DIY Tube Overdrive

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by TeleDog, Dec 16, 2009.

1. siore

siore Senior Member

After some time of playing with dangling pots and wires, finally got 'em all in a box! :laugh2:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Guts..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I love the boost this thing gives to my '74 fender dual showman. :dude:

2. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Yup, pretty awesome with a tube amp. It's not metal overdrive, not by a long shot, but it'll drive a tube amp nicely! :D

Glad ya'll like it. It can be a pain, wiring can get tricky and the result is no sound, but that's true with every DIY pedal. Just takes a bit of patience.

3. siore

siore Senior Member

That's true man. :) The gut shot I've shown isn't the final one. I moved some grounds, changed the resistor combination on my bypass board til I got it 'right' for my LED, and changed out one troublesome pot (took me awhile to find that).

Got a question though, why is it that the (-) terminal of the dc jack is usually shown connected to the ring of the input jack? :hmm: That didn't work out well for me the first time around, until I moved it to the sleeve lug of the jack.

4. 0x00

0x00 Banned

For mine... after scratching the template on the box I drilled holes in the corners, then a bigger one for the jigsaw blade... cutting out as many pieces as I could with the jigsaw towards corners, and finished off with the handfile. Metal is soft so it worked out ok.

Yours looks sweet man! Nice wiring :thumb: I like that the tube is secured in place... how'd you do that? Tube in mine is kinda hanging.. :D

5. siore

siore Senior Member

Thanks! It's a thin piece of GI sheet that I fashioned into a circular strap thingy, then attached to the enclosure using steel epoxy. :) Got the idea from watching the tinsmith working on our roof sometime ago.

6. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

You guys are artists, painting the pedals and all... I just drilled a hole on the side of a cheap enclosure and that was it... lol.

I'm working on a layout for a pedal based on the V-Twin on my free time... Mr. Slowsky here but I'll get it done soon, I hope. That is a KILLER pedal, and I'll share the layout with y'all. Not a problem at all.

7. siore

siore Senior Member

I hope you're not referring to my work. :laugh2: Far from being artful, and it took stages to determine if it was good enough to have a decent box. Here's what it looked like when I was testing it out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I decided it would have a box, but my first attempt... frankly, looked like shiite. I admit I was excited to put it all in (no layout planning), but in the end, I didn't like the appearance, I just had to start over.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That would be sweet! What do you intend to use with it? PCB or terminal strips (dunno if this is possible or if it will fit)? Looking forward to it bro. :thumb:

8. siore

siore Senior Member

Hey guys, if you want a small board you could check out this layout too. It's the same thing, and I've tried it also (the pic where the tube is sticking outside my enclosure). Credit goes to aronnelson.com, and in his PDF you could also find some interesting referenced notes about the build.

[​IMG]
    http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/12AU7-6111_Valve_Caster_Summary_Rev002.pdf

BTW, I didn't follow any of the wiring on the tone and volume controls shown in any of the layouts. I wired it up the way I'd wire a les paul. :laugh2::laugh2:

9. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

That is a veroboard, be careful there, they can be a bit hard to find and a bit pricey if you find them.

I myself prefer the old school wiring, more reliable, and you can twist it to accommodate your needs since it's a PTP, more or less.

The Valvecaster is all over the place and there's a gazillion variations to it. I posted the most common, with a generic wiring to eliminate the veroboard.

There's one version in particular that uses a 12AX7 along with a chip. I've only seen the schematic, but the objective was to take the gain to a whole new level. I can't make a PCB if my life depended on it, so I've never tried it. The comments on that one are mixed, so I never cared much for it, but does look interesting.

The pedal I'm trying to do now is a bit different. It's, like I said, a version of the V-Twin from Mesa but modified to offer a more mellow tone, more suitable for classic blues. Sorry, it's going slow cause Im using my free time to build a Dumple amp, refinishing two guitars and trying to draw the layout for the pedal.

There are more projects like this I got... I'm gonna list them and post the one that gets the popular vote.
    - Tremolo/overdrive pedal (warning, 12V regulated PS required). (Also have schematic for the PS).
    - Voltage Multiplier (for use with a wall socket)
    - Twin Tube overdrive (more gain).

I got schematics a lot of cool pedals, but not sure there's interest 'cause most are just analog, not tube. I've only tried a few of those myself, like the OCD and the Blues Breaker (a pain in the ass to build).

I'm mostly into amps, and amps take the most of my project library. I got one that's particularly close to me, it's based on the Class5, with a touch of VJ. lol... Layout is done, but needs verification.

That's all I got so far, let me know if you guys want something else.

10. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Thanks, Dog! This will be a fun project!

11. Syn

Syn Senior Member

Thanks for these Teledog, gonna have a go at the Valve OD and the Boost pedal, might save me a bit of money on a micro amp!
    Just noticed in my spare parts I have a on-board effects pot I removed from a guitar project I bought. It has 4 positions, Clean Boost, Blues OD, Rock Distortion and Heavy Metal.
    Can you think of any simple pedal uses for a pot like this, I never even heard it in the guitar. It was an LP and I didn't feel right leaving it in there! :laugh2:
    Would it be possible to mount it on your boost pedal schematic in place of gain?

12. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

hey does it matter which way the switch faces? i am rewiring everything to make sure i do i right this time. i am going to mirror the diagram you provided teledog. also can the switch get damaged? there seems to be a red filament around the prongs and some are disconnected....is that bad? but the prongs are still intact

13. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

hey here's a picture of my pedal, painted and such.

now just waiting for final parts to come in

[​IMG]

14. FEARLESS9273

FEARLESS9273 Senior Member

Well, I do believe I am actually going to try and make one of these as my first pedal project. However, I need a little bit of advice:

Which type of capacitors work best for this - electrolytic, film, ceramic or silver mica?

Also, do I want 16mm or 24mm pots?

15. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

You shouldn't just think of electrolytic caps as regular caps. If you wire them wrong, they tend to do little tricks like, say, exploding.

Get the best cap you can get with the correct size. That's all you need, but careful, only use electrolytic caps when a schematic tells you to.

Get the smaller pots, otherwise you'll need a fairly big enclosure for your pedal.

16. FEARLESS9273

FEARLESS9273 Senior Member

Thanks TeleDog - and a great thread!

17. vaulner

vaulner Junior Member

Hi there!

I just registered because I saw this thread, it's great BTW but I just don't know if I should use a 220K Ohm 1/2w resistors or just 220K 1W resistors. Also, could you post some photos of your audio in jacks wiring? I don't understand where should I solder each wire.

18. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

teledog or anyone who has gotten this pedal to work!! i have wired it together for a second time, and still no sound. the LED works fine.

first of all after soldering everything together, two of the pins (pin 4 and pin 5) seemed clogged so the TUBE CANT SIT FLUSH (only on pin 4/5 side). i removed what i could but it still doesnt sit flush. the weird thing is that when i add power i can see the heating element turn red.

could this make the pedal not work? i REALLY dont want to have to order another tube socket and rewire that part again. i attached some pics

[​IMG]

if this is irrelevant here's my diagnosis

i have power to the following pins :::::
    pin 5 (heater 1)
    pin 6 (anode 1) --- this is less than pin 5 as it should be (electrons move to lower potentials)
    pin 1 (anode 2) --- this is the lowest (about 1.0V)
    pin 9 (heater center tap) --- this is half power (4.5V) im not sure of its function but im googling it.

now for the observed problems that seem not to make any sense.

pin 4 (heater 2) is GROUNDED in the diagram... this is a heater (should not be grounded) it used for thermionic emission.

no potentiometers have power (should they?)

also the switch has no power to any of the pins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

oh and i tested it without the backplate on to make sure it is not grounding anything out

20. Electric Bison

Electric Bison Senior Member

How's the V-twin project going? :naughty: