dist pedal sounds thin changes tone drastically

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by kook, Aug 22, 2017.

1. kook

kook Senior Member

Ty i will try this

2. kook

kook Senior Member

I will and ty for the compliment on my amps..i really dig em

bulletproof likes this.
  3. kook

kook Senior Member

Ty for the compliments on my amps..thought id share this pic..im proud of my collection..and ty for all the replies

Attached Files:

Meatwad, bulletproof and bocage44 like this.
  4. bocage44

bocage44 Premium Member

I sometimes use my vintage Rat in front of a Fender Deluxe as a boost. The trick is to not use so much distortion - in fact, (say the 7:00 position is 0) I rarely turn the distortion past 9:00. Adjust the Volume to unity, then go past that point for how ever much of a boost you need. The Filter knob can be set to whatever sounds good to you.

The volume kick, coupled with a little bit of distortion, can be great in bringing out a solo.

BanditPanda and bulletproof like this.
  5. bocage44

bocage44 Premium Member

Nice amp collection BTW....

bulletproof likes this.
  6. kook

kook Senior Member

I really just put the rat into dist..maybe 10oclock filter around 5oclock volume around 3 oclock..im really starting to wonder if its the eq pedal not meshing with the dist pedals..im thinking my eq volume level may be set to high..ill try tonight and ty for the compliment on collection im proud of it..gathered throughout my life

bulletproof likes this.
  7. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hot Damn, brother!!!! Outstanding!!! :applause::applause::applause:

8. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Too cool, man. Thanks for posting the pic.

9. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Also could you be getting phase issues from the amps? They are probably in phase normally but when you step on the dirt, that side gets inverted cancelling out some of your signal, making it sound thinner. Does your a-b box have a phase switch on it? You could test the theory by putting another pedal on in the chain (like an MXR boost which would invert the phase - just set it for unity gain so it doesn't mess things up sonically)

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Be sure to let us know what the problem was.
    Having researched both your amps it is definitely not the Ampeg that is failing you in terms of bottom end. The EKO being somewhat Voxish could fail you in terms of bottom end but as you have surmised it is definitely in the pedals. I do wonder why you would use distortion pedals for sustain or volume boosts. As bulletproof said there are a lot of really good pedals out there that can provide sustain and volume without the use of distortion.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. kook

kook Senior Member

I have tested by ear the phasing between the amps but not with dist pedals depressed..my dist pedals only go to the EKO i run the ampeg clean...

12. kook

kook Senior Member

Im not too versed on pedals for pretty much my whole life all i used was the rat in front of my marshall..but tastes change, popular tones change ect..now im diggin the bluesy black keys , alabama shakes kinda tone and im trying different sounds in my songs rather than just straight guitar...could you elaborate on the pedals that can boost sustain ?

13. kook

kook Senior Member

Ty for all the replies you guys rule...so im messin with my pedals..tried the big muff..def not for me,...so if i have my eq pedal on with output boosted just a bit i love the tone. Now thats just eq no dist on...on the other hand if i have my rat on very little dist (no eq pedal on) i love that tone as well they are somewhat similar just giving amp the boost it needs to drive it to the tone i like...normally i leave eq on all the time thats the way i have been playing lately..and kick on the rat for the boost(boost but sound becomes thin)..therein lies the issue..the 2 pedals i think dont play nice together..so im thinkin i need to try these boost/sustain pedals you guys have mentioned..

Attached Files:

bulletproof and rogue3 like this.
  14. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

You could start by looking into compressor pedals. I use the inexpensive Joyo Scorpion but have no fear the sky is the limit in terms of compressors.
    Then look into over drive pedals. I am currently using the Xotic BB Preamp.
    Then look into amp in a box pedals. I am currently using the Marvel 3 FX Drive.
    It goes without saying that it is all a matter of personal preference however imo over drive is preferable to distortion however it is also a matter of musical genre.

15. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

sounds like the two pedals in that series orientation load the signal down...just a check,i assume you have swapped them around? eq first,and then rat, with the same results?(your original description has the eq after the distortion). In this orientation(eq first), you will set the eq(to thicken the sound) at a level that sounds nice with the rat engaged.then punch out the rat to see how it sounds with just eq.hopefully the eq setting sounds good without the rat engaged, as you mention you like leaving it (eq)on pretty much all the time.If this works, the Rats boost is optimized by the eq the way you like, improving the thinning of the sound. just a suggestion....idk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  16. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

If you are stacking dirt, then try turning the gain down on each too.

17. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have two boost pedals that I swear by,brother.....the Xotic EP and the Xotic RC. Either one or combined can be a great experience. And thanks to the 'Bay and Reverb ,they can be had for a dime and some gum.

18. kook

kook Senior Member

I was thinking this exact thing..i have not tried swapping yet..but i will fot sure

19. kook

kook Senior Member

Ty guys..im gonna try a few things, maybe an over drive..and some of the other pedals mentioned...i do have it sounding much better..i noticed the output on eq was cranked real high..happened in transit to last gig .brought that down..tuned down the dist on both pedals...so im ok with it for now..but the quest for the holy grail tone continues...ty all...ill post results of my new pedals on this thread as i get them

20. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I don't know what those amps are doing with your signal, but I do wonder if they are limiting the lower mids and bass tones coming through your signal chain. After all, the amp -- not just the pedals -- has to be able to create the sounds you want. If the amps can in fact produce those lower drive tones (which takes a fair degree of power -- treble is easily produced) then I would do as others suggest and change pedals to ones with a greater tonal range and control. The Distortion+, especially, has little depth. If you're just not getting the lower drive tones you want, and you're sure the amps are not the limiting factor, a graphic equalizer can often dial things in remarkably well. You can both cut and boost, and even a standard 7-band EQ offers enough control to shape your tone as you want.