DIY 1x12 speaker cabinet plans

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by carissaiam, Sep 26, 2012.

1. carissaiam

carissaiam Senior Member

:wave: Hi, you guys are great. I was wanting to build my own speaker cab. Wondering some simple, dumb questions like:

1. Can I just screw in the sides instead of dovetailing?
    2. What are the Height, Width, Depth for a 1x12?
    3. What is a baffle, and where do I put it?

I know these are stupid questions, but just answer & don't ridicule my ignorance as I can't find any good info on Google(caps cuz it's officially considered a god lol). Thanks in advance.

Oh, i'm either putting a Peavey scorpion or eminence speaker in it if that helps.

2. reSINguitarist

reSINguitarist Senior Member

Speaking purely from experience in car audio, yes. You can screw the box together:naughty:. As for #2, I honestly don't know. Some of the guys here with more experience can steer you in a better direction than me. Third, the baffle would be the "front" of the box, where you mount the speaker.

Eli:wave:

Disclaimer: I've never in my life built a speaker cabinet for anything other than car audio, and that was several years ago. Take all advice/answers with a grain of salt.

1 person likes this.
  3. carissaiam

carissaiam Senior Member

Never mind, I looked up baffle on google & found some pics of it. Is it really that simple? Could I just cut out the baffle w/ a handsaw, screw some 1/2" pine together & voila?

Maybe I'm just thinking to hard:hmm:

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I built a closed-back 1x12" cab to match my DSL401..

18mm (3/4") ply for the back and sides and 10mm (3/8") ply for the baffle.
    Reinforced the corners with 1" square batons and simply glued and screwed together. Didn't bother dovetailing. Rounded off the corners, covered in Marshall elephant grain, got plastic corners, rivets, piping and logo from Marshall, friend gave me some black Marshall speaker cloth and T-bolts.

Installed a Celestion G12-75 that I got from eBay.

Overall cost was a bit more than $100 though, more like £100..

As for dimensions, I based the size on the DSL401 itself because I wanted the cab to be the same size. I suggest you drop onto a few websites like Marshall and Blackstar and get some dimensions from their product info pages. Shouldn't go too far wrong.

Got open or closed back and don't put any reflex ports in.

Good luck.. :)

5. kingedb

kingedb Senior Member

It really is that easy.

My suggestions:

1. Use 3/4" ply or pine for at least the baffle. Less likely to flex when your doing windmills. :laugh2: I'd use it throughout.

2. Take some time and think about what you want it to look like. There's a good chance you'll want to replace it sooner if you choose a shoddy road. I suggest doing finger or dovetails. Both for structural and aesthetic reasons.

3. Look up any and every 1x12 you played and liked. Choose one and snag the dimensions. The LxWxH are listed on most sites. If you haven't played any. Go do so.

Have fun man.

1 person likes this.
  6. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Speaking of car cabs.

My first cab was a simple subwoofer enclosure.

Cost: 20$ with jack on back and calculated port.

Speaker: 50$ Celestion G10s50

Cable: 2$

So for 72$ a complete and ported cab.

Maybe that is worth looking at?

Going to a store and just measuring the cab could also be a good way.
    A friend's cab for example.

Marshall's famous 4x12 was nothing more then just the most basic possible size for a cab with four twelve inchers. Nothing special. No mojo.

Just experiment.

If you get thumping, when you build it closed back, try it with a open back.

Or just start with open back to get an infinite baffle.

(Google infinite baffle for more help.)

You might want to look into standing wave too.

7. carissaiam

carissaiam Senior Member

:laugh2: lol, I could probably mess double knotting my tennis shoes. So, I basically can do whatever the heck I want to it and if it's pine or birch and has a good speaker, then it should do the job.

[quoteJust experiment.

If you get thumping, when you build it closed back, try it with a open back.

Or just start with open back to get an infinite baffle.

(Google infinite baffle for more help.)

You might want to look into standing wave too][/quote]

Yeah I'll try an open back, it being the easiest. I heard if you buy a speaker on ebay, you still need wires and stuff get it going.

What exactly electronic do I need along w/ a speaker? Thanks

8. onioner

onioner Senior Member

Screws are imperfect, and can work loose and create rattle. I think you'd be better off with reinforced butt ends, glued, which is still very easy to do.

A jack and a little bit of speaker wire.

9. carissaiam

carissaiam Senior Member

:headbanger:Well guys, that about wraps up this thread. Thanks for all the great advice, and rock on!:headbanger:

10. rumblebox

rumblebox Senior Member

subscribing for future photos