D'Marzio Titan pups.

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Dolebludger, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Gentlemen,

As my sig shows, I have three Carvin guitars. Two are from the 80s with the stock M22 pups and one is from about 2014 which I bought used with aftermarket D'Marzio Titan pups. It is a DC 127 with no trem, neck thru double cut and a combination of mahogany and maple construction. it has two pups, coil split and out of phase switches. And I literally can't get a bad tone out of it!

Now here's the thing. The 2014 Carvin sounds so much better than the others of the same make that I wonder if it is the D'Marzio Titan pups. So I'm asking what experience any of you have had with D'Marzio Titan pups on your guitars. It may be that they just "fit" this guitar. But if they are good on other guitars, I'm going to buy a few more sets!

2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I never tried the Titan PUs, but those stock Carvin M22's are terrible, IMO. Very bland.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  3. Dolebludger

Rocco,

We have to remember that the Carvin M22 pups on my 80s Carvins were designed for 80s music. They have lots of power, and fiizz, and chain saw sounds. Not the tone we want today. On this 2014 Carvin, the Titans sound with much more character and more roundness than Carvin pups ever could.

4. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I used to work for Carvin two decades ago, and every guitar that was upgraded pickup wise sounded freakin' amazing.

A co-worker of mine bought a brand new DC127 in maple neck thru with maple wings and fingerboard, just all maple in blue burst.

We dropped in a Duncan 59 in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge with upgraded pots and caps. Carvin was using dime size Alpha pots at the time.

Sounded great, so much so you'd almost swear it was a different guitar if you were blindfolded.

5. Dolebludger

Bud,

Good to hear from somebody with a lot of Carvin experience. So I have a question. What sort of pups would be good for replacement on my 1981 Carvin DC 120 solid electric 12 string? Unlike my DC 127, the DC 120 12 is all maple body and set neck with ebony board. As a matter of fact, my DC 120 was the first of this model made in late 80, and was the very one featured in Carvin's 1981 catalog. Your pup recommendations for it will be appreciated.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply. Any replacement pick up would be good, especially a lower output for the twelve string. I probably wouldn't put a SD Distortion or JB or a DM Super Distortion, as I feel a twelve string needs a lower output to allow more chime.

Also check the legs on the original pickup. Many Carvin routes are shallow and you may have to use pickups with the shorter legs on the baseplate.

7. Dolebludger

Bud, Thanks for the advice. I'll never understand people who beat up their guitars. As for pup route depth, the pups on my 12 string are vintage M22s I have no idea what stock pups came on my DC 127 (approximately a 2014 model) that now has Titans. When I bought it used, the case came with receipts for the work on the pup swap, and they don't indicate any routing. But I doubt it had the same M22s that were used in 1980. But I can easily check route depth on both guitars to ensure the Titans would fit the 12 string. I've been told that Titans are medium output. Can't find output information on either them or the M22s, but of course that info would only tell part of the story anyway. All I know is the Titans have a certain sweetness to their tone that is what I seek.

8. Dolebludger

Bud, I checked the route depths on both guitars using a thin wire, from bottom to the top of the of the pup rings (which are about the same height). The 12 string measured 1 3/8". The Dc 127 (which already has the Titans) measured 1 1/4". So I should be OK on route depth, right?