DIY Tube Overdrive

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by TeleDog, Dec 16, 2009.

1. whateverlikesgadge

whateverlikesgadge Senior Member

Thanks very much for posting this. What tubes will it work with I have a box full of mullard ecc 86's (I THINK) lying around at my parents place could build more than a few of these.

2. JackClark82

JackClark82 Member

GibsonUSA i has the same issue. My solution was to rework how everything was grounded. I basically made sure that the only thing grounded on the output jack was the power, everythiing else I grounded to the input jack, and it worked. Could try that.

Cheers, i love mine

3. Soef

Soef Member

GibsonUSA, I think I may found your problem. The scheme earlier in this thread had an error. The lead to the tone pot should come from pin 6 and not from 5. It was addressed later on in this thread.

I made the same mistake and mine didn't work in the beginning. This scheme has helped a lot.

[​IMG]

Here is my OD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It gives a nice bluesy sound. It needs 12V if you want some signal boost. The led is inside since I want to lit the tube when on but I need a more powerful one to get the effect.

4. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

hey thanks for the ideas, ill try them when i get home from class. i had a small success the other day when i turned on the pedal....

when turned on, and the volume on 0... no sound of course, but when i turned the volume up, a hum came through my speakers as i turned the volume up. so it seemed like the pedal worked but instead of a guitar signal to increase, it was a increasing hum with volume.

any ideas? could this be a bad ground somewhere? ill go home and put the tone pot lead to pin 6 and check it, then re do the grounds and let ya know.

thanks again for the feedback

5. siore

siore Senior Member

@Soef

That's a clever trick with the aluminum foil for shielding! It's aluminum foil, isn't it? How did you attach it? I like how your enclosure came out. The knobs match perfectly too. :dude:

6. Soef

Soef Member

Thanks. It is alu sticking tape that is used to seal exhaust pipes of heating systems. Bought it at a DIY store.
    I went for plastic casing since it easier to drill and I thought I'll have to shield it.

7. LRieves

LRieves Junior Member

am I the only one whose tone knob on this thing does next to nothing? and has anyone else noticed significant signal loss when switching the effect on? i'm pretty sure I have everything wired correctly, so maybe it's just a power issue...if so, shouldn't I change some resistor values if I want it to work properly at 12V?

8. LRieves

LRieves Junior Member

scratch that -I just realized I had wired a .001uf to the tone/volume pots... that makes a difference! the volume drop is still there though, but less of a drop when i took out the ecc82 and put in a chinese 12ax7b. my led is ridiculously bright, so i'm putting in a much higher value resistor, and hopefully that will allow more power to get to where it counts, unless i'm completely misunderstanding how current flows.

9. foolioGrimz

foolioGrimz Junior Member

i came across this thread awhile back and im attempting my first build using this design. ive got everything put together. the led lights up when its plugged in but doesn't turn on or off when i hit the switch? when i plug into the input the led dims real bad. maybe i wired the switch wrong? which ways top and which is bottom when wiring the switch or does it matter?

10. lxkev

lxkev Junior Member

I've just ordered all my bits for this project. I've never worked with tube before so I could do with some help... Rather than a tone pot could i replace it with the following
    3 Band Graphic Equalizer

11. kylerj133

kylerj133 Member

For those of you who have a working tube pedal, what scheme did you use?

12. bluesguitar65

bluesguitar65 Senior Member

Thanks for posting. I will be building this. I've built something very similar, but from a Kit. I'm using the same tube, 12au7.

[​IMG]
    By bluesguitar65 at 2012-03-21

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijl7hhqiTL4]MODKitsDIY The Persuader Tube Drive - YouTube[/ame]

13. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Wow -I just might order the parts to make one of these
    Are there any other projects to build as easy as this one ?

14. kylerj133

kylerj133 Member

for those of you who have got this working. What scheme did you use? I built it off of the revised first scheme on here and i get a super bad hum and very little guitar sound, sounds like im underwater