Do "Pro" series guitar have upgrades electronics as well as pups?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by navigate40, Aug 6, 2017.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Hello

New member. I bought an Epiphone DR-500mce after playing it and continue to be thrilled with it's quality and sound. I then ventured in and found an Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus top Pro...which I also love. Really just amazed at the quality and playability of these.

SO....now I have GAS....and have been thinking about acquiring an Epi 339 P90 Pro. There are posts online about upgrading the electronics of some of these instruments and how that helps their sound. None of those posts seem to be about "Pro" series instruments.

SO...the question: Do Epiphone "Pro" series instruments have upgraded electronics and wiring? Maybe CTS pots and orange drop caps?

Any information would be appreciated.

[And yes, I did go crazy and put P90's in the strat :) ]

Many thanks
    John dr500b.jpg Les&strat.jpg

paruwi likes this.
  2. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

Initially as it was used, "Pro" designation usually referred to coil splitting abilities, and then with the newer line of Probucker pickups it became a designation for guitars with those particular pickups. To my knowledge the electronics haven't ever really changed, but someone who's owned more recent and new Epi's may chime in with something different to say.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

4. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Great! Thank you for the kind and quick replies.

I could not be more pleased with my LP Stand Pro. I learned a long time ago (with Strats) that when an axe works....you buy it! And then....don't mess with it. So....taking that lesson with me...I bought the LP that just played and sang, right out of the box. I had thought the "Pro" pups would make a significant difference... and I think they do.

My thinking recently has been...if I can find a standard WildKat or 339, cheap...that I might just upgrade with new pups. I recently got a pair of Kent Armstrong P90's that I really like....at a good price. So....if the wiring is the same....it might pay to go that route. Had the wiring been upgraded...than a Pro model would make sense.

My dilemma now is.....I can get a WildKat for $300 on the current GC sale. But...I really want a 339. And....if I get the 339 P90 PRO....I might not need to upgrade the pups.....

Hmmmm....leaning towards waiting. Even if I can find the same deal ...two new pups will be $100...making the $300 WildKat $400....and I can get a 339 P90 Pro for $449 any day....with sales running 10-15% off...making it essentially the same price as a wildKat I would upgrade......

And I might like the P90 Pro pups...I like the Pro buckers. YouTube vids sound good...but you really have to sit and play one. Honestly....there can be significant differences in sound (and playability!) from one to the next of the exact same model....true even with strats.

paruwi likes this.
  5. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

I thought another thing the Pro models had was the coil-splitting. I know both my Traditional Pro and 339 Pro both have that feature.

6. navigate40

navigate40 Member

My Epi LP Standard plus has coil splitting. It is a nice feature, though I do not use it much. The Pro humbuckers are really great. I can even get surf rock tones from the bridge pup, when I add some crunch on the amp and turn up the 'verb.

The model I am interested in now is the 339 P90 Pro. So, no coil splitting on the P90's. But, I have discovered that I just love P90 pickups. And so, think getting the P90 pro's would be worthwhile, since I like the humbucker pro's so much.

Of course....I would be playing the guitar, or several, until I find that it works for me. I have had mixed luck ordering online...but GC's return policy is so good....that being disappointed in just an inconvenience.

We shall see....but....really thinking of a 339 P90 pro in Sept.

Keep your fingers crossed for me

:)

howardlo likes this.
  7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

if you can find one

over here it's nearly impossible

howardlo likes this.
  8. navigate40

navigate40 Member

:) Plenty here, many sales.

My only hurry was that GC here had the WildKat studio on sale for $300! So...I had thought about getting it and then upgrading the P90 pups. But....that would put me right around the price of a 339 on sale, possibly over. And I would rather have the 339....and try the P90 Pro's. I think they will work great.

I Like the strat, like it better with P90's, really like the LP...but am just moved by the 339 P90.....You must know how it is.....

howardlo likes this.