dist pedal sounds thin changes tone drastically

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by kook, Aug 22, 2017.

1. kook

kook Senior Member

So im using 2 amps a 1965 gemini and a 1965 EKO viscount (ac30ish)..i have an a/b box on my pedal board..anyways, my dist pedals both go into the EKO, im using a rat(vintage) and a mxr distorion plus(vintage)..im looking to boost the sound(without pedals) i already have add a little fullness, sustain and volume when i kick on pedal...but to my ears either pedal just seems to change the tone drastically removing any low end and sounding thin..my chain goes like this
    Guitar--crybaby--a/b box--rat--dist+--eq--echo--harmonizer--amp(eko).
    Any suggestions ? On what i might try, new pedals?, buffer, chain order,
    Ty all

2. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Some distortion pedals are like that.

I had the classic yellow MXR Distortion+ that did that. I used it for some ratty blown-out sounds, but in the end it was just too thin and tone-destroying for my taste.

3. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Cool amps!....Both the RAT and D+ have (imo) a signature flavor that can't be dialed out. You might try adjusting your EQ.... but... if you are looking to boost the sound without pedals then pickups I would image would be something to look into.

bulletproof likes this.
  4. Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal Senior Member

I got rid of my Bixonic Expandora because of this, cool sound but way too thin for my tastes.

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Sounds like you want fat distortion, which IMO is some kind of muff pedal.

Rhust and bulletproof like this.
  6. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Although you mentioned that you don't want to increase your pedal chain, I can't help but think that you'll be able to solve your problem with a good booster pedal. Perhaps the Buffalo FX Power Booster or the Analogman Beano booster (I've heard good things about Lovepedal's COT50 as well).

I use the Buffalo FX and I love it.

A good booster in combination with a fuzz pedal (as per @northernguitarguy's suggestion) is all you really need.

...of course chasing the perfect fuzz pedal is one hell of a rabbit-hole to enter (albeit a fun one).

Anyway, I think that the Rat stacked with a booster would sound great.

Good luck!

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Look into putting a buffer near the front of your chain.

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

The Beano is a treble booster which I have one. It will only increase his hi frequency and diminish his lows which is the problem he is having.

9. BanditPanda

A buffer restores hi frequencies lost due to capacitance. He is already experiencing a problem with loss of lows and subsequently too much hi frequency

10. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Good point. The Buffalo FX Power Booster has an EQ allowing for significantly more flexibility, such as boosting the low end. Certainly a better recommendation than the Beano, as you've pointed out. I would still recommend that the OP experiment with a good booster pedal.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Actually, considering the 2 dirt pedals, it isn't likely too many high frequencies, but an over abundance of high mids.

12. BanditPanda

Well a coupla things but I ain't no expert!
    Your vintage amps for one thing do not have gain stages. That's prolly why you're using 2 distortion pedals is that right?
    What style of music are you playing? If you're playing metal I will venture that you've simply got the wrong amps for the job. But then again maybe there are successful metal bands using those very amps? Like I said I'm no expert !
    Check your wah. Do you use it in the cocked position ? Check it's default position.
    Those amps are vintage so there is no FX Loop right?
    My suggestion is that you've got to work with your amps eq section and your on board eq. There should be no reason why you cannot dial in bottom end.( or dial out some of the hi)
    The speakers in your amps are also vintage I presume.
    I'm thinking you're attempting to play Modern Hi Gain music with equipment that is simply not built to produce it. But like I said......lol.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  13. BanditPanda

Maybe so but a buffer won't help that cause.

14. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sounds to me like you have one or more pedals that dont play nice with the others....If it were me,I would experiment with taking all out of the chain but one and then by matter of elimination,target the culprit. In the past Ive had pedals that sound great by themselves,but,put in front/behind some others and it would just wreck it. Keep us updated,man. There are some damn good pedals out there right now,brother....

Side Note: Killer amps,brother!!! :dude:

Gooner, Kris Ford and BanditPanda like this.
  15. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Check each pedal,one at a time,individually straight into the amp...including the wah. Just to rule out the biggest tone sucker.If the dist. pedals give you the same sonic issue,one at a time,they are your issue.

16. kook

kook Senior Member

I have a big muff, ill try it tonight but i thing i had same issue

bulletproof likes this.
  17. kook

kook Senior Member

Pretty sure some of the pedals in the chain are buffered already

18. kook

kook Senior Member

I dont use the dist pedals at the same time..just if i want a bit more sustain and or volume for solos or to fill some gaps in music where i need a longer sustain...i dont play metal...the sound i get straight from the amps is great..kinda black keysish...my wah is also not on all the time only on a couple songs and or solos....def no effects loop...i have a modern Alnico redfang in the gemini and 2 vintage jensen c12's in the EKO..kinda funny american voiced amp with british voiced speaker and a british voiced amp with american voiced speaker..now you know my secret for my sweet open sound haha

bulletproof likes this.
  19. kook

kook Senior Member

This is what im thinking too..im thinkin the culprit could be my eq pedal

bulletproof likes this.
  20. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yup,refer to my other post,brother. A matter of elimination....:yesway: