Do hair and clothes really matter?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by dane999, May 11, 2012.

1. dane999

dane999 Senior Member

First off, this is an observation, not an opinion, I dont care how you look, or what age. And I'm 42, once I was 23, but not any more. It catches up with you, faster than you'd like.

My theory is...

When your youngish - 20's - you think your hair and clothes somehow identify who and what you are, young kids want to look "different" so they wear outlandish stuff, get tatoo's n piercings etc, and by doing so they all end up looking the same.

Older dudes (40+) wear slacks, nice shirts, have conservitive haircuts etc, and by doing so they all look the same.

So does your clothes and hair relegate you to a "stereotype".

Everyone was young once, everyone gets old, it's happening right now, we are all aging. You're two minutes older now than you were two minutes ago. It cant be stopped . Do you want to age gracefully or hang onto your youth at any cost?

Again, you are what you are, just want opinions, not arguments or backlash.

2. Backstage

Backstage Senior Member

The society is celebrating youth more than ever in history so this affects of course fashion. Not so long ago nobody wore jeans, washed out t-shirts and sneakers, they are all dressed (like a real man - lol, just kidding :D) in three-piece suits and nobody looks young but demure or as you said "gracefully" :).

3. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

summarized.

still lost.

3 people like this.
  4. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Member

No not where I live, the beaches are naked beaches

4 people like this.
  5. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

"When your youngish - 20's - you think your hair and clothes somehow identify who and what you are, young kids want to look "different" so they wear outlandish stuff, get tatoo's n piercings etc, and by doing so they all end up looking the same."

I figured they all wanted to look the same as their "tribe" - be it mod, rocker, hippie or whatever - the only thing any of them ever wanted was to dress and have their hair in a way that pissed off older people, parents especially. Anything to get a negative reaction.

Older dudes (40+) wear slacks, nice shirts, have conservitive haircuts etc, and by doing so they all look the same.

Nah - not this guy anyhows..... slacks, yeugh, conservative haircut, aaaaargh.....

So does your clothes and hair relegate you to a "stereotype".

In the eyes of the stupid, and the interviewers at companys, those people who might hire you because you wore a suit on the day. Any dumbass can put a suit on for an interview - proves NOTHING about you ! Had a mate went for an Antarctic Research post, couldn't decide whether to suit up or don all-weather gear and climbing boots for the interview. The job went to a guy in jeans and a lumberjack shirt - the same clothes the interviewer was wearing.....

"Do you want to age gracefully or hang onto your youth at any cost?"

I want to, and AM, growing old DISgracefully, and youth is over-rated, so why would I want to hang on to it. Outside I am sixty, inside I am still that horny teenaged rebel. 'Till the day I die. :fingersx:

6 people like this.
  7. dane999

dane999 Senior Member

Tommythunders, you've lost me man. I dont think I ever said what you quoted, and if you are going to quote, do it in context. Can you repeat that in a sentence that makes sense. Sounded interesting but i didn't quite get what you meant (hey I'm old-ish). We could have a cool discussion if you want.

And I'm not going to give my opinion on the matter cause I will recieve all hell of abuse. Just wanted to know how people feel about it, whether I am on to something or have completely lost touch. Rock on dude.:)

8. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

Suits suck, and "the suits" are the spawn of satan aka bankers and corporate crooks.....

3 people like this.
  9. dudu

dudu Senior Member

As you grow older, what you do gets more important than how you look. You start judging
    other people by that as well. So why not waste less time on looks and spend it doing more
    interesting things instead?

1 person likes this.
  10. TOMMYTHUNDERS

dude, i was clearly being a dick.

goddamn, got explain everything to you ancients.

1 person likes this.
  11. So What

So What Senior Member

Once you've been married for 20+ years, worried over money/employment, had kids that are/were the center of your universe, I don't think fashion is even a thought, much less a priority. Especially for guys.

I do have friends that still consider themselves "players" at 40+. They still worry about the way they look.

It also depends on your job. If you are an executive or work in an office, you still have to put effort into your appearance. Most places have gone casual though.

Around my community, most guys my age dress as if a golf game could break out at any minute!

1 person likes this.
  12. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Not too sure what you're getting at. Do they matter to me? Yes. I care about the way I look and I present myself how I see myself. Do I care about the way anyone else looks? No. Do others who don't care about how they look or dress lash out at those who do? Too often. I refuse to let age determine a damn thing. Perhaps I'll revisit that when I start becoming eligible for half price bus rides......

2 people like this.
  13. dane999

dane999 Senior Member

Did I stutter? Again I think people should be and dress how they feel comfortable. I have no probs with that.

My basic question was, to put into context, if you go to the mall, all teens/twenties look more or less the same.

All older people look more or less the same.

There is of course and always will be exceptions, thats what makes people individual.

Do they do this because it feels natural and comfortable to them, or do they do this because they want to fit into a sociably accepable stereotype?

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong. Just asking if anyone else has noticed this?

14. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Yes, and apparently was raised by wolves as well. Dego, out.

2 people like this.
  15. 05jrock

05jrock Senior Member

:d

2 people like this.
  16. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

you know how you had to aplogise for being a dick the other day?

you dont think you will have to make another apology soon for starting far too many inane threads do you? this one appears to be the very epitomy of non-thought provoking.

3 people like this.
  17. dane999

dane999 Senior Member

Fair enough but you don't have to read this thread if you dont want to. Why would you open the thread if you didn't want to.

Tommythunders is cool but I was simply asking for clarification cause his post made no sense at all, and he quoted me when I never said what he quoted me as saying. I just asked him to repeat it in an intelligable way. He was being a dick, in a nice way, which is fine. The humor did not translate in print.

I never said anything bad about anybody in this thread, just asking for opinions. Isn't the Backstage about general stuff? If you read the OP, I was just commenting on stuff that I see everyday, never said any of it was good or bad. Sometimes it is hard to convey tone in statement when it is so black and white.

Meant no disrespect to anybody and clearly I did not disrespect anyone, I was asking for your opinions, and kept my own oipinions to myself to deliberately avoid this kind of backlash. I'm not going to appologise cause I never said anything worth appologising for. Maybe you can point out what I did wrong and I will maqke amends.

18. TOMMYTHUNDERS

haha, you are either a genius troll, the most sensitive dude on the planet, or you have a crippling persecution complex.

where are you seeing a "backlash"? who has taken issue with anything you've said? what did you say that could even be somewhat considered a controversial opinion?

i can't tell if i'm getting trolled or not, but either way this thread ended up being an unexpected A+ in my book.

1 person likes this.
  19. naturalblack

naturalblack Senior Member

If that were the case why do older people often judge younger people by how they look/dress or wear there hair? Somebody their own age that dresses differently might get the benefit of the doubt just a bit more but they still get judged too

People pay attention to the way you dress and will make judgement from it no matter what the age. You will be stereotyped even if the stereotype is that your a lame ass old guy in slack and a conservative haircut.

you dont look like us your not one of us

20. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

dont ask for opinions and then complain when you get them!

it is my opinion that you are starting too many pointless threads. that is all.

(i opened the thread and read it, because if i didnt then i wouldnt know what your point was would i? turns out that i still dont as it happens.)