Do you all still use Brazilian for builds?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by archey, Aug 16, 2017.

1. archey

archey Senior Member

I have an opportunity to buy a few long boards of Brazilian rosewood. Does anyone here still use it for builds? It won't have cites paperwork because it's actually antique furniture at this point. I just don't want to make a large investment if the interest isn't there.

2. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

I think you'll have people here who will buy, if just for all the 59 replicas. You can also make some cash selling them on eBay.

archey likes this.
  3. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

I'd probably be interested in a board if you got some!

archey likes this.
  4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

As intriguing as using Brazilian is to me, the cost simply puts it out of the ballpark for me. Then again, I've still got a whole slew of materials I want to try for fretboards: kingwood, cocobolo, macassar ebony, pale moon ebony, etc. The sad thing is all of them are cheaper and easier to get than Brazilian.

archey likes this.
  5. archey

archey Senior Member

Not to dissuade you from pale moon ebony, but I bought a fingerboard blank of it once. It was the dullest tap tone I've ever heard. It just sounded really muted and lifeless. It could have just been that particular piece.

6. Fred

Fred Premium Member

Archey, I'm interested if the price is right. Let me know how much if and when you get the wood. Fred

7. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

If it's big enough for acoustic backs and sides, chopping it into fingerboard blanks is a terrible waste.

I'm sure you can find a classical builder who will pay $$$$ for it as-is.

RAG7890, archey and Skyjerk like this.
  8. archey

archey Senior Member

I'm not sure yet of the width of the pieces. There are three pieces together. The total width is 19 1/2", one piece is wider than the other two. I agree with what you're saying, but I will cut at least one into fingerboards, because I build electrics.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  9. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

Cutting 3" off one side for FB blanks will still leave 16-1/2" total, enough for a 3-piece back. But not sides, unless the pieces are really long.

10. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

That should be plenty for both backs and sides. How thick?

11. Bill Hicklin temp

Bill Hicklin temp Banned

Close, anyway. With a good professional bandsaw setup that should yield 3 plates or maybe even 4 with luck and a tight sphincter.

archey likes this.
  12. archey

archey Senior Member

13. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Sorry piss in your cornflakes, but I think CITES might have something to say about that. I know that with Ivory you can buy it if it was made before 1947 but you can't alter it's original form in anyway. I know someone who wanted to rip apart an old piano for inlay material but he was stopped. I don't know if the same doesn't apply here...

14. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Its not Ivory and CITIES would only apply if he ships it overseas.

archey likes this.
  15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

My bigger question is who still eats corn flakes? :)

archey likes this.
  16. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Why? Have they been listed as an endangered food? ;)

[​IMG]

jkes01 and archey like this.
  17. archey

archey Senior Member

No worries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my understanding cites laws only apply to IMPORT or EXPORT of Brazilian rosewood in or out of the United States. Since everything I have is old growth from antique sources within the US it's perfectly legal to use

18. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

I can tell you this Archey: ebays Global Shipping program is having some issue with buyers items being with-held. I'm talking about the handles on Stanley/etc, Planes ,and other items they are unsure of. Even rosewood colored beech!!! lol The madness has become a snowball....

Edit - the sellers are not getting their items back either. Ebay is stumping up funds - how long that will continue, lord knows!

archey likes this.
  19. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Ah fair enough- I don't really know the fine print of the CITES shite-only what needs to be done to get through all the bull. But over here in the UK They are very strict about ivory and other such protected materials. Didn't know if rosewood counted or not.
    Well everyone knows we brits still talk about the war as though it were last tuesday, its fair to say we haven't moved on much since 1947! Corn flakes are very much a part of the Great British breakfast!
    I think they have a point in trying to be more sustainable but they are going about it all bass-ackwards...

20. archey

archey Senior Member

Interesting. I certainly don't want to break any laws. As far as I can tell I'm good, but I'm not a lawyer either.