Do you ever play "The Star Spangled Banner" or your Country's National Anthem on guitar?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by cherrysunburst00, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Speaking of Whitney..... holy ****. Still.

Just watched it again. Goosebumps.

FF to 1:05

PeteK, Rocco Crocco, freak and 4 others like this.
  2. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Hendrix, by the way...was NOT playing the ssb in protest. He was playing it in a new way that reflected what was happening At that EXACT moment in time. He spoke of that performance and the song with quiet reverence. Not in protest.

(And explain to me how he could get too much credit for "his version". He INVENTED the version that every distorted electric guitar has imitated since 1969!!!!! He can't get any more credit..he gets ALL the credit. ALL of it.)

Don't forget that like 4 years prior to playing the Ssb at Woodstock Jimi was a Paratrooper in the air force? Or was he in the army?

Now i didn't know Jimi Hendrix personally ... but I do know what he said specifically about politics and protests and all that. And what he said was pretty much peace and love. And not much else.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    cherrysunburst00 and redjunior like this.
  3. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

don't get your Hendrix knickers in a knot.

But he's using a Les Paul, not a Telecaster. I mean Tele sure,..jump in the pool. But a Lester? Man iz u krazy?

thanks Christina Aguilera!

:laugh2:

4. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

He’s a gifted genius.

5. Who

Pool-jump with an Epiphone. Then use it as a kick-board, as you nonchalantly make your way to the pool edge.

Unless you've been in the water for hours... the water will have done nothing to the poly-coated wood. If the Epi is still factory fresh, even the fretboard wood is so coated in wax that it will remain unaffected!

6. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

Definitely goosebumps

Can't watch enough of it

that's the best one I've ever heard
    [​IMG]

cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  7. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

Yes I have but there are many other instruments that sound better than the guitar for this particular anthem

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

oh hell yes i played it, off the front of a boat in a secluded harbor through my vox ad-5 at near full bore.

it was the 4th of july.

ramaglia375, cherrysunburst00 and Who like this.
  9. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

No...I've never played it.

But I did take a knee one time.

To the groin.

cherrysunburst00, Who and redjunior like this.
  10. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Did once back in high school around 2010, it was fun. Honestly I never considered myself to be a patriotic person at all but it was just fun for me to play guitar in front of other students at the time I guess

11. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

EVERY SHOW it is the last song of the night. Early on I was asked to play it as my last song of the night so I did. The response was so big and it came off so well ( clean, no distortion and played straight up no added stuff) that I have started doing it at every show as the last song, and the response is always the same.. I do not announce it or anything just say "this is my last song, I always play the same one ". It is funny to see people not really paying attention suddenly realize what I am playing and pup up and remove their hats. Not sure what my reaction would be if someone said or did something negative so I may have to stop to avoid anything. ..... Coincidentally I posted today that I may have to start asking if that is OK to do given the current climate. I do not do it as some sort of political statement, it is just ( to me) a cool assed song and I do appreciate and believe in what it is supposed to stand for BUT if a bar owner told me not to play it I wouldn't. I am his employee for that short 3 or 4 hours and I am being paid to play not make a political statement.....kinda like other paid entertainers IMO......BTW been doing this since before this blew up. not a bandwagon kinda thing.

12. Nard

Nard Senior Member

Ive done both. British and American. Funny thing was that at the time I never knew Hendrix had done it. I think I did a better version than Brian May though:naughty:

13. chazza

chazza Senior Member

I have sat and worked out the simple melodies for a few national anthems (British, American, French, German, Russian) but never taken them any further than that.

14. Who

That was pretty cool!

15. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Hendrix was a Paratrooper, 101st Airborne Division, US Army.

*Mod Note*

I just whacked two guys for trying an end-run around me regarding dragging political discussion into a football thread.

They found out I wasn't kidding. This not directed at you or any one person, but rather the entire crowd. Leave the anthem/NFL issue out of here or take a vacation.

cherrysunburst00 and Norton like this.
  16. Malikon

to be clear, Hendrix was no military hero. He was looking at 2 years in jail for riding in a stolen car and instead opted to join the military instead of doing time.

He was kicked out of the military after one year for chronic masturbation and basically a disregard for authority and inability to do his duty.

I like Hendix as much as the next guy, but he was no military hero. :laugh2:

(everything I said is documented and the records are even scanned and online if you want to look for them; you can read the actual military documents.)

17. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Never said he was a military hero.

But now We all know you are

18. LtDave32

I'm not exactly certain where you're going with that last sentence. But it sounds like trolling.

So let's not start trouble, okay?

19. Malikon

Norton do a butthurt. :laugh2: that's what happens when you get your Hendrix knickers in a knot. I warned you about that in post #23 and here you are going full clench. :laugh2:

[​IMG]

20. LtDave32

He loved his Airborne brothers though. At parties, unsuspecting fans/partygoers would strike up a convo with him, bring it around to current issues, then start bad-mouthing soldiers in the (then) current war. They were quite shocked by Jimi's response to their trendy ass comments.