Do You Prefer Your Les Pauls Worn or in Mint Condition

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by pureanalog, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

My favorite [of three] cat, Roger. Was sleeping on my 2017 BB while the case was opened and got startled..
    He jumped off and scratched the paint next to the selector...
    Thankfully I wanted a selector plate which covers the scratch...

Roger is the best cat ever btw..

We agree on everything...

When can my wife, daughter and I move into your basement??

I call the goldtop custom!!

-Chris

Donal likes this.
  2. Becker34

Becker34 Member

Not quite... I'm an old demolition derby driver, so...

As far as guitars go, I prefer natural wear through years of play/use/gigging. While I've never bought a new LP (closest was my LPC, a year old when I got it. It was played and gigged by a guy who wore a WWF championship belt when he played, but that rash on the back was the worst of it.) I don't have a problem with a functional guitar that shows some miles, like my Standard. That thing looked like ass when I got it, but she cleaned up nice and still shows wear.

I can do without paying a premium for a relic'ed guitar, but that's my preference.

3. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

I'll assume he meant buying a "new" car and wrecking it. I do remember in my youth, the body shop I worked at bought a 72 Impala that was in terrible condition and turned it into a demo car. That was a blast.

Becker34 likes this.
  4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I could live with a road worn '60s Jazzmaster, but I wouldn't buy a reliced LP, or pay to have that done to any guitar. My LPs are all satin finish, and though I try not to bump them into anything or drop them, they get no special care. Pretty much never wipe them down. On the other hand, I don't play any of them often, so they should look good for a long time.

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

3/4 of my collection of guitars are used pawnshop scores.

Most are worn and that's just fine with me.

Let someone else pay for the new guitar, I'll take the big discount on it used.

fix6661 likes this.
  6. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

7. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I like my Les Paul(s) to be REAL.
    Signature models are okay, but don't replicate chips and wear. You have to earn that.

Don't give me a new one that is supposed to look like an old one.
    Or do crazy artificial "antiquing" or "ageing" to it like a silly headed ninny muggings.
    Like I mentioned. You have to earn that.

YMMV

DB Chuckster likes this.
  8. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I like slightly used.. brand new is nice but ya have the cloud of keeping it mint over your head and getting that first ding. New aged/worn guitars have a cool look but I’d never pay extra for it.. I like the broken in feel but I don’t want it look like it’s been drug behind the FedEx truck upon delivery.

9. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Buying - I like new or like-new.

But I’m one of those people who play the same guitar all the time so it’s showing wear and the rest are all looking pretty damn shiny. I clean my LP but the reality is that pick dust builds up pretty quick. Fret board grime etc. I take care of it but I’m not anal about it. The finish is showing wear and the chrome is corroding so it’s not like it could ever sell it as like-new.

10. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

I have perhaps a different take on why people like relic'd guitars (myself included)

To like a relic'd guitar you must believe two premises.

1. Old guitars are better than new guitars - Pre CBS Fender, '59 Les Paul lots of people feel as though the best guitars have already been made

2. If a guitar is worn then it must have played great - Which makes sense, if the guitar played like shit and was beat up, it would have gotten thrown out. However if it was kept then there must have been some magic/mojo...

This is why, in my opinion, a worn/relic Les Paul or Fender looks "cool", it's closest to what the "best" is. In contrast a relic'd Ibanez wouldn't make sense because the best Ibanez would looks new.

11. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I'm not a fan of guitars feeling new, but at the same time won't buy used instruments unless it is something I am specifically interested in (my ES335TDC being one example).

I like guitars that have a lived-in feel, but only by me that has done the living through years of use.

Howard2k likes this.
  12. fix6661

fix6661 Member

Must?.. Well, as noted above, I happened to own a reliced guitar (important note though, it didn't cost me extra). And I don't share neither of the beliefs. However, I find it convenient not to worry about scratching a guitar. Even if you put a dent on it, it still looks "factory-new"... i.e., factory-reliced :)
    And TBH, I hate the looks of a fresh scratch or dent on a mirror-like gloss surface of a new guitar. Feels awful, even though it's inevitable.

13. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

I have trouble bonding with new guitars until I’ve worn them to a point they are obviously not new. I buy most of my LPs new and have had a couple that just hung there and stayed shiny, then I sold them.

I used to scoff at ‘pre-aged’ guitars. Then I bought my first VOS. It quickly became my number one because I wasn’t worried about wear.

THEN I bought a lightly aged R9 and the fat lady sang! It’s been my number one ever since. I’ve worn the frets from .045 down to .025 in 3 years. Almost time for a regret and that will just make me want to play it more. Most of the factory aging had been added to or replaced by my real aging. Most of the razor checking is now real. I never worried ab0utwear and tear so I just played the crap out of it, and probably always will.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  14. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

I just have to say, I had a LP that I played every day, day in and day out for almost 20 years. When my son got it there was some worming on the back and a decent amount of weather checking. The frets were worn and there’s divots in the fingerboard.

But the idea that a person could wear the finish off the neck and arm rest areas seems rediculous unless you’re wearing sandpaper clothes and gloves.

rockstar232007 and RichBrew like this.
  15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I prefer mint guitars.. i am happy that my 2005 Ibanez is still mint.. my 2012 Les Paul is mint too and i wish i can keep it mint forever

16. Low Gain

Low Gain Senior Member

I tend to dislike the sweat of other players on my guitars.

Howard2k and RichBrew like this.
  17. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Here she is. The previous owner removed the PG, cream rings, and cream washer. So besides polishing I installed the foil knobs and removed the poke-her chip with gold font for silver font not installed in this pic. The other thing i had to get rid of was the dumb les paul custom trus rod cover and installed a historic one. You can see the "aging" in the pickguard area and where your forearm would rest

IMG_3837.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  18. Radbloke McShreddington

Radbloke McShreddington Junior Member

I'd never buy a reliced guitar but have no problem with genuine wear and tear. It's pretty rare I get to rock out with the boys, so when I do, I get right up it. My guitars tend to wear the brunt of it but I bought them to have fun with. One of my mates that I jam with is pretty OCD and is horrified with the callous disregard I display for my pieces of wood with wire on them.

19. T22

T22 Member

I have my near mint at home guitars, then I have a guitar that I use for environments where dings and dents are inevitable.

DB Chuckster likes this.
  20. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

I totally prefer worn. My 09 Trad HCS is more worn than my 11 Custom, mainly knicks and scratches from me doing work to it, but I really don't like Mint condition LP's. I would love for my trad to have the worn look of Kossoff's or Page's but of course mine isn't from 59 and I don't really agree with the pay for aging the guitar thing. I like to know what each knick or ding I put on my LP's are from ya know.