DIY 2x12 Cab Building Advisory

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hepsen, May 6, 2017.

1. hepsen

hepsen Member

Hey Mouse, how did yourealized the front of this cab?

To me it is obvious that one piece ply with tolex holds the logo and another piece ply (frame) holds the grill cloth. But how does it look from the inside? Does the panel with the speakers covers the complete hight?

To refer to the Bogner cab again I think I've seen pictures where the speaker panel covers the complete hight. As I like to get an angled front I'm also wondering if the logo panel and the grill panel cover the complete width of the inside of the cab and sit between angled frame and speaker panel (therefor is screwed in) or if they are shorter in width and only sit on the speaker panel that is directly screwed/glued to the angled frame? (I hope you can imagine what I mean)

I've just ordered a hand router and will build a small routertable with the router mounted to the buttom. So I will be able to cut the finger joints the same way as with a table saw.

2. hepsen

hepsen Member

Yesterday I began cutting all parts to the right sizes and also wanted to cut the fingerjoints.

The diy table router worked fine.
    But I had the problem that it disrupted the last 2-3 plains of the ply when the router came through. So I had to stop.

Do you have an idea how to solve this problem? I tried different router speeds. I tried different moving directions. I tried to "fix" the front with tape but that didn't work either.

3. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

This one is EASY. Place a second layer of board (Either scrap ply or any scrap soft or hardwood) on the "Exit" side of your board that you are cutting the fingers into (clamp them together). It will reinforce the surface of your ply as you are cutting through it and any tear-out you will have will be in the sacrificial scrap.

Mouse, Donal, hepsen and 1 other person like this.
  4. hepsen

hepsen Member

Thank you, I will try that next weekend.

5. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GO HERE http://modulusamplification.com/FREE_CABINET_PLANS-W6.aspx
    1974 plans, to see what it looks like

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    RAG7890 likes this.
  6. hepsen

hepsen Member

So, after a while I had the time to keep working on the Box. I've managed to cut the fingerjoints but have to sand out the joints for a better fit.

IMG_20170615_182022.jpg
    IMG_20170615_165836.jpg

I already finished the grill earlier. But now I wonder if I planned correctly. My idea was to fix it beneath the angled front frame and the speaker panel. But now I think it may be better to screw the panel directly onto the frame and move the grill to the inside (then I do have to prepare a grill with smaller dimensions).

IMG_20170618_132634.jpg
    IMG_20170618_132653.jpg

What would you recommend?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Hepsen,

I don't have a good recommendation regarding how you attach your Grill cloth, but If you intend to attach your speaker baffle to the angled battens that you are using by screwing into them from the rear, you should be very careful, as you will be screwing into the ply laminations. This is VERY likely to cause those thin battens to split. Particularly after you start applying vibrations. I would at least use solid wood of some species for the battens, so that you can drill a pilot hole (close to the thread minimum) and not worry about the batten delaminating.

8. hepsen

hepsen Member

I see what you mean. I've got so many splits with this ply. Fortunately for now all on the inside. This ply from the supplier is so much worse than years ago when I built a Thiele cab.

9. hepsen

hepsen Member

Hello everyone,

After having a long discussion with our landlord about working (on the cab) on the terrace our lawyer pushed through that I can continue working.

Now I'd like to do the frame for the front. But I'm not sure about the angle. Does somebody owns a Bogner or similar 2x12 with an angled front and can measure at the top and bottom how deep the grill is set back from the front?

10. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

My 2x12 vert slant cab has a 12 degree angle. However, the baflle is built differently than yours.

Vert_8.jpg

Vertical2x12.jpg

Vert_9.jpg

RAG7890 and bilbarstow like this.
  11. hepsen

hepsen Member

Great cab!

I assume 12 degrees is a bit to much for the style of cab I am going to do.
    I guess it is set back somewhere around 2in in the top and .75in at the bottom. That would be a ~4 degree angle. But I'm not sure about it.