[DIY PICK] Remember my aluminium pick?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Friburg, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Friburg

Friburg Senior Member

Yeah I made my own aluminium picks a few weeks ago, well today I took DIY picks to a new level and made my own glass plectrum!

At first I tried an old pane of glass from some glass shelves I used to have, but while cutting it the pane exploded because it was safety glass, which I had no idea it was. It was a learning experience, that's what I'm calling it and I'm sticking to it lol

Bummed out I decided to call off my little project, but then I had the idea to cut try cutting old beer bottles, but they're cylindrical, that's when I remembered I still had an old Jack Daniels bottle and a Jagermeister bottle laying around. I figured why not try at least?

So I cut up the Jagermeister bottle to see what it was like, and I managed to cut through it really well, managed to make a pick, nothing fancy or anything to try and see what I thought. It felt great so I proceeded to cutting another from the bottle.

A couple of hours later and here is my result!

[​IMG]

Making the pick made lots of noise which gave me a huge headache but it was totally worth it, even the numerous cuts from picking up the shattered glass from my last attempt with the safety glass.

I used a diamond coated cutting disc on my rotary tool, various other rotary bits, and various grits of wet and dry sand paper, though I could do with something to make it allot smoother, because although it is smooth, it isn't smooth enough.

The hardest part of the whole project, other than cleaning up all of the glass and licking my wounds, was getting the tapered edge on the plectrum.

Let me know what you think.

Scotty

2 people like this.
  2. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Wow cool!!! That's seriously awesome looking! How does it sound and feel comparatively?

It looks like it must've taken you forever, it's even more impressive you did it with normal grinding tools. Did you have to use a wet process to keep it from breaking or keep the dust down?

3. Friburg

Friburg Senior Member

It feel great to play, never thought I'd like such a thick gauge but it was something new to try. In terms of play-ability it sounds awesome, though you can hear the strings twang against it well playing amped up, in other respects it's really dynamic and provides much more volume and a sharper tone. Sounds great when playing on the neck pickup.

The process of making it was long, but not as long as I thought it would take. cutting it from the bottle was probably the most time consuming part. The only wet process I used was during the use of wet and dry, the diamond cutting disc is covered in holes to help cool the disc of the glass so I didn't worry too much on that, though it was in the back of my mind.

The next time I make one I will be spraying water on it periodically while I cut it to reduce the dust, everything it covered in a fine white glass powder haha.

1 person likes this.