling it. Got a beater 87 junior I can just 'dig in' with.

12. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

When looking at new guitars I very much used to dislike anything not-gloss. Especially when concerning Standard or True Historics and the like.

I think it was seeing guitars on runs like Collectors Choice that brought me round to it a bit, and now I can say I do appreciate both a gloss and a VOS. I don't think I'd go so far as to buy an aged guitar even now, as I like the idea of buying one fresh (or semi-fresh VOS) and then doing the ageing myself.

The same goes for my attitude regarding guitars I've already owned. I used to hate myself for getting nicks and scratches in them - I wanted them to remain pristine. But I noticed after buying my first full Gibson Les Paul that even a bedroom guitar sees signs of wear. The satin neck started to gloss up thanks to my hand, as well as other spots of the body that touched by body and clothes. It started to get light scratches and small imprint dings around the edges. The same goes for my LP Studio. It occurs more if you gig with them. So I realised the futility and consigned myself to appreciate these things as they age.

13. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I don't like pure abuse. Honest wear is fine as the good ones usually get played. But hey, some people pay big bucks for makeover/factory aging.

14. jstarr823

jstarr823 Senior Member

I like the new Toasted Marshmallow Telecasters. Mmmm...

[​IMG]

15. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I bought a reliced Guitar. It was reliced by the previous owner the old fashioned way. He bought it new and played the S**t out of it. I like it. My other guitars were bought new or assembled by me. I'd like to keep them nice, but, They get bumped so, Oh Well.

16. voggin

voggin Senior Member

Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been said before.

I like guitars to look well played, but not abused. When they came out with the "Brownie" reissue, they did a little you tube video with Clapton. He said he liked to buy used strats with worn maple boards, because it showed that someone had played it. I think his quote was it was like going to a restaurant that was full of people, the food must be good. So a well-played guitar was probably one that sounded good.

Don't know if that's the best logic in the world, but I see what he's getting at.