Do you all still use Brazilian for builds?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by archey, Aug 16, 2017.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Do you have to declare what is in your package for domestic shipping? I do not for Canada. I only declare because of import export laws and taxes that are required to be levied on international shipments. If it is not an illegal / prohibited item then you should be fine. Better check to see if it is legal to ship state to state. There are some crazy laws applying going from state to state. In Canada, I do not believe there is anything that is prohibited to be shipped domestically, other than things that are illegal.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Okay, some clarification:

CITES is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. It simply does not apply unless the item in question is crossing a national border.

In the US, you also have to deal with the Lacey Act. However, the LA also only applies to the illegal importation of material, not to domestic transactions. It is not a crime to own, transport, buy or sell BRW within the borders of the United States, nor can the government demand to see "pre-ban paperwork" unless it's moving internationally.

To the best of my knowledge, the only species of which it is a crime in the US merely to possess any part, is the bald eagle.

archey likes this.
  3. archey

archey Senior Member

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. That helps a lot. I had some boards for sale in a Facebook group and took them off because I kept being harassed by two guys. There's so much misinformation about the legality of rosewood.

4. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Basically we're all bored and scared of having to go through a load of legal guff just to get a plank of wood that's the approximate length of an arm and too thin to bother adding in a simile!

5. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Madinter now has an updated CITIES page which is good stuff.

archey likes this.
  6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Frankly it's the price for me. I'm still a hobbyist / amateur builder so screwing up a blank of EIR costs me about $15 and I have a stack here and can grab a replacement. If the price is $150 for one blank that's just not reasonable. That kinda kills it right there, let alone the paperwork involved.

Cheers Peter.

archey likes this.
  7. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Brazzy is beautiful and it's classic and I've only used it twice. Once to replace an original but totally worn out Brazzy board on a 1953 Gibson ES-295, and the other time, I made a guitar with the fingerboard sliced off the generously sized BRW neck blank, only to be rejoined to it after routing the truss rod channel. But that did not go perfectly, as I had a big edge tearout on the fingerboard while trimming the edge, so I had to bind the fingerboard. I was hoping to get the "one piece neck and fingerboard" look but that was not to be. Still it was a great guitar.

I don't really have any desire to use more BRW. Pretty stuff, and classic, for sure, but my preference for fingerboard woods runs toward ebony or better yet, African Blackwood, which is what Ebony wishes it could be. Definitely AB is my favorite wood for fingerboards.

8. archey

archey Senior Member

I have some nice boards in the classifieds right now if anyone is interested...