Do I use DAW or Multi track recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Nard, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Nard

Nard Senior Member

I use a Boss BR 80 to record my ideas and to me things sound ok. I'm not looking to produce a high quality demo or anything but I want the best I can get. The recorder came with Sonar LE 1X which I installed on my laptop but using it seems like a lot of work when the unit is a straight forward plug in and record. It has more built in effects than the Sonar as well as mastering. Like I said I want a decent result but I'm not sure which way I should proceed. Do I persevere with Sonar or carry on with just thr BR 80. Im new to this kind of thing so any input is welcome.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Usually the DAW software could be used for 'post production'.

In your case if you continue to use the Boss unit to record, you should be able to dump those tracks into the DAW to polish and edit them.

Most DAWS will import tracks that are not recorded inside of them, and usually a mfg will include something like that with the recorder unit to give the buyer more value and flexibility than the unit alone would provide.

You could, for example, record your tracks dry into the Boss and add effects to the guitar and vocals later, within the DAW.

If you don't like it, you can experiment with effects within the DAW that would be impossible if they were hard recorded on the Boss.

howardlo likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I bought an M Audio DAW several years back. I spent way too much time fiddling with it and getting set up to record.

I bought a Zoom H1 digital recorder and now everything is so much better, so easy. I just record the sound live in the room with it. It can function as a DAW also, but I haven't bothered.

Also, I don't usually like the direct input recordings I hear. I prefer the sound in the room.

4. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

That is what I do with my Tascam DP-008 recorder. Sit on the sofa, lay down the tracks, export them to the computer and use the daw to polish, mix, etc. Sure beats being tied to the computer while laying down the tracks.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yup! I have a similar setup using laptop to record off site and DAW in studio with the big Saffire units in the rack.

Saves me having to carry all that gear around!

Just started recording with our Touchmix the other day.

Can't get easier than recording right in the board! LOL!

Got the free tool to convert them to standard WAV files and I'm going to load them into my DAW soon. :thumb:

6. Nard

Nard Senior Member

If l transfer a song I've put together on the Boss into the DAW do I do it a track at a time or should each individual track be recognised and separated within the DAW and allow me to edit them separately?

7. DarrellV

Yes.....

Usually if a DAW ships with a recorder there is a way to get the tracks to the DAW from the recorder. Like USB for instance.

Usually they will all go at once and maintain their timing and relationship to each other.

That stuff is built into the tracks along with the audio.

For example, I just transferred the tracks out of my Touchmix into Studio one using their converter tool. In Studio one I just open the folder with the converted tracks in it and drop them into Studio One.

It then creates all 16 tracks within itself all still in time with each other.

There has got to be something similar with yours, I just don't know how yours works specifically. I'll bet someone in here does tho!

8. Nard

Nard Senior Member

Did some playing about tonight and managed to eventually get a completed song into the DAW. I think it will take a while to get used to everything but I'll give it a go.
    Thanks for everyone's input. I dare say I'll be back for more info soon :thumb:

DarrellV likes this.
  9. DarrellV

Yes! By all means play around!
    You can't hurt anything by learning. If you don't save your changes, they won't be permanent.
    There is probly an 'undo' feature in there too! Find it and use it if you're not sure you like something.
    There are snipping tools to weed out the dead space and trim your song to size.
    Not to mention all the effects and processors you can drop on your tracks to flavor them.
    Have fun!